Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jon Davison at the Taylor Hawkins Tribute in LA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Jon Davison at the Taylor Hawkins Tribute in LA

    Jon with Stewart Copeland covering The Police’s, Every Little Thing She Does is Magic. JD has a knack for sometimes bringing a cruise ship vibe to music he covers by other artists…..I include classic Yes music in that take. It’s like the life and drive is taken out of the song. He does recoup towards the end, gotta give him that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6tjtXp87Y

    #2
    and a cover of Owner of a Lonely Heart. This one translates better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwC0uPQEEes

    Comment


      #3
      I just posted him and Chevy Metal doing Owner of a Lonely Heart in the Hawkins tribute thread. I thought he did a brilliant job there.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Enlighten View Post
        and a cover of Owner of a Lonely Heart. This one translates better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwC0uPQEEes
        Who's the drummer here?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Enlighten View Post
          Jon with Stewart Copeland covering The Police’s, Every Little Thing She Does is Magic. JD has a knack for sometimes bringing a cruise ship vibe to music he covers by other artists…..I include classic Yes music in that take. It’s like the life and drive is taken out of the song. He does recoup towards the end, gotta give him that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6tjtXp87Y
          I think you're a bit harsh. Yes in the first verse he was a little pitchy, but for fuck sake, they probably rehearsed the song four times if that and emotions probably play a role. The man is paying tribute to a childhood friend he lost. I'm fine with Davison not being to your liking in general, but to pick this occasion to vent your criticism once more I find a bit distasteful. I think you're a great guy Jay, but come on.....

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

            I think you're a bit harsh. Yes in the first verse he was a little pitchy, but for fuck sake, they probably rehearsed the song four times if that and emotions probably play a role. The man is paying tribute to a childhood friend he lost. I'm fine with Davison not being to your liking in general, but to pick this occasion to vent your criticism once more I find a bit distasteful. I think you're a great guy Jay, but come on.....
            He does a fine job on Owner and he kinda sucks the life out of a great tune in Every Little Thing until about two thirds of the way through. I’m strictly talking about the music. There were some great performances at Wembley (Wolfgang Van Halen, AC/DC, Queen) and some stinkers (Josh Homme covering Let’s Dance and Paul McCartney with Chrissy Hynde). It is what it is.

            Comment


              #7
              great to have Jon play his part here, and great to see Owner performed again!
              The Definitive YES Albums

              -The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
              -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
              -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Enlighten View Post
                Jon with Stewart Copeland covering The Police’s, Every Little Thing She Does is Magic. JD has a knack for sometimes bringing a cruise ship vibe to music he covers by other artists…..I include classic Yes music in that take. It’s like the life and drive is taken out of the song. He does recoup towards the end, gotta give him that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6tjtXp87Y
                I enjoyed this. Such a cool thing to see so many greats all come together and jam together for Taylor. I do see what you mean Jay about his voice, it seems in any band it just has a lighter softer quality. There's no Anderson rasp or Sting grit, it's just very soft sounding. I liked a few songs on H&E where he and Squire sounded good together, but I find myself not getting into his voice by itself. I can dig Anderson, Squire, Horn, Benoit, or Stings voice by itself though. But for what this was, he sang it well and I enjoyed it for what it is... Especially seeing him jam with the Foo's and Stewart Copeland, how cool is that !??! I think Taylor would have loved it
                Last edited by Somis Sound; 09-28-2022, 04:35 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
                  I enjoyed this. Such a cool thing to see so many greats all come together and jam together for Taylor. I do see what you mean Jay about his voice, it seems in any band it just has a lighter softer quality. There's no Anderson rasp or Sting grit, it's just very soft sounding. I liked a few songs on H&E where he and Squire sounded good together, but I find myself not getting into his voice by itself. I can dig Anderson, Squire, Horn, Benoit, or Stings voice by itself though. But for what this was, he sang it well and I enjoyed it for what it is... Especially seeing him jam with the Foo's and Stewart Copeland, how cool is that !??! I think Taylor would have loved it
                  Juano holds those notes well on "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic".

                  Maybe Yes should do a medley of "Every Little Thing" and "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Will check out both tonight honestly I think Davison was good on the bit of Owner I heard

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

                      I enjoyed this. Such a cool thing to see so many greats all come together and jam together for Taylor. I do see what you mean Jay about his voice, it seems in any band it just has a lighter softer quality. There's no Anderson rasp or Sting grit, it's just very soft sounding. I liked a few songs on H&E where he and Squire sounded good together, but I find myself not getting into his voice by itself. I can dig Anderson, Squire, Horn, Benoit, or Stings voice by itself though. But for what this was, he sang it well and I enjoyed it for what it is... Especially seeing him jam with the Foo's and Stewart Copeland, how cool is that !??! I think Taylor would have loved it
                      These concerts have been fun, Erik. The highlight of both the Wembley and LA shows (for me) was Wolfgang Van Halen. Wow, that kid has the DNA and then some. I hope the Van Halen camp gets their sh!t together and gives Eddie the tribute he deserves. Grohl deserves kudos for organizing such a wonderful tribute to Taylor. Great to see Soundgarden and Elliot Easton too. Regarding JD, as I said, I think he did a fine job on Owner. He showed us some power there, so he’s got it. I just feel like he holds back and is being a bit too nice onstage, wish he’d take more command and belt more than he does.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

                        Who's the drummer here?
                        I believe it’s Nate Wood. He played with Taylor in the Coattail Riders.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

                          Juano holds those notes well on "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic".

                          Maybe Yes should do a medley of "Every Little Thing" and "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"...
                          And they could also do "Close to the Edge of Reality" as an Elvis tribute. 😉

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Juano did a great job on The Police cover. I'm sure his friend was looking down from heaven with a big smile.
                            "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X