90125- Rating out of 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90125- Rating out of 5?

A band that was to be called cinema now reborn, what is your take on this one?
    55.56%
    22.22%
    14.81%
    3.70%
    3.70%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

No discussion needed, right?

Comment

Some neat toons. Changes. It Can Happen. Hearts.

But overall the glossy production sheen is overdone. Sterile at times. Rabin sings a bit. Then Jon sings a bit. Songwritin'by committee. The don't go toledo song and the jive and jingle song are low points in the canon.

No magic dust. Apart from bits of Hearts.

Comment

First three songs and then Cinema & Leave It, love those five tracks. Changes and Hearts leave me a little cold actually. City of Love & Toledo are fun, not really worried about those guys. Overall I like it less than Drama & BG but I like it better than I used to think I ever would. 3 stars.
        ⭐⭐⭐

Comment

Even if you're a strict trooper, and the change was too much at the time. this album nailed it. Its pleasing in a forceful Yes way, albeit westward..
          Hearts, Our song, Hold on, Changes are particular favorites. Next comes City of Love, Cinema and It can happen. Owner and Leave it are at the bottom, for me.

Comment

Unusual album. I'll go 4.

The GOOD:

Yes reimagined as a hybrid ZTT act/AOR type band. Well, it kinda worked! Great spacious production. Every nook and cranny filled with either sound or space but not one wasted note. Not sure if I can even explain this album correctly. But this is a very 'city' album - it reminds me of the big city. At night. Neon. This is concise and compact Yes music, maybe closer in spirit to the original band than many realize.
            Owner Of A Lonely Heart, I may have first heard the song on Solid Gold - an American Bandstand type show of the early/mid 80's with ridiculous choreographed dancing. Even for undancible songs. The first time I heard of a band named 'Yes'.
            Jon Anderson and - shock - Tony Kaye are back - only the rhythm section and the singer, now promoted/demoted to producer, remaining from the previous Drama.
            True, 90125 doesn't focus on lengthy opuses or flashy keyboard solos, but it still has an adventurous streak. Keys are panoramic and neon.
            Changes is a radio classic, but that intro is somethin' else. Hearts is close to Going For The One album in spirit. Swap "As we go down life's riverrrr" with "High vibration go on..." at the end and you'll see that kind of works. Love It Can Happen, this version or Cinema's. And I do adore 'Our Song', the one track I can see Howe playing. Again, it's pretty Yes.

BAD:

Not knowing anything about Cinema, one could wonder why Yes had reformed around this new guy. I like his vocals, but some might have wondered why he got to sing near whole songs, who is this Rabin guy? It may have been an adjustment to make for a lot of fans. Maybe 'City Of Love' is a little too minimal/rock for some, though I like those cicada sounding keyboards in there. Not much 'bad' about the album, it's just a different animal.
            Inside sleeve is minimal - no band photos during an era of pouty band photos was kinda risky.

The UGLY:

Squire's bass seems a little toned down for this album.

A very happening album, glossy and hip. A night time album.
            Faves include It Can Happen, Hearts, Our Song, Cinema, this album needs to be revisited live immediately.

Comment

Much better than the hysteria around back then. it was the second hysteria Drama being a big one, so it got out of proportons. It's not a classical progressive (regressive?) album, but in a category of its own. Far from perfect, but it actually showed that you can sound modern, and arena rock like and still be creative. I don't like City of Love, but I love the rest, and I still listen to the album often.
              What to rate it? Since it's its own category, then a 5.

Comment

A 5 from me. The live show rocked. It was great to see Tony Kaye live.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                  Unusual album. I'll go 4.

Not knowing anything about Cinema, one could wonder why Yes had reformed around this new guy. I like his vocals, but some might have wondered why he got to sing near whole songs, who is this Rabin guy?
                  Does anyone else find it hard to remember the pre-internet era, when stuff just, you know, showed up, and unless you were reading some trade magazines, you could be just as mystified as anyone as to why this album, with these people, now? The closest thing to an upcoming release schedule down at the local record store was often way more hopeful than accurate, and then out of the blue one day, bam, Big Generator. Now, by the time the album comes out, we generally know the whole sordid history, tracklist, production credits, everything.

Comment

There was a bunch of press around the album, if I recall. I still think it's one of the band's best albums.

Comment

A successful album for the re-vamped Trevor Rabin Band, but of little musical interest to me. The first time I heard it was in my girlfriend's bedroom, when she was still living at her parents before she moved in with me, early 1984. It was not going to be an album I had sex to, and it wasn't.
                      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I like it. A good regeneration of what had become a rather tired and irrelevant band, there are some great tunes in there and plenty of energy. If anything, I've become more fond of it over the years. A strong four stars.

Comment

Two stars. Like Ash said, little musical interest here. The price paid for commercial success was too high IMO.
                          Hold On and City Of Love are abominations. By the first verse all aspirations of Changes are down the drain.
                          Hearts wants to be To Be Over, but only the very ending of it has any grandeur.
                          Cinema is a throwaway.
                          Now for the good parts.
                          It Can Happen is entertaining. Leave It is innovative. And Our Song is a very catchy pop song, with Chris shining throughout.
                          And Owner... I guess the production and the off the wall solo make it interesting.
                          Last edited by Ceasar’s Palace; 05-09-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

A solid 4

They reinvented themselves with a modern 80's vibe that influenced and set the bar high for popular music in the 80's. Not only the songs, but the production and mix. A big plus of the genius of Trevor Horn and Chris driving the bus, and molding Rabin into something very cool. And of course the return of Jon who took the songs to a new level. It's no Relayer, and I only skip 1 song on it, but a classic album in it's own right...

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                              A successful album for the re-vamped Trevor Rabin Band, but of little musical interest to me. The first time I heard it was in my girlfriend's bedroom, when she was still living at her parents before she moved in with me, early 1984. It was not going to be an album I had sex to, and it wasn't.
                              Did you ever have sex to CTTE? GoD?

Comment

Working...
                              X