Rick Wakeman Still Bewildered by 'Close to the Edge'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Wakeman Still Bewildered by 'Close to the Edge'

Released in 1972, the LP was the British band's fifth and remains a classic work in the prog genre. In a recent interview with The Mercury News, the keyboardist – a member of Yes during five separate stints – was asked to settle fan discussions by naming the band's greatest work. He chose Close to the Edge without hesitation.

“It’s almost 50 years old, and I don’t know technically how the hell we made that album,” Wakeman said. “We did things that really we shouldn’t be able to do, technically. I think it was the last album made … where technology was way behind what musicians wanted to do. Certainly with us. So to me, it’s a very very special album. And I think it was during the period of time when the band was at one of its peaks; everyone was playing really well.”

The ‘we’ should definitely include Eddie Offord.

Comment

All this plugging CTTE. I'll eat my hat if we don't get a 50th celebration boxset this year. Dean has painted extra new paintings for it. Wakeman is supposed to lunch with Howe to perhaps work through an upcoming media onslaught.

The stars are aligning. 🤩

PS: find it funny that Rick never tweets/can't tweet when he goes Stateside. Password, charging issues?
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X