No announcement yet.

Jay’s future with Yes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe a website would do that. I mean, that's like re-recording a successful album with a different lead singer just because! ☺

Comment

Gently pushing us back to Jay.
      Hopes and fears for his coming time with the band?

One hope for me is that with him on board playing Relayer live becomes more imaginable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

One hope for me is that with him on board playing Relayer live becomes more imaginable.
        Relax. PalaceMan. Havin' watched him thunder through The Gates of Delerium in 2019. He's gunna do just fine. 😙

Comment

In a sense, Jay is now the new Alan, as Billy is the new Chris. Their mentors have trained them well, honing them into Yes-ready specimens. Jay is a very Alan White-styled drummer and will continue that legacy. I have no doubt he will do Yes proud. He'll never be or 'replace' Alan but he's got that added Whiteness. I just hope he becomes an official member with a voice and a vote and not just someone in 'friends of Yes' status who's just a hired gun. Gates sounded fine with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

Relax. PalaceMan. Havin' watched him thunder through The Gates of Delerium in 2019. He's gunna do just fine. 😙
            I like your style.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

I agree Relayer in full plus Remembering and on the silent wings of freedom

Jay is gonna be great

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

I agree Relayer in full plus Remembering and on the silent wings of freedom

Jay is gonna be great
                Plus The Ancient and Endless Dream.

One can dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post

Plus The Ancient and Endless Dream.

One can dream!
                  Any yes lineup or band pulls out endless dream and I will show up

Yes even Jon Anderson and the school of rock

Endless dream to me is like Relayer to most people I want to see it live

Comment

I could see Arc of Life doing it live one day, if they ever get around to touring.

Comment

Same for me really. I’ve seen Gates live in 2000, and would gladly see it again, but Endless Dream, or really anything from Talk would get my attention for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKUSA View Post
                        I could see Arc of Life doing it live one day, if they ever get around to touring.
                        Arc of Life actually doesn't have anyone who was in Yes for the Talk studio sessions, AFAIK. Billy Sherwood was hired as a touring musician on the tour for that album, so he probably backed up Rabin on guitar and sang additional vocals during live performances of the song, but he wasn't a session musician or a writer on the album.

AoL could still play it. I mean, they can play any song. However, there's no obvious impetus for them to. They're going to have two albums of their own material, and if they add anything else, it might be other songs they've worked on for Yes and other bands that skip those songs or no longer exist to play them (i.e. I think "The More You Live" [Union] was written by Billy with some of his vocals on the studio version and Jimmy Haun probably on guitar [Don't have the liner notes in front of me]. Sherwood was a full band member for OYE, The Ladder, and The Quest. JD was on the two most recent Yes albums. Circa:'s HQ album had three of them. Both Conspiracy albums had three of them World Trade's Euphoria had two of them. Lodgic's Nomadic Sands had two of them [I could see them doing a song as a tribute to Michael.]. There are some Prog Collective songs and songs from Sherwood's Citizen that have at least two of them.) or popular songs that might appeal to promoters and venues (i.e. "Roundabout", "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Starship Trooper", "I've Seen All Good People"- maybe some songs from bands they haven't played in that don't tour anymore like Genesis and The Police that some of their personnel are perfect for.).

I can see where people are coming from with "Endless Dream", though. I'd love to see them do stuff like "Love Will Find a Way", "Leave It", "It Can Happen", etc.- obviously they have the people to do Yes songs from any era. Actually, they may have a slightly better configuration than Yes for some of the YesWest stuff. I mean, Dave Kerzner or Steve Howe singing third? First two singers are the same.

And some of the YesWest stuff could give Sherwood a higher percentage of the vocals than 70s Yes fare, and since one of AoL's "things" is the blend of Sherwood and Davison's vocals (something that's been said in interviews) and sort of an inverse Yes with Billy as the main lead singer and Davison having a heavy but secondary vocals presence (Assumed from the first album), some songs that Trevor Rabin sang a lot on would fit (Especially those songs where Billy could pick up both Rabin's and Chris Squire's parts [I.e. Where they aren't singing over each other on the original]). The thing is, without the Yes name, any Yes songs they weren't personally involved with are covers, which may not be the vibe they want to send.

I just don't know if that's their vision. Three of these guys would be squeezing an AoL tour in clubs between Yes tours in front of thousands. Will they really want to play more Yes? It might be more a labor of love than something that pays the bills and they may want to just play their music (From in and maybe out of Arc of Life).

It may come down to what promoters are willing to book them to do, though.

It'll be interesting to see how they approach it if they get a chance. I hope they'll consider recording a stop for a live album, as I would imagine an AoL tour could be limited in terms of geography and number of dates.
                        Last edited by downbyariver; 06-05-2022, 10:36 PM.
                        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

Arc of Life actually doesn't have anyone who was in Yes for the Talk studio sessions, AFAIK. Billy Sherwood was hired as a touring musician on the tour for that album, so he probably backed up Rabin on guitar and sang additional vocals during live performances of the song, but he wasn't a session musician or a writer on the album.

AoL could still play it. I mean, they can play any song. However, there's no obvious impetus for them to. They're going to have two albums of their own material, and if they add anything else, it might be other songs they've worked on for Yes and other bands that skip those songs or no longer exist to play them (i.e. I think "The More You Live" [Union] was written by Billy with some of his vocals on the studio version and Jimmy Haun probably on guitar [Don't have the liner notes in front of me]. Sherwood was a full band member for OYE, The Ladder, and The Quest. JD was on the two most recent Yes albums. Circa:'s HQ album had three of them. Both Conspiracy albums had three of them World Trade's Euphoria had two of them. Lodgic's Nomadic Sands had two of them [I could see them doing a song as a tribute to Michael.]. There are some Prog Collective songs and songs from Sherwood's Citizen that have at least two of them.) or popular songs that might appeal to promoters and venues (i.e. "Roundabout", "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Starship Trooper", "I've Seen All Good People"- maybe some songs from bands they haven't played in that don't tour anymore like Genesis and The Police that some of their personnel are perfect for.).

I can see where people are coming from with "Endless Dream", though. I'd love to see them do stuff like "Love Will Find a Way", "Leave It", "It Can Happen", etc.- obviously they have the people to do Yes songs from any era. Actually, they may have a slightly better configuration than Yes for some of the YesWest stuff. I mean, Dave Kerzner or Steve Howe singing third? First two singers are the same.

And some of the YesWest stuff could give Sherwood a higher percentage of the vocals than 70s Yes fare, and since one of AoL's "things" is the blend of Sherwood and Davison's vocals (something that's been said in interviews) and sort of an inverse Yes with Billy as the main lead singer and Davison having a heavy but secondary vocals presence (Assumed from the first album), some songs that Trevor Rabin sang a lot on would fit (Especially those songs where Billy could pick up both Rabin's and Chris Squire's parts [I.e. Where they aren't singing over each other on the original]). The thing is, without the Yes name, any Yes songs they weren't personally involved with are covers, which may not be the vibe they want to send.

I just don't know if that's their vision. Three of these guys would be squeezing an AoL tour in clubs between Yes tours in front of thousands. Will they really want to play more Yes? It might be more a labor of love than something that pays the bills and they may want to just play their music (From in and maybe out of Arc of Life).

It may come down to what promoters are willing to book them to do, though.

It'll be interesting to see how they approach it if they get a chance. I hope they'll consider recording a stop for a live album, as I would imagine an AoL tour could be limited in terms of geography and number of dates.
                          Billy didn't back Rabin up. He doubled bass with Squire live on stage on Endless Dream (and handled keyboards as well).

https://youtu.be/yw5NKaIKt60

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Billy didn't back Rabin up. He doubled bass with Squire live on stage on Endless Dream (and handled keyboards as well).

https://youtu.be/yw5NKaIKt60
                            Double bass? What was that about? Haven’t seen this before and will check it out later.

Comment

Double bass? What was that about? Haven’t seen this before and will check it out later.
                              It's towards the end of the song.

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

AoL could still play it. I mean, they can play any song. However, there's no obvious impetus for them to. They're going to have two albums of their own material, and if they add anything else, it might be other songs they've worked on for Yes and other bands that skip those songs or no longer exist to play them (i.e. I think "The More You Live" [Union] was written by Billy with some of his vocals on the studio version and Jimmy Haun probably on guitar [Don't have the liner notes in front of me].
                                A good source told me Sherwood did do session work on Talk.

There's no Haun on "The More We Live". Haun was working with the ABWH side, not the YesWest side.

Comment

Working...
                                X