New Arc Of Life - Don't Look Down - Nov 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    I generally like Billy Sherwood stuff. I'll get this for sure and enjoy it to some extent. I may even really like it. I'm glad it exists and I'm glad Billy still pumps out albums, good, bad or in the middle. What we need also is a Jon Davison solo album with a couple Yes alumni on it and a Dean cover. Or one on Frontiers records with a Dream Theater-y looking cover, doesn't matter.
    I’d be interested in hearing a Jon Davison record but I would hope to hear what Davison might present which doesn’t sound derivative of Yes. I have lots of Yes records with a Dean cover and I’d be impressed if Davison avoided the urge to evoke Yes , should he offer any music under his own name. And I am sure Davison knows many outstanding players, as most musicians do, so I’d be equally impressed if he worked with some non-Yes members on a project.

Comment

Originally posted by True View Post
      I’d be interested in hearing a Jon Davison record but I would hope to hear what Davison might present which doesn’t sound derivative of Yes. I have lots of Yes records with a Dean cover and I’d be impressed if Davison avoided the urge to evoke Yes , should he offer any music under his own name. And I am sure Davison knows many outstanding players, as most musicians do, so I’d be equally impressed if he worked with some non-Yes members on a project.
      While he's not released a solo album, he has done multiple projects outside Yes, many of which don't sound anything like Yes, many of which are proggy and in the same ballpark but still aren't that Yessy. When it comes to Davison's non-Yes body of work, I would recommend

Glass Hammer: Cor Cordium
      The Samurai of Prog: Lost and Found
      In Continuum: Acceleration Theory Part One: AlienA

Or if you want the stuff that's least Yes-like

The Birds of Satan: The Birds of Satan
      Sky Cries Mary: This Timeless Turning

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

I can't entirely disagree with that. How about this though, a new 18-minute epic from Jon Anderson, developing his "Opus" piece:

I actually like this, maybe not 18 minutes worth, though (sounds like it's structurally only two or three chords?) For Jon this is probably musical heaven, I remember reading a quote from Chris back in 1980 complaining that Jon only seemed interested in dreamy, trance-like music collages with simple instrumentation and vocals.
        Last edited by Davy; 09-15-2022, 03:19 PM.

Comment

You can now listen to the preview of all the songs on iTunes, so far I like Let Live the most
          "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post
            You can now listen to the preview of all the songs on iTunes, so far I like Let Live the most
            Nice. I mean, there's a limit to what you can judge from a 30 second sample(!), but these sound good. Better than the "single".

I thought "Real Time World" and "Don't Look Down" stood out. "Let Live" sounds interesting, lots of variation within a 30 second sample.

Comment

It's pretty good.

I just don't understand how a band with this kind of talent is putting out music that is just pretty good.
              “Not a single philosophic, moral, aesthetic or biological discovery allows the denial of God.” ~ Salvador Dali

Comment

Originally posted by The Whale View Post
                It's pretty good.

I just don't understand how a band with this kind of talent is putting out music that is just pretty good.
                Because they are primarily collaborating over the internet, if I had to guess. I think if they locked themselves together in a studio for a month we’d get a different result.

Comment

So with this coming in november, could the Yes album still
                  arrive this year?

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Nice. I mean, there's a limit to what you can judge from a 30 second sample(!), but these sound good. Better than the "single".

I thought "Real Time World" and "Don't Look Down" stood out. "Let Live" sounds interesting, lots of variation within a 30 second sample.
                    1:30 samples

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
                      So with this coming in november, could the Yes album still
                      arrive this year?
                      I think if the Yes album would be released this year we'd have a release date. Rick Wakeman for instance has just finished an album, which is being mastered right now and de release date is set for spring 2023.

Comment

From the samples I feel Let Live and Arc of Life sound the most interesting. Of course that last track clocks in over 17 minutes, so is indeed hard to judge on a 1:30 sample.

Comment

I like All things Considered. Great production. Sounds like Don't look Down could have an edge over the Debut album. It's just still hard getting past JD voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post

I actually like this, maybe not 18 minutes worth, though (sounds like it's structurally only two or three chords?) For Jon this is probably musical heaven, I remember reading a quote from Chris back in 1980 complaining that Jon only seemed interested in dreamy, trance-like music collages with simple instrumentation and vocals.
                            I like this as well, over much of the songs from the last few years. Its kinda the direction Id like to see Jon go musically. Its sounds like a sketch of a part of something epic, and Yes like. Simple tonal exploring, from which great melodies occasionally come. One can still hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
                              I think if the Yes album would be released this year we'd have a release date. Rick Wakeman for instance has just finished an album, which is being mastered right now and de release date is set for spring 2023.
                              Indeed. Also, they wouldn't arrange for Arc of Life to come out close to a new Yes album. They like to space these things out. I guess we're looking at first half of 2023 for the new Yes album, but hard to tell!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
                                Ah, I see he tweeted about his new album: https://twitter.com/GrumpyOldRick/st...82447695867904 So, general release in spring '23, but available in Dec on his tour.
                                Last edited by bondegezou; 09-18-2022, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X