Making a Song and Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a Song and Dance

....and the boxsets just keep on coming. Bill to release 6CD boxset of his career. BMG.

MAKING A SONG AND DANCE

•. A few YES songs
    •. 1 UK song
    •. 1 ABWH song
    •. Loads of KC songs
    •. Loads of solo stuff
    •. Lots of Moraz collabs
    •. Title comes from an Earthworks song.
    •. Due in May.

No cover image available yet. Price?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 03-02-2022, 06:36 PM.

On an initial look, appears to be all previously released material, nearly all of which I have. I was hoping for some previously unreleased material.

Comment

Track list at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnalum.htm#bbarch

Comment

Odd Yes selections. I would have thought they would have chosen more drum-centric tracks like Somethings Coming or 5% for Nothing. I can see CTTE and Heart Of The Sunrise, but I've Seen All Good People - drums don't even come in until the second half.

I'm not sure what the Crimson track 'Big Funk' is, but it may be available on the Discipline website.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
          I'm not sure what the Crimson track 'Big Funk' is, but it may be available on the Discipline website.
          It's from a Collectors' Club release, the 1997 Nashville sessions: https://www.discogs.com/release/1427...rsals-May-1997

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
            Hmm, nothing from B.L.U.E.…? Interesting omission.

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
              Hmm, nothing from B.L.U.E.…? Interesting omission.
              It's got "Original Sin". Some of the tracks are in odd places...

Comment

'Big Funk'....Collectors Club release. Oh, ok I do have that after all. That was 'projekct' type stuff, right before Bruford left the Court of the Crimson King.

Actually it does have 'Original Sin' listed under Bruford/Levin. I'm assuming its from Bruford Levin Upper Extremities(B.L.U.E.). Great album. I was lucky to see that live near Baltimore in 1998 - just feet away from Bruford. They made a joyous noise.

Comment

Looks good, although I wish “Up North” (Earthworks) was included.

We can’t have everything, though. Where would we put it? 🤷🏻‍♀️
                  Last edited by Imperatrix; 03-03-2022, 09:05 AM. Reason: It *has* “Downtown” on it. 😎
                  Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                    Odd Yes selections. I would have thought they would have chosen more drum-centric tracks like Somethings Coming or 5% for Nothing.
                    But see, that's not how Bill thinks. I've assuming he picked tracks he thought were artistically interesting, and showed the band working well together.
                    Rabin-esque
                    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
                      But see, that's not how Bill thinks. I've assuming he picked tracks he thought were artistically interesting, and showed the band working well together.
                      Indeed.

To step back, we are presuming Bruford carefully picked all these tracks, but we don't actually yet know how involved he was! There may also have been licensing issues at play, so perhaps there is some track he once guested on that he things is great, but it wasn't included because the rights were too difficult to organise.

The discs begin chronologically. Disc 1 does the '70s: Yes, '72-4 Crimson and UK. (A surprising choice of "Nevermore" as the one UK track. Bruford has three co-writing credits on the album, and that's not one of them. I guess that's Bruford being a Holdsworth fan.) Disc 2 is the '80s: lots more Crimson, plus an ABWH track.

Notable that Bruford includes a lot more from his '80s stint with Crimson than his '70s stint... and then almost nothing from '90s Crimson. There's nothing from THRAK. There's nothing from the ProjeKcts. There's just that one 1997 track, "Big Funk". Although maybe lots of those tracks are live versions from later incarnations of the band rather than the studio recordings?

But we also see the chronological ordering break down on disc 2, with "Big Funk" and the Piano Circus track being from much later. Disc 3 jumps back in time. While disc 1 and 2 are bands that Bruford was in, disc 3 is for Bruford's bands: Bruford, the first Earthworks period plus a track from If Summer Had Its Ghosts.

Disc 4 then continues with the next period of Bruford's bands: the second Earthworks period, that Bruford-Levin track. Oh, but for some reason, we get a Moraz-Bruford track here: why not earlier? Is this about what fitted on what disc? Is that an artistic choice about what flows well in sequence?

Disc 5 is guest appearances. Interesting that, with a lengthy discography of guest appearances, we get 2 tracks from Roy Harper's HQ and two from Fish Out of Water. Is that because of a rights thing, or does Bill just love those albums?

Then, what's the theme for disc 6? A lot of it continues from disc 4, so we have later period Earthworks and the Borstlap collaboration. But we also have various miscellaneous tracks. There are two more Moraz-Bruford tracks. There's a third Piano Circus track: I think Skin & Wire is a career highlight for Bruford, so I'm happy to see it well represented, but it seems odd that it's 3 tracks are spread over 3 different discs.

Comment

I'm likely to be tempted by this, even though I have most of it already. Bill is one of my favourite members of the band and has the most interesting and varied career outside of Yes. Hopefully there will be a good narrative included summarising his career - that would be an interesting read, even though I know most of it already!

I couldn't bring myself to shell out for the overpriced and poorly put together box set of Trevor's career issued by the largely garbage Gonzo lot, and don't want to see another box set not from an ex-Yes member whose music I greatly admire not end up in my collection......

Comment

Now.......the cover has dropped! 😀
                          Attached Files

Comment

And there's a somewhat revised set list at https://www.resident-music.com/produ...oduct_id=88591

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Indeed.

To step back, we are presuming Bruford carefully picked all these tracks, but we don't actually yet know how involved he was! There may also have been licensing issues at play, so perhaps there is some track he once guested on that he things is great, but it wasn't included because the rights were too difficult to organise.

The discs begin chronologically. Disc 1 does the '70s: Yes, '72-4 Crimson and UK. (A surprising choice of "Nevermore" as the one UK track. Bruford has three co-writing credits on the album, and that's not one of them. I guess that's Bruford being a Holdsworth fan.) Disc 2 is the '80s: lots more Crimson, plus an ABWH track.

Notable that Bruford includes a lot more from his '80s stint with Crimson than his '70s stint... and then almost nothing from '90s Crimson. There's nothing from THRAK. There's nothing from the ProjeKcts. There's just that one 1997 track, "Big Funk". Although maybe lots of those tracks are live versions from later incarnations of the band rather than the studio recordings?

But we also see the chronological ordering break down on disc 2, with "Big Funk" and the Piano Circus track being from much later. Disc 3 jumps back in time. While disc 1 and 2 are bands that Bruford was in, disc 3 is for Bruford's bands: Bruford, the first Earthworks period plus a track from If Summer Had Its Ghosts.

Disc 4 then continues with the next period of Bruford's bands: the second Earthworks period, that Bruford-Levin track. Oh, but for some reason, we get a Moraz-Bruford track here: why not earlier? Is this about what fitted on what disc? Is that an artistic choice about what flows well in sequence?

Disc 5 is guest appearances. Interesting that, with a lengthy discography of guest appearances, we get 2 tracks from Roy Harper's HQ and two from Fish Out of Water. Is that because of a rights thing, or does Bill just love those albums?

Then, what's the theme for disc 6? A lot of it continues from disc 4, so we have later period Earthworks and the Borstlap collaboration. But we also have various miscellaneous tracks. There are two more Moraz-Bruford tracks. There's a third Piano Circus track: I think Skin & Wire is a career highlight for Bruford, so I'm happy to see it well represented, but it seems odd that it's 3 tracks are spread over 3 different discs.
                              Press release at https://glassonyonpr.com/2022/03/16/...ong-and-dance/ offers some insights: two disks as “collaborator”, two as bandleader, one as guest, and one as improviser. That jibes with the Crimson track on disk six…

Comment

Working...
                              X