Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yesshows original cover design

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Yesshows original cover design

    Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1644096816003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	6748 Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1644096816003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	6749 Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1644096820238.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.9 KB ID:	6750 According to author Dave Watkinson the cover for the proposed live album that subsequently became Yesshows in 1980 was probably going to be by Jeff Cummins. He's a commercial artist, very successful in his chosen field. Lots of magazine covers, pictures of TV and film characters (Bruce Lee, Six Million Dollar Man, Doctor Who), and an assortment of album covers. He draws from photographs mostly, in a sort of photo-realistic cartoon-ey style.
    He did the cover for Whitesnake's Live in the Heart of the City, and a Ted Nugent album where his guitar was doubling as a machine gun. He also did the Wings Over America cover. Apparently there's one of his photo-realistic paintings on the inner cover. I don't know the album and I've not seen it.
    I for one am heartily glad that the Yesshows 1978 project didn't come together with a cover by trashy commercial artist Jeff Cummins. No colour painting is known to still exist, just the pencil drawing. That's bad enough. Dave thinks it's great and is going to interview him about it.
    Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 02-05-2022, 12:36 PM.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

    #2
    Er, why is the Roger Dean lettering on the pencil sketches? Are we saying that this guy designed it originally and then Roger copied it? Or did he copy it from Roger?

    Francis Monkman needs to know... 😉

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
      Er, why is the Roger Dean lettering on the pencil sketches? Are we saying that this guy designed it originally and then Roger copied it? Or did he copy it from Roger?

      Francis Monkman needs to know... 😉
      Dunno about that, but the Dean logo/lettering is on the covers of Tormato and Going For the One as well so I guess deals were done and money changed hands somewhere along the line.
      Looking at the Whitesnake cover, with Coverdale's rolled-sock pelvis thrusting forward, I have an image of Jon Anderson in a similar pose which I'd like removed from my brain as soon as possible....
      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

      Comment


        #4
        Remember realizing one day that Roger's snowy landscape was in fact inside a snow cave and there was a bigger world "outside". Or is it my imagination? Look at the total painting. Top left has a hole with an outer atmosphere.

        Yesshows came out before Drama? One of my fave Roger. Love how he does snow drifts. Also why I dig the cover for Live in Las Vegas and the cover for One Live Badger.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 02-05-2022, 02:45 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

          Dunno about that, but the Dean logo/lettering is on the covers of Tormato and Going For the One as well so I guess deals were done and money changed hands somewhere along the line.
          Yeah, but GFTO and Tormato have the Yes logo with just typeface for the album title. No input required from Dean, just his sign off on the logo being used.

          Yesshows is clearly an album title logo. He'd do that to appear with another artist's cover design? Why would they employ two artists? Why not get new lettering from the new guy (a la Peter Max)?

          My guess is that this chap has done his "artwork" after the fact and incorporated Dean's title logo, quite possibly without permission. All I'm seeing here is a pencil sketch based on photo which seems to be contemporary with the photos that appear on the actual album cover.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post

            Yeah, but GFTO and Tormato have the Yes logo with just typeface for the album title. No input required from Dean, just his sign off on the logo being used.

            Yesshows is clearly an album title logo. He'd do that to appear with another artist's cover design? Why would they employ two artists? Why not get new lettering from the new guy (a la Peter Max)?

            My guess is that this chap has done his "artwork" after the fact and incorporated Dean's title logo, quite possibly without permission. All I'm seeing here is a pencil sketch based on photo which seems to be contemporary with the photos that appear on the actual album cover.
            Who knows how it would have turned out if they'd gone ahead with the original project and design?
            I'd still love a fully-realised live set from 1978/9, but not with with this awful 'art'.
            Jeff Cummins was, it's said, the go-to artist for Radio Times covers....
            Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
            Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

            Comment

            Working...
            X