Jay’s future with Yes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

I note your points. What can I say? I don't know the answer. I know a good source told me Sherwood played bass and drums on Talk. That may well be wrong, or it might be right.

As for (4), I note that Rabin doesn't drum on his own work.
    There are definitely some programmed drums and samples mixed in. I don’t have a fraction of Trevor Rabin’s musical ability, but even I can dick around with a drum machine and get something quasi-interesting out of it. I’m supremely confident that Rabin could do way better than me. And I know Alan White was just about the ultimate team player, but he was pretty consistently effusive in his praise of Talk and often cited it as one of his favorite Yes albums ever. It seems like he would be less fond of an album where half the drums are played by an uncredited Billy Sherwood.
    “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post

There are definitely some programmed drums and samples mixed in. I don’t have a fraction of Trevor Rabin’s musical ability, but even I can dick around with a drum machine and get something quasi-interesting out of it. I’m supremely confident that Rabin could do way better than me. And I know Alan White was just about the ultimate team player, but he was pretty consistently effusive in his praise of Talk and often cited it as one of his favorite Yes albums ever. It seems like he would be less fond of an album where half the drums are played by an uncredited Billy Sherwood.
      Alan recorded all the drums at A&M studios. Rabin took the tracks back to his home studio and edited the heck out of them in the digital system. There are plenty of drum and cymbal samples too, not necessarily Alan. I don't think Billy played drums on a whole song, but it's possible sampled some cymbal or drum hits for Trevor. Chris said he played on the whole album. But again, by the time he heard it, it was so manipulated and edited, he couldn't tell what was him on a lot of it. Totally possible Trevor edited his bass lines or redid them in parts.... As for the drums, at the time he tracked the bass, the drums still were just the drum tracks, not manipulated, edited, or samples added with it yet. The 2 of them finished their parts WAY before the album was edited and finished by Trevor.

Billy has said he played the bass on The More We Live or did this or that. He said he didn't play on Talk and I don't think it is the result of a NDA...
      Last edited by Somis Sound; 06-07-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

Alan recorded all the drums at A&M studios. Rabin took the tracks back to his home studio and edited the heck out of them in the digital system. There are plenty of drum and cymbal samples too, not necessarily Alan. I don't think Billy played drums on a whole song, but it's possible sampled some cymbal or drum hits for Trevor. Chris said he played on the whole album. But again, by the time he heard it, it was so manipulated and edited, he couldn't tell what was him on a lot of it. Totally possible Trevor edited his bass lines or redid them in parts.... As for the drums, at the time he tracked the bass, the drums still were just the drum tracks, not manipulated, edited, or samples added with it yet. The 2 of them finished their parts WAY before the album was edited and finished by Trevor.

Billy has said he played the bass on The More We Live or did this or that. He said he didn't play on Talk and I don't think it is the result of a NDA...
        Both Billy Sherwood and Trevor Rabin have been fairly transparent about what they did with Yes. I'd take them at their word.

If Billy says he didn't work on Talk, it's very likely he didn't. Working with Yes isn't a thing a musician would sorta forget, or deny.

Jimmy Haun was also quite forthcoming about what he did for the Union album.

Perhaps the only tracks that have vague credits are the demos from Rabin submitted for Union.

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post

Both Billy Sherwood and Trevor Rabin have been fairly transparent about what they did with Yes. I'd take them at their word.

If Billy says he didn't work on Talk, it's very likely he didn't. Working with Yes isn't a thing a musician would sorta forget, or deny.

Jimmy Haun was also quite forthcoming about what he did for the Union album.

Perhaps the only tracks that have vague credits are the demos from Rabin submitted for Union.
          I agree. It is very likely Trevor replaced, "fixed", and/or edited a lot of Chris bass parts, as Chris said by the time he heard it, it sounded so manipulated and edited he couldn't tell what was him! As for the drums, Trevor 100% edited, chopped up, sampled/ looped, and manipulated Alan's drums. Not to mention adding sampled drums and cymbals over it. As for Billy, I think you are right.

Comment

Working...
          X