Alan White Solo Retrospective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan White Solo Retrospective

I'm putting together a playlist/CD of Alan White solo Bands/Projects......but I only have 3 albums : Ramshackled......"WHITE" (from 2005), and the sorely over-looked "Levin/Torn/White" album from 2011.....what am I missing, and what essential tracks from these albums should I put
    in the Mix ?
    Last edited by carlmarx38; 02-06-2022, 01:23 PM.

i know he did a lot of stuff with Lennon, but seems like that all belongs in it's own thing.....except maybe the live "Imagine" from 2019

Comment

Played Live with The Syn.

Comment

Found a Genuine, Bona fide Alan White drum solo, Circa 2009, Live From Lyon (got the link from Steven at the Yesshift podcast !)

Solo kicks in around the 4:45 Mark............pretty sweet !

Comment

He played all the drums on the Wetton/Manzanera album from 1987. You want to hear Alan as drummer of Asia, this album will do it for you. But 80's haters beware - it's probably the most 'pop/commercial' sounding album of either Wetton or Phil Manzanera's careers. Even more so than Asia themselves. Alan plays in the heavy style he employed on Big Generator. The album was rereleased in the 90's as 'One World' with one bonus track. It was released on Geffen but came and went with little notice. I don't even remember a video.

Comment

Here's something :

1998 -ish ?

Comment

UNION Tour.....1991 :

Comment

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post
                I'm putting together a playlist/CD of Alan White solo Bands/Projects......but I only have 3 albums : Ramshackled......"WHITE" (from 2005), and the sorely over-looked "Levin/Torn/White" album from 2011.....what am I missing, and what essential tracks from these albums should I out in the Mix ?
                He's in the Glastonbury Faye film playing with Terry Reid. Years since I've seen it. Not sure how much footage there is of him, but I clearly remember him with an enormous joint. No idea if he recorded with Reid.
                Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

He also played with Circa, Treason, Conspiracy and Esquire, check out the list on yescography

https://www.relayer35.com/Yescography/alanwhit.htm
                    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

Essential CS/AW
                      Attached Files

Comment

That Terry Reid thing was more Woodstock than Woodstock!
                        Alan having fun. But let’s be honest: Yes was more than one step up
                        from this. The girl on the back of the motorcycle was more interesting than
                        these 2 chord jams...

Comment

It's a little tricky, making a compilation, because even on his
                          solo albums, it's really more of a band thing than an Alan White solo thing.....I should probably include "In the Presence Of", which Alan played a key co-writing role on......which begs the question, what YES songs is White most notable as a writer on ?

Comment

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post
                            It's a little tricky, making a compilation, because even on his
                            solo albums, it's really more of a band thing than an Alan White solo thing.....I should probably include "In the Presence Of", which Alan played a key co-writing role on......which begs the question, what YES songs is White most notable as a writer on ?
                            And plays the piano intro.

Astro has quite the underrated input.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

He's in the Glastonbury Faye film playing with Terry Reid. Years since I've seen it. Not sure how much footage there is of him, but I clearly remember him with an enormous joint. No idea if he recorded with Reid.
                              And I just had my old boot copy in the other day As mentioned in the “current listening” I think. Must have had esp. lol.

Gotta include that piece of history in the comp.

yeah those were wild times, lots of fun, remember it well....

......Ok, not, I was only 7, I had no clue what was going on! 😆😆.

Comment

Working...
                              X