Masterworks Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterworks Tour

Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

I believe I was at Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, Virginia for the last show of the Masterworks Tour that I attended. Probably the last shitty seats for me, being further away, but that sound, that sound!

They played Awaken and the sound just spread and moved around in waves, washing over everyone. Really the most fantastic and emotional sounding show I had been to, huge props to however was running the board that night. Being in the front row never, ever gets you that.

Anyhow, with Awaken being the closer, and how many of us get attending and experiencing a YES show, the endorphins really kicked in to high gear, and I felt absolutely fantastic for the next two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post
      I believe I was at Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, Virginia for the last show of the Masterworks Tour that I attended. Probably the last shitty seats for me, being further away, but that sound, that sound!

They played Awaken and the sound just spread and moved around in waves, washing over everyone. Really the most fantastic and emotional sounding show I had been to, huge props to however was running the board that night. Being in the front row never, ever gets you that.

Anyhow, with Awaken being the closer, and how many of us get attending and experiencing a YES show, the endorphins really kicked in to high gear, and I felt absolutely fantastic for the next two weeks.
      Must have been another tour Rob, because Awaken was never played on the Masterworks tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Must have been another tour Rob, because Awaken was never played on the Masterworks tour.
        You know what they say about age and memory, Arno. ;-)

All I know it was the last show I saw with Jon in the group and probably the last time I experienced Awaken in years until the confetti shows with Jon Davison.

I was at ROSfest and one of the bands covered Awaken. Granted I have cried many times out of joy at some of the YES shows. I have even cried coming home after a show with Benoit in Richmond, listening to a Steve solo album song in the car, just how beautiful it was. How on Earth would I ever explain that to the police if I got pulled over? ;-)

But, knowing that I would never see and hear John get together with Steve, Chris and Alan, just made me sad, hearing even another band cover Awaken. Would sound rather silly to anyone who wasn't a YESfan, would it not. ;-)

That's right ladies, I can be a sensitive man at times. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post

You know what they say about age and memory, Arno. ;-)

All I know it was the last show I saw with Jon in the group and probably the last time I experienced Awaken in years until the confetti shows with Jon Davison.

I was at ROSfest and one of the bands covered Awaken. Granted I have cried many times out of joy at some of the YES shows. I have even cried coming home after a show with Benoit in Richmond, listening to a Steve solo album song in the car, just how beautiful it was. How on Earth would I ever explain that to the police if I got pulled over? ;-)

But, knowing that I would never see and hear John get together with Steve, Chris and Alan, just made me sad, hearing even another band cover Awaken. Would sound rather silly to anyone who wasn't a YESfan, would it not. ;-)

That's right ladies, I can be a sensitive man at times. LOL
          Try explaining why one is a Yes fan is a hard job for anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Try explaining why one is a Yes fan is a hard job for anyone
            LMAO, Arno. I would be rolling on the floor laughing but it's 1:18 in the morning, and my wife and daughter would be saying for the hundredth time, what the hell is wrong with this crazy man, and shut the heck up, we are trying to sleep!

Comment

I actually became a little bit frightened reading the post about Awaken.
              I saw quite a few shows on that tour and I was thinking “my goodness, I don’t remember them playing Awaken on that tour....perhaps I had too much to drink...at every show!”

Comment

Perhaps I just asked "the boys" to play it for this superfan that night? ;-) LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by True View Post
                  I actually became a little bit frightened reading the post about Awaken.
                  I saw quite a few shows on that tour and I was thinking “my goodness, I don’t remember them playing Awaken on that tour....perhaps I had too much to drink...at every show!”
                  That is HILARIOUS! At least at 1:35 a m..

Comment

Yep, I was at that show in Bristow and don't remember it either, although they did play it in 2004 at the same venue. Incidentally, that 2000 Bristow show was when Igor got himself in trouble, I wondered why there were police cars there at the end of the show. 🙄

Comment

I also was at Bristow show in the summer of 2000, it was the Nissan Pavillion (later Jiffy Lube Live, forgot which corpo has it now). I remember Igor was a little wild on stage, doing the Ozzy horns hand sign and all that. Didn't know about that incident stuff until way later. A shame, because he had some sick keyboard skills and could play Wakeman or Moraz without issue. Now he's nowhere. Coulda been a prog contender.

Masterworks was the first time for me hearing Gates and Ritual in entireties. No, Awaken wasn't one of the 'masterworks' played then. I remember the show felt slightly short despite mostly longer epics. I'm sure they could have slipped it in if they had dropped All Good People & Roundabout.

I remember Kansas opened for them. I liked Kansas but wasn't a fan/buy every album guy yet at that time. I remember after a rocking track, Steve Walsh says "Who says you can't rock when you're 50 years old!" and some kids in the row in front of me giggled at that. Jeez, how old are they now, that was 2000! Jeez...

I liked the show, but on one hand I remember thinking, well...not EXACTLY the 'Masterworks' tour - where was Awaken, Mind Drive, Revealing Science or any other Tales track or even Endless Dream (though not likely for that one)? It wasn't a show of just 15-20 minute epics, some of it was business as usual (Roundabout, Starship Trooper, All Good People). But I still enjoyed it, and Gates & Ritual was worth the price of admission. Maybe a future tour in the same mold but done the way I propose: the Epics Tour - only songs 15-22 minutes long. Close To The Edge as an encore song, anyone? I could see it presented almost as a classical concert - you're there to see a couple symphonies.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                        I also was at Bristow show in the summer of 2000, it was the Nissan Pavillion (later Jiffy Lube Live, forgot which corpo has it now). I remember Igor was a little wild on stage, doing the Ozzy horns hand sign and all that. Didn't know about that incident stuff until way later. A shame, because he had some sick keyboard skills and could play Wakeman or Moraz without issue. Now he's nowhere. Coulda been a prog contender.

Masterworks was the first time for me hearing Gates and Ritual in entireties. No, Awaken wasn't one of the 'masterworks' played then. I remember the show felt slightly short despite mostly longer epics. I'm sure they could have slipped it in if they had dropped All Good People & Roundabout.

I remember Kansas opened for them. I liked Kansas but wasn't a fan/buy every album guy yet at that time. I remember after a rocking track, Steve Walsh says "Who says you can't rock when you're 50 years old!" and some kids in the row in front of me giggled at that. Jeez, how old are they now, that was 2000! Jeez...

I liked the show, but on one hand I remember thinking, well...not EXACTLY the 'Masterworks' tour - where was Awaken, Mind Drive, Revealing Science or any other Tales track or even Endless Dream (though not likely for that one)? It wasn't a show of just 15-20 minute epics, some of it was business as usual (Roundabout, Starship Trooper, All Good People). But I still enjoyed it, and Gates & Ritual was worth the price of admission. Maybe a future tour in the same mold but done the way I propose: the Epics Tour - only songs 15-22 minutes long. Close To The Edge as an encore song, anyone? I could see it presented almost as a classical concert - you're there to see a couple symphonies.
                        Correct me if I'm in error, but wasn't the setlist for the Masterworks shows based on fans voting for various long-form pieces they wanted to hear?
                        I assume Awaken wasn't included because (a) it was a shorter set because of there being two bands playing and (b) it had been played on The Ladder tour only a short time before Masterworks happened?
                        It's a pity they felt they had to include All Good People again though, but I don't think Heart of the Sunrise was in The Ladder setlist...? I don't remember it being played on the UK Ladder tour?
                        That's already a lot of music which Igor wouldn't have played before, even if he was familiar with it from hearing it. I assume being classically-trained he could sight-read fluently enough, and may well have transcribed his parts himself. Still a quick turnaround though, allowing for rehearsals of Gates and Ritual which none of them had played for decades. I've read there were some false starts and wayward cues on those pieces even so. On balance, I think they put together a pretty demanding set. I just wish it could have crossed the pond, and that Igor hadn't shot himself in the head. Just think how the Magnification project might have unfolded if he'd been able to control himself and stayed focused on the job in hand.

Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Hey, I was at that Nissan Pavilion show too! "Ritual" was especially amazing for me, I had thought I'd never get to hear it or all of "Gates" live. Probably my favorite concert ever, I even enjoyed Kansas a lot too.

I also hadn't heard about the Igor incident until hearing on the new some time later.
                          Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                          My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Come to think of it, I do remember some kind of poll or reading about it somewhere on what fans wanted to hear. It makes sense that they didn't play Awaken as they already played it and Perpetual Change on the Ladder tour. Guess they wanted to switch it up.

From the Ladder release and tour and then going into the Masterworks tour not long after, things happened rather rapidly surrounding that era. I sadly missed Ladder tour as they didn't come near my area that year. The Ladder tour was rather short and became the Masterworks tour when they did come around to the DC/Balto/North VA area again the following year. I loved the Ladder album and found it to be an uplifting listen, so I was disappointed to not hear any Ladder material, as well as no Billy Sherwood. But seeing Gates and Ritual live for the first time softened that blow and I was ready for the next Yes change.

Igor on Magnification with some beautiful classical piano sections - I would have been up for that. Igor certainly blew it, but a skilled musician he was. Has anyone got his Piano Works album from 1999? His only solo album, I believe. I place it above any other solo piano album from a Yes keyboardist.

I remember when Magnification was released with three different bonus discs depending on where you bought it, the bonus disc included either Close To The Edge, Gates Of Delirium, or Ritual recorded during the Masterworks tour, along with an orchestral version of Long Distance Runaround. Is it my imagination, or was Igor's 'boards mixed kinda low? I'd have to hear them again. I don't think he's credited either that I remember.

Comment

I had completely forgotten about the poll, but, Yes - I do remember some sort of poll, perhaps via Yesworld, but I'm not sure.
                              And I remember everyone at the time was saying they had voted for Gates of Delirium, that was a big dream - to see that once more. It was so exciting to see them play those songs again after so many years., and it really was a brave move at the time. I think you still had a lot of fans attending those shows who had become fans in the 80's, so that setlist may have caught a few fans off guard.

I think I purchased several copies of that Magnification CD just to get each of those bonus tracks. I must have them on my computer somewhere.

My memory of songs like Gates, on that tour, was that the band did a very good job, but I didn't think it was as powerful as it had been in '75/76. It was a bit slower, I thought. But I enjoyed it a little more than the version they presented one or two years later. And I thought the "Symphonic" and Masterworks versions were superior to the version of just a few years ago. It's a challenging piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X