Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jay Schellen interview

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Jay Schellen interview

    Interesting stuff from Yes' latest member.
    The Definitive YES Albums

    -The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

    #2
    I would like to ask him what exacty he did on THE QUEST...

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you.

      Comment


        #4
        For me, the most interesting news was a possible archival release from Badfinger with Kaye and Schellen in the line up.

        Comment


          #5
          Anything about the follow up to the quest ?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
            Anything about the follow up to the quest ?
            sadly nothing, he wasn't asked. Its a fun interview still, he seems like a great guy, worked with Tony Kaye in Badfinger back in the day before his work with Billy Sherwood. Of course they were all in Circa at one point as well.
            The Definitive YES Albums

            -The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
            -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
            -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
              sadly nothing, he wasn't asked. Its a fun interview still, he seems like a great guy, worked with Tony Kaye in Badfinger back in the day before his work with Billy Sherwood. Of course they were all in Circa at one point as well.
              Yeah. people forget this about Schellen. He'd worked with Kaye and with Banks before he ever worked with Sherwood.

              Comment


                #8
                I see Schellen as a very solid live drummer (in the White mold) and I was relieved when he got the job. However, not knowing how much of The Quest drumming he originated, I know little of his compositions or his studio playing.

                Can someone enlighten me?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by patrickq View Post
                  I see Schellen as a very solid live drummer (in the White mold) and I was relieved when he got the job. However, not knowing how much of The Quest drumming he originated, I know little of his compositions or his studio playing.

                  Can someone enlighten me?
                  He was in World Trade with Billy and earlier, was in a band called Hurricane. He also played drums in Asia, featuring John Payne. One of my favorite pieces that he did with Billy was on the World Trade album, Euphoria. It’s called Wheels of Life.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJHhhfxtJDk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

                    He was in World Trade with Billy and earlier, was in a band called Hurricane. He also played drums in Asia, featuring John Payne. One of my favorite pieces that he did with Billy was on the World Trade album, Euphoria. It’s called Wheels of Life.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJHhhfxtJDk
                    I forgot all about Euphoria. I was lucky enough to see Schellen play at a Sherwood solo concert. They did “Say Goodbye,” a song I never dreamt I’d see live. Thanks for triggering this happy memory.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
                      For me, the most interesting news was a possible archival release from Badfinger with Kaye and Schellen in the line up.
                      Is this a live release of the duo (and their bandmates) playing classic Badfinger songs like "Day After Day" for an audience, or some previously unreleased original songs intended for a Badfinger studio release that never happened?
                      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by patrickq View Post
                        I see Schellen as a very solid live drummer (in the White mold) and I was relieved when he got the job. However, not knowing how much of The Quest drumming he originated, I know little of his compositions or his studio playing.

                        Can someone enlighten me?
                        In addition to the World Trade's Euphoria and the alt-rock band Hurricane (The latter being where he became a "name", but some of the least Yes-like music he performed on), you can also hear Schellen playing drums on Circa:'s second album, HQ (Interestingly, he was stepping for Alan White, who had returned to Yes when Yes returned from it's hiatus in the 00s, meaning that when he joined Yes later, it was at least the second time he'd followed White in a band).

                        Jay also plays drums on most or all of the first Dukes of the Orient album (Self-titled, 2018) and is the "S" in GPS, which released one album entitled Windows to the Soul in 2006 (He is joined by John Payne on both projects).

                        He's also credited as playing drums on both the self-titled Conspiracy album and it's sequel, The Unknown. He was joined in that band by Chris Squire, Billy Sherwood, and Jimmy Haun (Yes' Union album, Lodgic, Arc of Life), among others. Alan White is credited as also playing drums on the first album (but not the second).

                        Schellen is the drummer for both Arc of Life albums as well.

                        I notice he's credited on a Def Leppard album called All I Want Is Everything from the 1990s, but, to be honest, it's just something that came up when I was looking on the Internet just now. I didn't know he had done that. Everything else I knew or kind of knew and in some cases was checking to confirm, but that one came as a surprise to me.

                        You can also find him on a ton of tribute albums (i.e. People covering songs by famous bands and artists). He seems to be one of Sherwood's go-to guys for those things, and may also do some that Sherwood isn't involved with.
                        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

                        Comment


                          #13
                          ^Thanks!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
                            Is this a live release of the duo (and their bandmates) playing classic Badfinger songs like "Day After Day" for an audience, or some previously unreleased original songs intended for a Badfinger studio release that never happened?
                            You've heard the same interview as me. It's implied that these are studio recordings, but it's ambiguous.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Something of a journeyman; sticks for hire. Clearly capable, dependable and versatile, but not driven to be especially creative himself.
                              Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                              Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X