X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davy
    replied
    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

I can't entirely disagree with that. How about this though, a new 18-minute epic from Jon Anderson, developing his "Opus" piece:

I actually like this, maybe not 18 minutes worth, though (sounds like it's structurally only two or three chords?) For Jon this is probably musical heaven, I remember reading a quote from Chris back in 1980 complaining that Jon only seemed interested in dreamy, trance-like music collages with simple instrumentation and vocals.
    Last edited by Davy; 09-15-2022, 03:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by True View Post
    I’d be interested in hearing a Jon Davison record but I would hope to hear what Davison might present which doesn’t sound derivative of Yes. I have lots of Yes records with a Dean cover and I’d be impressed if Davison avoided the urge to evoke Yes , should he offer any music under his own name. And I am sure Davison knows many outstanding players, as most musicians do, so I’d be equally impressed if he worked with some non-Yes members on a project.
    While he's not released a solo album, he has done multiple projects outside Yes, many of which don't sound anything like Yes, many of which are proggy and in the same ballpark but still aren't that Yessy. When it comes to Davison's non-Yes body of work, I would recommend

Glass Hammer: Cor Cordium
    The Samurai of Prog: Lost and Found
    In Continuum: Acceleration Theory Part One: AlienA

Or if you want the stuff that's least Yes-like

The Birds of Satan: The Birds of Satan
    Sky Cries Mary: This Timeless Turning

Leave a comment:

• True
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    I generally like Billy Sherwood stuff. I'll get this for sure and enjoy it to some extent. I may even really like it. I'm glad it exists and I'm glad Billy still pumps out albums, good, bad or in the middle. What we need also is a Jon Davison solo album with a couple Yes alumni on it and a Dean cover. Or one on Frontiers records with a Dream Theater-y looking cover, doesn't matter.
    I’d be interested in hearing a Jon Davison record but I would hope to hear what Davison might present which doesn’t sound derivative of Yes. I have lots of Yes records with a Dean cover and I’d be impressed if Davison avoided the urge to evoke Yes , should he offer any music under his own name. And I am sure Davison knows many outstanding players, as most musicians do, so I’d be equally impressed if he worked with some non-Yes members on a project.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by JMKUSA View Post
    On listening to it again, I think my problem with it is all the sounds are muddled and generic. Just in Sight from the first album was great because of the guitar tone and style (similar to Steve on Awaken). There’s some interesting stuff on Valley of the Windmill, the first Citizen record (largely thanks to the guest players), and on the Conspiracy albums. Those are probably my favorite Sherwood productions. Hopefully the rest of the album is more like those and less like this first song, which feels very similar to the first AOL release.

Does anyone think Billy’s albums sound similar to Tormato, in terms of the sound being a bit muddled? Billy loves Tormato and I’ve wondered it that’s why his productions sound a bit like it (not in terms of the playing but in how the sounds are mixed together and muddled).
    Reliance on a narrow sonic/tonal palette would also account for a flat and muddy soundscape. Depth and breadth of the sound is as much to do with composition and arrangement as it is to do with relative sound levels of the instruments and voices.

Leave a comment:

• JMKUSA
    replied
    On listening to it again, I think my problem with it is all the sounds are muddled and generic. Just in Sight from the first album was great because of the guitar tone and style (similar to Steve on Awaken). There’s some interesting stuff on Valley of the Windmill, the first Citizen record (largely thanks to the guest players), and on the Conspiracy albums. Those are probably my favorite Sherwood productions. Hopefully the rest of the album is more like those and less like this first song, which feels very similar to the first AOL release.

Does anyone think Billy’s albums sound similar to Tormato, in terms of the sound being a bit muddled? Billy loves Tormato and I’ve wondered it that’s why his productions sound a bit like it (not in terms of the playing but in how the sounds are mixed together and muddled).

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post

But then I wouldn't blame Billy or present-day 'prog' (oh, how You loathe that term) for this. While I accept your view on this genre, I don't take it as a measurement of quality.
    I have no idea what you're trying to say. You youngsters, it's like a different world to me.

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I wouldn't presume to fault his endeavours or his sincerity, but I hear nothing in what comes out of all that effort that I find at all interesting: there's next to nothing in present-day 'prog' (oh, how I loathe that term) that does. It's wholly derivative, in the worst sense, and not at all 'progressive', nor is it to my tastes. I suppose, given the effort he's lauded for putting in, the best I can say is that it is 'workmanlike'.
    But then I wouldn't blame Billy or present-day 'prog' (oh, how You loathe that term) for this. While I accept your view on this genre, I don't take it as a measurement of quality.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post

lol okay thats quite funny, but I do admire Billy's hard work ethic
    I wouldn't presume to fault his endeavours or his sincerity, but I hear nothing in what comes out of all that effort that I find at all interesting: there's next to nothing in present-day 'prog' (oh, how I loathe that term) that does. It's wholly derivative, in the worst sense, and not at all 'progressive', nor is it to my tastes. I suppose, given the effort he's lauded for putting in, the best I can say is that it is 'workmanlike'.

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
    Instant 'Prog'. Just add water.
    lol okay thats quite funny, but I do admire Billy's hard work ethic

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Instant 'Prog'. Just add water.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by YesWill View Post
    Everything Sherwood touches sounds like OYE to me (although, happily The Quest managed to escape this disease)
    I think that's down to the producer!

Leave a comment:

• YesWill
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    What we need also is a Jon Davison solo album with a couple Yes alumni on it and a Dean cover.
    I totally second this.

Davison has a unique singing style, and I like that he is increasingly embracing it rather than trying to be an Anderson clone. I think his singing style is an important part of the current Yes sound.
    Last edited by YesWill; 09-14-2022, 02:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YesWill
    replied
    I kinda like it, but agree that there is too much Sherwood. Everything Sherwood touches sounds like OYE to me (although, happily The Quest managed to escape this disease)

I have to say, I like the Haun bits of that song. When he is playing in his own style (and not copying Howe) he is not bad

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied
    It sounds about the same as the first one to me…just kinda sterile and dead with no air and smothered with that generic Sherwood sound. The track manages to be vaguely proggy while not actually doing anything especially memorable or interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    I generally like Billy Sherwood stuff. I'll get this for sure and enjoy it to some extent. I may even really like it. I'm glad it exists and I'm glad Billy still pumps out albums, good, bad or in the middle. What we need also is a Jon Davison solo album with a couple Yes alumni on it and a Dean cover. Or one on Frontiers records with a Dream Theater-y looking cover, doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X