Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

​​​​​​​What albums (and respective tours) do you associate with a reinvigorated YES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

​​​​​​​What albums (and respective tours) do you associate with a reinvigorated YES?

What studio releases (and their respective tours) do you associate with a reinvigorated YES? The band seems happy, in good form with a shift in direction.

Interesting question! *re* invigorated implies some kind of slump beforehand, so CTTE is out, but:

- GFTO
    - Drama
    - ABWH
    - The Ladder
    - The Quest

Are the ones that come to mind. Maybe not coincidentally, they feel, to me, the most collaborative on these albums, like they're actually playing with each other, not against each other.

Comment

Seems to me that every time there's a "new" (not "returning") band member, there's a reinvigoration

TYA
      Fragile
      TfTO
      Relayer
      Drama
      OYE
      Ladder
      FFH
      H&E

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
        Interesting question! *re* invigorated implies some kind of slump beforehand, so CTTE is out, but:

- GFTO
        - Drama
        - ABWH
        - The Ladder
        - The Quest

Are the ones that come to mind. Maybe not coincidentally, they feel, to me, the most collaborative on these albums, like they're actually playing with each other, not against each other.
        I agree with most of these, in particular GFTO, 90125 and ABWH. I think there was excitement in the air with these three releases and respective tours.

I have mixed feelings about Drama in this sense. The new sound was new for YES but to me was a reaction to what we were hearing from new wave groups such as the Police, the Cars and others. When a local radio station debuted the entire album, I couldn't help to notice the extensive use of 8th note beats that was typically the backbone of new wave and punk. I don't notice it as much now when I listen to Drama because I'm used to it being part of YES. I also felt that they were trying to keep the band (and the booked tour) going after losing Jon and Rick.

If I had to pick another album post 1990 it would be The Ladder.

Comment

What everyone here has said so far sounds about right. A new member often reinvigorates, and also sometimes the first album in a set is a new beginning or refresh: GFTO but not Tormato, 90125 but not Big Generator, etc. Some albums have followups, but some are on their own as the beginnings of new eras.

Here's some that feel like a band happy/reinvigorated:

GOING FOR THE ONE: the return of Rick to try to reclaim some magic from first half of the 70's
          DRAMA: surviving loss of two main members by tightening up and unifying the Yes sound for current era
          90125: the reinvention of Yes as a sleek 80's band
          ABWH: the return of Classic 70's Yes members in a fresher 80's framework
          TALK: using computer technology to further a futuristic Yes sound
          LADDER: making up for lesser received OYE by delivering more positive effort
          FLY FROM HERE: return of Yes as recording entity with new members merging with Drama era to create masterful comeback
          THE QUEST: happiness and contentment as a band unit in later life

I could also say Magnification too maybe.

Comment

After I discovered Yes I'd say:
            ABWH
            Talk
            OYE Tour
            Masterworks Tour
            40th Tour
            2008 Tour
            FFH

Comment

Definitely the OYE and Ladder tours with Billy and Igor.

Comment

The Cocaine Years tours

Comment

OYE and The Ladder. I don't care much for either album personally other than Homeworld, but the tours with Igor in the band were terrific ( I saw 1 OYE and 2 Ladder shows) The band seemed genuinely happy and into it on stage, especially Steve.

Comment

Working...
                  X