Retro 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro 1 & 2

Are there any fans of Rick Wakeman's two "Retro" albums released in 2006/7? As the name suggests, the albums are recorded entirely on vintage keyboard equipment, Moog synths, Hammond organ, mellotron, etc. The overall sound is incredible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	2969Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	2970

I've always felt that Rick's vocal songs tend to be a bit on the cheesy side, and that his taste in singers leaves a lot to be desired, and there's no exception here. However, I've grouped all of the instrumentals from both albums into a single compilation, and it's without a doubt the most enjoyable hour of music I've heard from Rick since Criminal Record, beating The Red Planet by some distance. Sure, it's not really anything we haven't heard from Rick before, but he does it better than anyone else. It actually makes me even more sad that we didn't get one last album from the classic lineup between 2002-2004, specifically one with Rick limiting himself to this sort of equipment. These tracks are full of passages that would have fit perfectly into ambitious, long-form Yes compositions.

Suggested tracklist:
    1. Chasing The Devil
    2. One In The Eye
    3. Beyond The Void
    4. Waveform
    5. The Soundtrack
    6. The Fairground Shuffle
    7. Standing Room Only
    8. Tigger The Bounce
    9. Can You Smell Burning?
    Attached Files

I do have them both. Haven’t listened in a long time. This will prime me to do so! Agree singers have been hit or miss. Lol. I personally like Ashely Holt. Many do not. I would like if he did another with Damian Wilson also.

Anyhow to make it interesting for me I will use your mix!

Comment

If only this was the equipment Rick had used to record the ABWH and Keys sessions with, we wouldn’t be stuck with those dreadful, whiny synth patches. Ech.

Comment

Working...
      X