Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance of Jon releasing a Best Of

Good evening

Just browsing this forum being a big Yes fan and apologies if this has been discussed to ad nauseam. But is anyone in the know whether Jon will ever release a Best Of album of his solo work? I find his solo stuff a little hit and miss but a compilation made up of Song Of Seven, Animation, bits of Olias etc would be a very decent release. Thanks!

Originally posted by Snowrelayer View Post
    Good evening

Just browsing this forum being a big Yes fan and apologies if this has been discussed to ad nauseam. But is anyone in the know whether Jon will ever release a Best Of album of his solo work? I find his solo stuff a little hit and miss but a compilation made up of Song Of Seven, Animation, bits of Olias etc would be a very decent release. Thanks!
    Not sure. Henry would be the one that would possibly know

Comment

I think this will mainly depend on where the rights of all those albums lie at the moment. If that is with different companies for different albums, then it's going to be pretty hard to create and release a compilation.

Then of course there is the big question whether the person who makes the compilation has the same idea of what the best tracks off, of those albums are, as you. I've found with several compilation albums of artists that isn't always the case. Which is why I either purchase whole albums or, in this digital age, the tracks I like from albums, and then make my own compilations.
      Last edited by Mr. Holland; 09-18-2022, 09:56 PM.

Comment

A few years ago I compiled a Youtube playlist of Jon Anderson guesting on other folks' songs:

Jon Anderson Greatest Hits - Guest Vocals Mix

(https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aTmi_VXajceoQi)
        Last edited by pianozach; 09-18-2022, 10:02 PM.

Comment

There is, or was, a 'Best of' Jon and Vangelis released. It may have been reissued after Vangelis' death, I don't know.
          ​​​​​​
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Jon has been curating his own 4 volume Best Of compilation on his Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/JonAndersonOfficial/playlists

Comment

I think that if Anderson filmed a gig which included just a few of these songs on which he did guest vocals - that would be the sort of item a lot of his old fans would purchase.
              Songs such as Prince Rupert , Shine, The Hymn, Song of Innocence for example.

But there really is no notable concert release from Anderson that I can think of. The Tour of The Universe was fine as far as a representative document of one of his solo shows - but it's not a great production/performance.

Would be nice if he hired a very solid band of the calibre he hired for the Animation tour, present a setlist featuring some of his work outside of Yes, and film that.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Be...n_and_Vangelis is about as close as you are ever going to get for the reasons that Henry mentions above. I love Jon but he wasn't and isn't very good at keeping, ah, focused on a master plan so these sorts of things can be done. Same problem with guest appearances on other people's albums - ownership is all over the map and there is not clear path to getting the rights to do this sort of thing.

But this is the beauty of playlists... Make your own!

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Be...n_and_Vangelis is about as close as you are ever going to get for the reasons that Henry mentions above. I love Jon but he wasn't and isn't very good at keeping, ah, focused on a master plan so these sorts of things can be done. Same problem with guest appearances on other people's albums - ownership is all over the map and there is not clear path to getting the rights to do this sort of thing.

But this is the beauty of playlists... Make your own!
                  Henry hasn't mentioned anything. I did....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Henry hasn't mentioned anything. I did....LOL
                    Doh!

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks! I guess making your own playlist is the obvious answer - though their is a fair bit to sift through! In my happy little world I had visions of a lovely best of with maybe a bonus disc from the Song Of Seven tour. I thought he was in majestic form when I saw him at De Montfort, Leicester on that tour.

As stated by another poster, one person's best of might be an anathema to another. I just think his solo career is fitting and justifies a decent summary...even though I've only heard a fraction of it. Thanks again for the replies!

Comment

Working...
                      X