X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas

Great to see Tom with them
    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

I'm hoping that the departure of Zak Rizvi doesn't break up the momentum they've got going with The Prelude Implicit and The Absence of Presence. Outside of Point of Know Return and Leftoverture, which are never going to be equaled or bettered, I think the two most recent Kansas albums are as good as anything else they've ever done (Not necessarily better than, but equal to, sometimes in a different way.). I'd love to see more new albums perhaps at a more frequent clip.

Rizvi wrote a lot of those two albums, which makes his departure a major blow creatively, but Tom Brislin was also a major force on The Absence of Presence (The Prelude Implicit was from before he joined the band), some of the other band members contributed, and they could always find an outside writer to help out if needed. It's just that when I see the major creative force from recent albums leave an older band, I start to get worried. I think for many of these bands the temptation is just to play their 20th century hits and not worry about recording anything new, and since I only very occasionally attend concerts (and not at all since the pandemic started), my primary interest is in the new studio albums of original material, which one can enjoy for a lifetime.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 11-16-2021, 10:12 AM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

The recent recording is supposed to be pretty good, have heard a little. Must check it out further.

Comment

Tom, er Kansas are playing very close to me, in a brand new venue that just opened, next month.Sadly, I am not going to get vaccinated just to see indoor shows at this point. I feel really bad for bands and artists during the pandemic.

Comment

I’d be more interested in a new album with Sea Within. There were some nice tunes on their debut.

Comment

I’ve seen Kansas twice in the last few years, on their 40th anniversary tours for Leftoverture and Point of Know Return. They were really great and for a band with almost no original members, including no original vocalists, they sounded very much like Kansas. Sad that Zak has left, but I’m sure they will find someone new and soldier on.

Comment

Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post
              Great to see Tom with them
              Well it's wonderful!
              Kansas really wanted Tom and they made him a full member of the band. He wrote half the new album.
              When Tom toured with YES, when he toured with Meat Loaf, hecwas a hired gun, and this was fun, but not really letting Tom's creative and musical ideas be heard, and for a musician, to create is Life.
              I'm so happy that he was able to connect with these amazing musicians, who are also really great people, and they genuinely appreciate Tom. I'm looking forward to whatever is to come❤

Comment

Working...
              X