Growth during break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growth during break

Has the forum grown in activity in the months I was on hiatus? It seems there’s a lot more people online at one time than from March-April.

Seems that way to me! John could probably confirm that. It’s definitely alive and kicking, thankfully.

Comment

I think it has grown. I am more of a lurker than a frequent poster. I check in several times each day, and usually can find interesting topics and meaningful conversations. I’m really glad that John took this on, and has provided a forum where we can share our Yesthoughts.

Comment

Thought at first this was about puttin' on kilos durin' lockdown.

NewYesfans. Onward. And upward. 😍

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

NewYesfans. Onward. And upward. 😍
          Same. Hahah

Comment

I see a lot of new people posting on the threads about Alan. Hope they stick around.

Comment

To be honest from the analytics, I don't see any jumps, but a small constant growth, I hope one day maybe by next year we'll reach the 1k members mark
              "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Esthe View Post
                Has the forum grown in activity in the months I was on hiatus? It seems there’s a lot more people online at one time than from March-April.
                At this moment in time, 2022.05.28 @ 1219PM PDT there are

33 users online. 5 members and 28 guests.

So, only 5 members. The 28 guests could be lurkers and random folks checkin' it out after some oddball Google search, but most likely it's Bots gathering info for their respective search engines.

Alan's passing may also account for an uptick in non-member visits.
                Last edited by pianozach; 05-28-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                  In true American fashion, I only put on pounds. I'd be happy to adopt the British usage if it'd take them off my body and into my wallet, though.
                  "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
                    At this moment in time, 2022.05.28 @ 1219PM PDT there are

33 users online. 5 members and 28 guests.

So, only 5 members.
                    Guests still view the ads and help the search engine rankings. Maybe some of them even use old fashioned word of mouth or hyperlinks to spread the word about the site.

That type of ratio isn't really unusual. It also isn't unusual to have a high number of registered members relative to active posters.

Some are just here to read the free content. Nothing wrong with that.

Also worth noting is that because Yes has an international audience that really is spread out all over the world, there aren't typically going to be the same peak numbers of people all visiting the site at once as one would find in a group with fandom predominantly centered in a single geographical region. Yes fandom has significant numbers of people from the United States and Canada, the United Kingdom and Europe, and Australia and I would guess New Zealand.

When it's 8pm on the west coast of North America, it's 11pm on the east coast of North America, 4am in most of the UK, 11am in Perth Australia, and 1:30pm on Lord Howe Island in Australia.

Though that kind of timezones spread does prevent everyone from being on at the time time, typically, it also means that at any given time, someone is here. The sun never sets on the Yes fan empire. . If you can't fall asleep late at night and are involved on a forum or something similar for a hobby where most people are congregated in one region, there's not much new content to view after you catch up on the content from earlier. Here, there's always fresh stuff.

It also affords us some neat moments, like when we realized "The Ice Bridge" was debuting on Yes' official YouTube channel one time zone at a time when the clock struck midnight and it became release day for the single. It's also interesting to get international perspectives on music and any other topics we stumble into discussing.

We would probably have folks from Japan here, where Yes tours from time to time, if not for the language barrier.

Alan's passing may also account for an uptick in non-member visits.
                    That was the way of it with the old site, too- more visitors when there was big news. Hopefully some of our new visitors will stick around, register, and chime in on some threads when they are comfortable.
                    Last edited by downbyariver; 05-29-2022, 08:34 AM.
                    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by Roundabob View Post
                      I’m really glad that John took this on, and has provided a forum where we can share our Yesthoughts.
                      I agree. From where I am sitting, this has been quite a success, and I am glad John agreed to take it on. We've shown that there is still a market for a Yes web forum and, frankly, it has come to feel like it's predecessor very quickly in all the good ways that matter.

I even find myself referring to things in the style of "A few years ago, we had a thread on this site where..." without realizing I've done it until after I've posted. Consciously, I know it's not the same site, but my subsconcious seems to think it is, which is what I was hoping for. I didn't want the old site to end, and so we created something in the same spirit, meaning that in a way, it didn't end.

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

When it's 8pm on the west coast of North America, it's 11pm on the east coast of North American, 4am in most of the UK, 11am in Perth Australia, and 1:30pm on Lord Howe Island in Australia.

Though that kind of timezones spread does prevent everyone from being on at the time time, typically, it also means that at any given time, someone is here. The sun never sets on the Yes fan empire. . If you can't fall asleep late at night and are involved on a forum or something similar for a hobby where most people are congregated in one region, there's not much new content to view after you catch up on the content from earlier. Here, there's always fresh stuff.

It also affords us some neat moments, like when we realized "The Ice Bridge" was debuting on Yes' official YouTube channel one time zone at a time when the clock struck midnight and it became release day for the single. It's also interesting to get international perspectives on music and any other topics we stumble into

Great fun when those songs were dropped at midnight off TQ. To be the first in the world to hear TIB and then DTK and hot take 'em on the site. Almost makes up for the lack of tourin' down here.

Often late in the arvo, the fresh posts stop for about 8 hours. Spose y'all have to sleep. Come the dawn, there is usually 10 or so new fresh posts to read.

As a former British colony with strong ties to the motherland (and Ireland) a lot of events and cultural happenin's happen in the dead of night. Glad when world cups or olympics are given to Japan or China.

The site is bubblin' along OK. Core group, new members and Henry's sober imperical input to steer the ship.

Lookin' forward to readin' about the new UK tour and livin' vicariously through them. Also the Jublee. Should be fun and OTT Britishness.

Comment

So . . . all in all, thanks, John, for coming to the rescue. Personally I really appreciate it.

Sadly, I will rarely donate to help run the site . . . I'm just perpetually broke.

I make a great hourly salary, but generally only work 2-3 hours/day, being a musician and all that. We pinch our pennies, and shuffle the mortgage and utilities around, always being late on one bill or another.

Comment

Thanks guys, no worries, all is well, I just realized it's been just over six months since we did the move and overall I'm happy with how the 'yesfans spirit' survived

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

I even find myself referring to things in the style of "A few years ago, we had a thread on this site where..." without realizing I've done it until after I've posted. Consciously, I know it's not the same site, but my subsconcious seems to think it is, which is what I was hoping for. I didn't want the old site to end, and so we created something in the same spirit, meaning that in a way, it didn't end.
                              Thank you, that's cool mission accomplished

Comment

Working...
                              X