Replacing the non-Roger Dean Yes covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the non-Roger Dean Yes covers

If you had to replace all of the non-Dean Yes album covers with pieces of Roger Dean art, which would you choose?

We already know what he had in mind for Going for the One, but what about the rest?
    • Yes
    • Time and a Word
    • Tormato
    • Big Generator
    • Talk
    • Magnification
    Roger's gallery: https://www.rogerdean.com/fine-art/

Originally posted by OnwardToSunhillow View Post
    If you had to replace all of the non-Dean Yes album covers with pieces of Roger Dean art, which would you choose?

We already know what he had in mind for Going for the One, but what about the rest?
    • Yes
    • Time and a Word
    • Tormato
    • Big Generator
    • Talk
    • Magnification
    Roger's gallery: https://www.rogerdean.com/fine-art/
    None - I would - if I join this little game - instead replace most of the Dean-Yes-covers from the 90s till now...
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 12-20-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Admired 90215's total 180 from fantasy landscapes. The sleek modern sheen of it all. Reinforced a certain corporate nature of the band. From all concerned. Slick 80's power pop. Loud drums. Short staccato guitar breaks. Pedestrian bass. Synth patches of keys. Professional management. Generic general-messages-of-hope-songs for a mass audience.

So the return of Dean for ABWH was a breath of fresh air. Art before commerce. Multi-suite songs. Beautiful acoustic guitar. Poetic lyrics. Even piercing power play machine lyric aims and doesn't miss. Quirky. Curious.

B. Dread and the cool running. Brits in the Carribean. Balmy. Heat stroke.

Upshot: no replacement Dean covers. The other ones (apart from the hipgnosis ones) perfectly describe their corporate-rawk contents. A salutary warning. A sign of the greed-is-good 80's. Magnification a misstep too. The live DVD was much better. Truly great.

So after a lot of samey Dean live album covers. Live into Vegas was definitely back to form. And the expansive TQ. Brings a smile everytime. Thawing ice. Brilliant. Homage to Chris stone column. Poignant.

To replace all the covers would muddy the waters and misrepresent the art inside.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post

None - I would instead replace most of the Dean-Yes-covers from the 90s till now...
        I agree with the first word of your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
          Admired 90215's total 180 from fantasy landscapes. The sleek modern sheen of it all. Reinforced a certain corporate nature of the band. From all concerned. Slick 80's power pop. Loud drums. Short staccato guitar breaks. Pedestrian bass. Synth patches of keys. Professional management. Generic general-messages-of-hope-songs for a mass audience.

So the return of Dean for ABWH was a breath of fresh air. Art before commerce. Multi-suite songs. Beautiful acoustic guitar. Poetic lyrics. Even piercing power play machine lyric aims and doesn't miss. Quirky. Curious.

B. Dread and the cool running. Brits in the Carribean. Balmy. Heat stroke.

Upshot: no replacement Dean covers. The other ones (apart from the hipgnosis ones) perfectly describe their corporate-rawk contents. A salutary warning. A sign of the greed-is-good 80's. Magnification a misstep too. The live DVD was much better. Truly great.

So after a lot of samey Dean live album covers. Live into Vegas was definitely back to form. And the expansive TQ. Brings a smile everytime. Thawing ice. Brilliant. Homage to Chris stone column. Poignant.

To replace all the covers would muddy the waters and misrepresent the art inside.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH
          ​ I always thought that buildung ABWH after the truely playful and imaginative great Big Generator was Yes' most commercial attempt so far. They desperatly tried to revive the 70s version of Yes most of all with those massive doodling keyboards, but without great compositions (Brother Of Mine and Quartet as exceptions) and with not much sense for timing, textures and sound.

And the cover of the ABWH-album to me smelled not like fresh air but like regression. Teakbois and Birthright done with maybe good intentions to deliver something new, but both didn't work out, Teakbois sounding even more like a cheap parody. In fact it was the beginning of the end of Yes being visionary. Only Talk and Magnification - both with non-Dean-covers by the way - discovered real new ground. Interesting how Yesfans-views can differ ​​

Comment

Yes, my friend, must agree to disagree (except I do dig BG)...

The ABWH thrilled me because Roger had finally changed continents to America and conifers, death valley rock formations, eagles. He has only painted 1 or 2 Australian landscapes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
              The ABWH thrilled me because Roger had finally changed continents to America and conifers, death valley rock formations, eagles. He has only painted 1 or 2 Australian landscapes.
              ... so then... that changes everything, of course...

Comment

Working...
              X