Remembering Chris Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembering Chris Squire

It seems they are a few months late, but this article was posted remembering Chris Squire. Oddly the only interview they seemed to do for it was with Rick Wakeman, and there is a bit of revisionist history about Rick and Chris being close friends (and Rick apparently is still in Yes, according to the author): https://www.guitarworld.com/features...th-anniversary

Nothing really new here, but at least they are creating him with the influence that he had.

It's great that they are giving him some recognition. When someone from Yes gets recognition, it's usually Wakeman, as much perhaps because of his glitzy becaped stage persona as for his indisputable keyboard skills. But Chris was a tremendous bass player. When other bassists just kept the beat, he played countermelodies. He could make that thing sing. We lost him way too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin View Post
      It's great that they are giving him some recognition. When someone from Yes gets recognition, it's usually Wakeman, as much perhaps because of his glitzy becaped stage persona as for his indisputable keyboard skills. But Chris was a tremendous bass player. When other bassists just kept the beat, he played countermelodies. He could make that thing sing. We lost him way too soon.
      Way too soon. I was reminded recently about how I found out about his death. I had a friend that I saw Yes with in 2013 and 2014, and I was helping him move in 2015 when we learned the news. I was helping him move recently which is why I remembered that experience. I was so sad, and seven years later it is still hard to believe he’s gone.

Comment

I found out right here on this site, well, its predecessor. I read the title of the thread and I was just thunderstruck.

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin View Post
          I found out right here on this site, well, its predecessor. I read the title of the thread and I was just thunderstruck.
          I knew about a month before Chris passed away that there was very little chance he was going to pull through. Scotland Squire was a member of the old site and even though she hadn't logged on for about a year prior, when the news broke Chris was seriously ill, after some weeks I decided to send her a PM, to give her some support as the focus was so much, understandably, on Chris. I did this, not expecting a reaction, but because, well let's say I wanted it out in the universe.

Much to my surprise about a day later I had a reaction from Scotland, saying how she indeed had not logged onto Yesfans for over a year, but that on that particular night she suddenly felt the urge to do so, to then find my PM. Over the next couple of days we had an exchange where she poured her heart out basically. Not going into details, but I knew there and then that Chris was not going to make it. So, it was a very surreal few weeks for me online, because I saw everyone sending their love and positive thoughts and many people saying that they believed Chris was going to pull through, and there I was knowing that it wasn't going to be the case, but I couldn't say anything, because I wanted Scotland to have her privacy and it would be hard to say anything publicly without putting her on the spot.

When remembering Chris, there is still this feeling of confusion that I carry from then. I miss him, like all fans miss him. He was an amazing musician and larger than life character. However I don't think anyone is missing him as hard as Scotland and Xilan are.

Comment

Working...
          X