Thoughts on The Steve Howe Album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on The Steve Howe Album

Listening to this for the very first time today, great album all around, typical great guitar work, love the acoustic pieces and also love the work from Moraz on track 3. Look over your Shoulder is great as well and Double Rondo is absolutely beautiful.
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
    Listening to this for the very first time today, great album all around, typical great guitar work, love the acoustic pieces and also love the work from Moraz on track 3. Look over your Shoulder is great as well and Double Rondo is absolutely beautiful.
    While there is some nice stuff on his previous album, Beginnings, I have to rate this one higher for the mere fact that he doesn't sing as much.

Comment

Agreed with all of the above. Look Over Your Shoulder is a great almost-Yes song, and Surface Tension is a great almost-Yes acoustic.

Comment

He's released some good stuff over the years but nothing to top The Steve Howe Album in my opinion. Loved it when I first heard it and still do today 33 years or so later.

Comment

I would love to have heard Pennants as a Yes track with vocals. Could have been a winner.

Comment

Agree with all of the above. Great rollicking Pennants. Beautiful Claire Hammil song. Steve plays bass too?
            Amazing orchestral Double Rondo. A precursor to DTK? Great variety of styles displayed.

Fun fact.: Roger never liked the swimmer on the cover. Had him removed years later for following reissues. Could say. "The Man Who Vanished"

Played this often And his first. And ABWH. Kept me going through the 80's.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 02-09-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The Steve Howe Album was the first Howe solo album I got, used. I liked the chart that showed which guitars he used on each track - it was then that I realized the guy will play anything that has strings on it. Very nice album. Haven't heard it in a while - thanks, I may throw that on the listening pile.

Mostly instrumental, he only sings one track - All's A Chord could have made a fine Yes song, I like the way it's constructed. Very prog rock, not too long but with various sections. Surface Tension certainly could have made a fine solo piece on a regular Yes album, as another poster pointed out. Look Over Your Shoulder is probably the most popular track on the album. Meadow Rag is fun. Double Rondo sounds like a movement from a Steve Howe guitar concerto. It's just missing two or three more movements. Very classy. Very little of the Steve Howe Album is rock at all, prog rock or otherwise - specifically side two. As for Pennants, if you recall, GTR performed it live as part of Howe's solo set in 1986. Hear it on King Biscuit/Live In L.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesjim View Post
                I would love to have heard Pennants as a Yes track with vocals. Could have been a winner.

Live with Dylan and Virgil (Remedy) :

he also played that with GTR,,,,it's available somewhere

Comment

I consider this one to be essential. Very inspired compositions and playing and a great listening experience all the way through. Howe at his best!

Comment

It's a nice album, and a big improvement on Beginnings. Broader range of material and styles, and mercifully only one track he sings on, though his singing isn't bad on All's a Chord. I've a recollection of him saying around this time that he discovered he has a slight speech impediment?
                    Coincidentally, Ronnie Leahy guests on keyboards, who would hook up with Jon Anderson for Song of Seven the following year, and Claire Hammill would be the support act for the Song of Seven Tour.

Both of Roger's cover designs, for Beginnings and this are great, though I'm less keen on the darker-hued one for the reissue.
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post

Live with Dylan and Virgil (Remedy) :

he also played that with GTR,,,,it's available somewhere
                      Whoa! Thanks, can't believe I've never run across this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

Fun fact.: Roger never liked the swimmer on the cover. Had him removed years later for following reissues. Could say. "The Man Who Vanished"
                        Maybe reminded him too much of GFTO? Ouch...

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                          Agree with all of the above. Great rollicking Pennants. Beautiful Claire Hammil song. Steve plays bass too?
                          Amazing orchestral Double Rondo. A precursor to DTK? Great variety of styles displayed.

Played this often And his first. And ABWH. Kept me going through the 80's.
                          I had the CD of the album for years before I ever found a vinyl copy, and when I stumbled upon that original cover I was kind of shocked and intrigued. Why was there a drowned man in the original painting? Even more intriguing that Roger decided to remove it for the cd reissue. I have always wondered if there was some kind of weird anger being let out in the original that he later thought better of. Whatever the case, I would love to know more about it.

Comment

From memory. Roger has admitted he's not a great figurative artist. He regretted the floating man as it looks scrappy,stringy, badly drawn.

Without the man, the pool can be seen through as if it is air or water. More ambiguous.

As for figures he has drawn well IMHO are the other-worldly nymphs in Yesterdays, the guys on the Uriah Heep covers, even the cyborg on the Asia one. Horses, cats, dragons, deer, badgers, eagles, hummingbirds, snakes are all exemplary.

He has done a lot of revision. New CTTE paintings to come with anniversary edition boxset. He has changed up colours on others.

Beginnings was actually brilliant in using his landscape and a photograph of Steve. Seems he never returned to that technique.

Comment

Working...
                            X