Favourite Songs on Yes 50 Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Songs on Yes 50 Live?

I love the rendition of Soon- Jon Davison sings it so well. Sweet Dreams sounds full of energy, Yours is no Disgrace is fantastic with the hammond sound, in fact Roundabout and Starship Trooper are also great with that added organ sound. Awaken is an interesting version, though Geoff does struggle at times in the organ section. Overall, I am very happy with this recording, though I wish a Rabin song and maybe a Drama song were on the album.
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

I think I gravitate towards the ones that don't appear on every single live album like Roundabout, though as you say, Tony Kaye's organ does elevate them a lot. It was great to hear a non-1971-80 song with Nine Voices from the overlooked Ladder album. Other favorites from Yes50 would be Madrigal reworked as a Howe/Davison duet, Sweet Dreams, and Fly From Here finally making it to a live album(Though just the song, not the whole suite, oh well...). And Yours Is No Disgrace brings back that gritty organ (Kaye!). Parallels is a bit too slowed down for my liking, but I'm glad it appears here.

Comment

Close to the Edge.

But overall this is another live release with JD vocals

Being at This Show was great. And the shows are great fun. I always enjoy them. JD is a very good singer. A true pro. And he was nicest as could be at the festival!!!!!!!

But they are always a notch below what they could be, should be, without Jon A.

Comment

I honestly couldn’t stand the take on Awaken here, maybe because the ARW version has just came out, and that one sounded like they threw everything they had and more at it, and the YesO version just sounded rushed, like they couldn’t wait to get through it.

But, FFH, Madrigal, Nine Voices, and Parallels all made up for that, and showed how well they can work some deep cuts in with the hit, when they drop the full album thing. Which I’m not a fan of, and certainly doing two at a time, I mean unless you’re doing a four hour show, just means having to put aside way too much material.

Comment

This is the one Tour I have missed from the Downes/Davison Era......so the only Guide I have is the "Yes 50" Live disc......have always wondered what songs from the Setlist were not included on the Album.....here's one, "Perpetual Change", is this a rarity, or was it played regularly on the Tour ? :

Wow, this is the slowest version I've ever heard, but in this "In the Round" setup (Westbury, NY) it kind of works, has a real "swing" to it !

Comment

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post
            This is the one Tour I have missed from the Downes/Davison Era......so the only Guide I have is the "Yes 50" Live disc......have always wondered what songs from the Setlist were not included on the Album.....here's one, "Perpetual Change", is this a rarity, or was it played regularly on the Tour ? :

Wow, this is the slowest version I've ever heard, but in this "In the Round" setup (Westbury, NY) it kind of works, has a real "swing" to it !

It was played in the normal set in the summer US tour leg in 2018. On FY, you can grab the 7/20 show and fill in Perpetual Change 😊.

**as I noted above the 7/21 festival show was a good one. Albeit it but was a long day with the festival prior and a few folks didn’t make it to the end 😆. Poor dude in front of me passed out, too much embibing, and had to be carried out. ☹️ During awaken. Guy in front of him was giving me crap for talking , as we’re trying to help the poor guy. And I almost clobbered him. My wife level headed as always said just let it go. 😊
            Last edited by Gtkgasman; 02-04-2022, 02:13 AM.

Comment

For sure, this is the show from the 2018 Tour I've been looking for........something about the intimacy of this venue, and In The Round, would love to see them at this place !
              ....will have to check FY to see if this is available for DL. Sad I missed this tour, they played "Does It Really Happen" , which I missed on the 2016 Tour because I was late to the show :

Comment

Sweet Dreams. I enjoyed the tour, but the live album was a disappointment, the Royal Affair album is much better.

Comment

Working...
                X