No announcement yet.

5 Hours of Zamran?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine how expensive the vinyl version of the album will be if it is actually 5 hours.

Comment

Presumably eight lp's ?

Comment

A good example of what happens when Jon is left.to his own devices. If it ever does get released as a 5 hour marathon a good proportion of it will be unlistenable. Let's hope there is someone there to say 'this is great Jon, but this bit is not!'

Jon is always better working with someone. He has loads of great ideas, but loads of ones that don't work either!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin W View Post
          A good example of what happens when Jon is left.to his own devices. If it ever does get released as a 5 hour marathon a good proportion of it will be unlistenable. Let's hope there is someone there to say 'this is great Jon, but this bit is not!'

Jon is always better working with someone. He has loads of great ideas, but loads of ones that don't work either!
          Sounds like it needs three versions - the full 5 hour "Directors Cut", a 2CD two hour "Standard Version" and a single disc " Highlights" edit.

Comment

Imagine a 5 Hr Tales !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin W View Post
              Given the high esteem Olias itself is held in, I'm not sure this is true, but things change, and the tools can change the process which changes the outcome. For instance, when I was first learning the fine art of typography, we used something called Letraset, letters in ink on sheets of plastic that you had to position and rub down one by one to form words, phrases, and sentences. It was expensive (both time and money), and changing your mind was a royal PITA. However, for learning, it was a great tool, because it forced you to look at letters, develop a rhythm, and think about things before you committed to them, after which, well, you were committed. Flash forward to learning typography on digital tools, and it's terrible: you choose a font, and it's almost always one that starts with "A", because you have 3000 of them installed, and you begin at the top of the list. And because you can always easily and cheaply change your mind later, you don't really ever need to commit to your choices. "Undo" is just a command click away.

Making Olias as he did, with analog tools, cutting tape and mixing tracks, took not just creativity but discipline, and in this case the limits of the process, like design constraints, led to a better outcome.

But thinking a 77YO Jon Anderson can work in the same way he did almost 50 years ago to get the same quality of results is wishful, and unrealistic. And who knows? Maybe freed from the constraints of a 45 minute lp physical product, maybe today's delivery and distribution options, with unlimited digital run times, will lead to a new Olias, whether from Anderson or someone else.

Comment

I think Jon may be overstating things. He tends to do that!

But if 5 hrs in Jonspeak translates to say, 2 hours of music, that’s more than a double album and longer than most prog releases these days.

Innocence and Danger by NMB was 1 hour 40 minutes. Transatlantic’s latest album had a few versions, but I believe the longer one was around 90 minutes. The Quest was a little over an hour, and it was the second longest Yes album ever after Tales (I’m not counting the ambient track from OYE).

Comment

Originally posted by JMKUSA View Post
                  I think Jon may be overstating things. He tends to do that!

But if 5 hrs in Jonspeak translates to say, 2 hours of music, that’s more than a double album and longer than most prog releases these days.

Innocence and Danger by NMB was 1 hour 40 minutes. Transatlantic’s latest album had a few versions, but I believe the longer one was around 90 minutes. The Quest was a little over an hour, and it was the second longest Yes album ever after Tales (I’m not counting the ambient track from OYE).
                  He has been working on it for at least 21 years, so he's had time to build up material!

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

He has been working on it for at least 21 years, so he's had time to build up material!
                    And now he's edited it down to five hours !

Comment

He is so full of bs , I surprised he didn’t promise the tour to include orchestras and a choir…he usually throws that in the mix when the interviewer needs to be impressed. At least this interviewer questioned the existence of Zamran , to which Jon replied “it exists it’s 4 hours long” in the previous answer it was “5 hours long”…

Comment

Jon is always creating, recording and working. I do like that he is keeping busy and the 1000 Hands album came out very nice, the follow up is worked on. I just hope he will call in help and advise from a producer / engineer for Zamran. Henry said it, 21 years in the making is al long time and not every note for the project needs to be in there.

If I could choose one of the many projects Jon has been speaking of to be finished and released it would be Chagall, worked on as they did on 1000 Hands. The bootlegs of Chagall that are outthere hold truly wonderful and amazing tracks, about the life of Marc Chagall. Anderson was writing that in his very creative and focused peak of his career. Zamran is interesting...but 5 hours? Too much is just that; too much. And drop Michael Byrne's video's please, uninspired and tiring.
                        Last edited by Soundchaser; 07-30-2022, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X