Prog Collective Drops Surprise LP: Seeking Peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prog Collective Drops Surprise LP: Seeking Peace

The Prog Collective issued a new seven song album/EP today entitled Seeking Peace. The collection features a variety of prog greats, including Billy Sherwood, Jon Davison, Geoff Downes, Pat Moraz, Steve Morse, Jordan Rudess, Jame LaBrie, and more.

Does anyone know anything about this? I just got the email in my inbox moments ago announcing it and releasing it simultaneously. I didn't see anything on Henry's site or elsewhere in advance.

Are these original songs or covers? I don't immediately recognize any of the songs as covers.

I enjoyed the first three Prog Collective albums, the first of two of which were all original songs, and the third of which was a mix of original songs and covers. I skipped the fourth album because it was only covers. This would be the fifth album (or the first EP), and if it's all new songs, it seems worth a buy to me! $6.50 for entire release.

Here's the Bandcamp link.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 11-11-2022, 03:22 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Great just saw it
    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

From the image of the inner spread on the Bandcamp page, it appears that the songs are originals by Billy.

Comment

Cool! Though I don't see it available on cd. Maybe it's like the Circa: Overflow EP, initially only available as a download. At least it's on vinyl for those who collect that. The cover artwork looks cool, possibly the best in the series.

This is a total surprise, I guess these are Billy Sherwood originals. I had no idea this was coming out, released so soon before the Arc Of Life 2nd album. Billy has a lot of stuff this year. Wasn't he also working on a solo album? Maybe some of that material ended up here on this EP.

Comment

I don’t see it on iTunes is there a way to purchase this EP

Comment

At 44 minutes and about 43 seconds, why is this being called an EP? That seems LP-length to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
              I don’t see it on iTunes is there a way to purchase this EP
              See the Bandcamp link in the initial post....

Comment

Digital download for only $ 6,50. That's more than a fair price for a 44 minutes EP.....

Comment

In the early going (listening wise), I like the B-Side the best- "Finally Over", "A Matter of Time", and "Take the Path". Off the other side, "Electric World" is also pretty good.
                  Last edited by downbyariver; 11-12-2022, 06:42 PM.
                  "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

I'm wondering from when these songs are. Someone like Steve Morse for instance hasn't been active for some time now, because of family circumstances. That coupled with the surprise release and that most of the guests have featured on earlier albums, makes me think that threse songs have not been recorded recently, but more that have been lying around for a while (perhaps 'leftovers' from the first two albums) and now have been finished by Billy.

I've been listening this morning and agree with DBAR that the "B-side" has the better songs. But overall there is not much that really grabs me immediately. When it's Billy on lead vocals, the vocals again sound very processed. It's almost as if Billy lacks self confidence to have his lead vocals natural sounding. As for the music. Either as prog it should be innovative and interesting or a good rock song should have a really memorable hook. Those songs seem to have neither, and apart from some good moments scattered, seem to just meandering. This goes mostly for the first four songs. The last three are more interesting, perhaps they need a few more listenings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
                      I'm wondering from when these songs are. Someone like Steve Morse for instance hasn't been active for some time now, because of family circumstances. That coupled with the surprise release and that most of the guests have featured on earlier albums, makes me think that threse songs have not been recorded recently, but more that have been lying around for a while (perhaps 'leftovers' from the first two albums) and now have been finished by Billy.
                      Most of these sorts of releases are "surprise releases". It doesn't look like Cleopatra Records put much money into promoting them. I don't think there's anything particularly significant in this just appearing. The material doesn't particularly sound like it's from the first two albums. Has anyone asked Billy about it on Facebook?

Comment

I listened to it - there are a few bits in there which sound nice, and interesting. But it's so....cluttered - I would say.
                        I remember reading comments by Steven Wilson - about how working with the King Crimson master tapes taught him so much about how to make records - particularly, the importance of space in the music. Wilson noted that the playing and the arrangements on those records was often intricate - but it was not very layered. And it made him realize how technology today allows us to easily multi-track every guitar and vocal and how some engineers and producers can do this to a fault. Wilson said he learned to fight that instinct and stop multi-tracking as a standard part of the process. And I remember that when I read it, I immediately thought of the Billy Sherwood records and how they always sound so me as if they've thrown the kitchen sink into the mix, as they say. So many layers that the tune gets lost.

Comment

Working...
                        X