Underappreciated bassists greats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underappreciated bassists greats?

Ok, we all know about Jaco, James Jamerson, and all the other favorites of bass snobs. How about some under-the-radar bassists?

I’m going to suggest John Taylor from Duran Duran. Great player, but even greater pop bass composer. Pick any DD song and listen to the bass part.

Who else?

Wojteck Pilichowski is an absolute monster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAECmaJ7Ms

…….and with his band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esODDfuN3lg
    Last edited by Enlighten; 11-30-2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Michael Manring

Home page of manthing.com, an other / not classifiable artist from Oakland, CA. Michael Manring is a bassist and composer known for his innovative approach to the instrument.

Worked extensively with the incredible Michael Hedges ... toured with Jaco ... was house bassist at Windham Hill ... talented guy who makes incredible soundscapes.

Comment

I always loved the bass lines played by Martin Turner on the early Wishbone Ash albums. He was on the wrong side of a battle with Andy Powell over the use of the band’s name in recent years, but there is no denying that he was a great player on FUBB, Ballad of the Beacon, Sometime World, and many other tasty tunes.

Comment

Stuart Zender, the bassist for Jamiroqai from 1993 - 1998. I think his bass sound and playing were vital to the succes of the band:

Great funk bass:

But also brilliant in the more laidback jazzy pieces:

Comment

Tony Newton, who was also part of the Funk Brothers house band at Motown. He performed a fair amount of fusion, and wrote one of my all-time favorite pieces while part of Tony Williams Lifetime.

Rabin-esque
            my labor of love (and obsessive research)
            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

I will also cite Peter Steele because I feel he's better known as a singer/songwriter but he was a great bass player. Type O Negative basically had a lead bass player and three other supporting players.
              Rabin-esque
              my labor of love (and obsessive research)
              rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

The fabulous Graham Maby from Joe Jackson’s original band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kGEodzbfZk

Comment

Danny Thompson, wherever he appears.
                  Eberhard Weber on ECM - his early albums are fantastic.
                  Charles MIngus
                  Lemmy?
                  Tina Weymouth in Talking Heads
                  Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers
                  Jah Wobble

Comment

i wouldn't say he's underrated, but he's damn good, Mark King from Level 42
                    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Mark Clarke ( Colosseum, Tempest, short stints with Rainbow and Uriah Heep)

Comment

Flea underrated ????

Comment

Lenny Kotke from "The Good Rats" and Jon Camp from "Renaissance".

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp On Attack View Post
                            Flea underrated ????
                            Yeah, I was thinking the same thing…….if anything, he’s a bit overrated.

Comment

Stuart Morrow -

New Model Army - Notice Me (album: Vengeance) 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X