Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever fallen asleep at a concert you shouldn't have fallen asleep at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever fallen asleep at a concert you shouldn't have fallen asleep at?

Guilty as charged, m'Lud.

Van Morrison at Birmingham Odeon, Friday October 15, 1982.
    I have the date engraved on my memory as I'd arranged for a couple of friends to help me move out of my parent's house the next morning, and my parents knew nothing about it.
    Possibly I nodded off because I let myself relax for the first time in several days, but in truth, it was a very dull concert, and I suspect I would have nodded off at some point anyway....
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

No concert.

But I did nod off at a Shakespeare in the Park play in NYC a few years back. I can’t blame the play, the players were wonderful. I blame me - and too many cold brews in the summer hanging out with others prior to the show.

ps: My wife catches a few z’s at most yes concerts at some point.

Comment

Van? 2nd best thing to come out of Northern Ireland after Mrs Frank Lampard. Hooley blinkin' Dooley!
      Attached Files

Comment

Nope. As a woman who normally attends such events alone, frankly it's just not safe to have that happen. But also, I can't say I've ever been to a concert that bored me.
        Last edited by luna65; 03-01-2022, 06:30 PM.
        Rabin-esque
        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

No, but I’m well known for falling asleep at rehearsal spaces and in recording studios during rehearsals and recording.

🤷🏻‍♀️
          Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Yeah, at the Rites Of Spring Festival in Pennsylvania in 2005, I saw Arena. 'Pepper's Ghost' was their current album at the time. I was dead tired from travel and insufficient sleep, so I was nodding off a little during Arena's set on that Friday night - which I shouldn't have done, as neo-prog bands don't cross over to the States too often. But I wasn't bored, just tired. Actually, listening to loud live music with jarring musical sections in a dimly lit theater while half asleep is kinda cozy, really.

Comment

I was on a band trip in high school, my junior year. My best friend and I got little sleep the entire time. We we playing in our music competition, and we had a piece with a sixty-four measure rest. Yep, both of us fell asleep, and awoke around the same time, or were waken up to find we both had no idea where we were in the piece. Thank goodness we were trumpet players and not in the front row on the stage. We still placed second as a group.

Comment

Ouch... yes. Thrice. Once at the Dec 5th 2002 Los Angeles Yesshow (easy to remember the date as it was my birthday) during 'In The Presence Of'. I had just recovered from a week with the flu and I closed my eyes and went off to Magnification land. At some point woke up to Jon singing Happy Birthday which was a bit startling... My daughter who was with me assured me he was singing to someone else.

Another time was during Al Di Meola's set at the Long Beach Arena. After a tiring long day at work and the hour and a half drive from the San Fernando Valley I barely made it through Renaissance's opening set and fell dead asleep for most of the rest of the show. I was told it was very good...

The other time was very embarrassing as I was 16 years old seeing Led Zeppelin at the Forum. Took a Quaalude and drank some Jack Daniels on top of the huge amount of weed that was being freely shared and I fell asleep during Bonzo's drum solo... And to make matters worse this was the night Kieth Moon was onstage playing with him! My friends tell me they tried to revive me but all I remember was sort of waking up during Page's super long solo and immediately needing to get some fresh air and somehow made my way outside were I remained for the rest of the show. And somehow my friends magically found me there afterwards and got me into the car and home. Net effect was I remember very little of that show. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesjim View Post
                  Ouch... yes. Thrice. Once at the Dec 5th 2002 Los Angeles Yesshow (easy to remember the date as it was my birthday) during 'In The Presence Of'. I had just recovered from a week with the flu and I closed my eyes and went off to Magnification land. At some point woke up to Jon singing Happy Birthday which was a bit startling... My daughter who was with me assured me he was singing to someone else.

Another time was during Al Di Meola's set at the Long Beach Arena. After a tiring long day at work and the hour and a half drive from the San Fernando Valley I barely made it through Renaissance's opening set and fell dead asleep for most of the rest of the show. I was told it was very good...

The other time was very embarrassing as I was 16 years old seeing Led Zeppelin at the Forum. Took a Quaalude and drank some Jack Daniels on top of the huge amount of weed that was being freely shared and I fell asleep during Bonzo's drum solo... And to make matters worse this was the night Kieth Moon was onstage playing with him! My friends tell me they tried to revive me but all I remember was sort of waking up during Page's super long solo and immediately needing to get some fresh air and somehow made my way outside were I remained for the rest of the show. And somehow my friends magically found me there afterwards and got me into the car and home. Net effect was I remember very little of that show. Ouch.
                  Although I didn't fall asleep, I went to Johnny Winter in, I think, 1983 at Hammersmith Odeon. 4 of us in a car driving down from Leicester, smoking Lebanese all the way down. I know we parked in St John's Wood near Lords cricket ground and took the Tube to Hammersmith but I have no memory of the concert at all or of the Odeon. Nothing. Complete blank, a void.
                  Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

Although I didn't fall asleep, I went to Johnny Winter in, I think, 1983 at Hammersmith Odeon. 4 of us in a car driving down from Leicester, smoking Lebanese all the way down. I know we parked in St John's Wood near Lords cricket ground and took the Tube to Hammersmith but I have no memory of the concert at all or of the Odeon. Nothing. Complete blank, a void.
                    So what you're sayin', If I am readin' you right is the lights were on you but then you couldn't see and it seemed a long and strange trip down to London. 🐵

Comment

I fell asleep at the one String Cheese Incident show I saw. I think Jiggle the Handle opened and I saw their set, was asleep by the time SCI took the stage.

Then I nodded off for sure during the longest Phish jam I ever saw, might be their longest jam. It was the Runaway Jim at Worcester, 58 minutes or something. We had great seats too, it's just kind of funny. I'm not the kind of Phish fans that puts all their chips on the long jams anyway. It reminds me of how Yes fans are with the clock - immediately Mind Drive was a hit w the die hards because it's 20 minutes lol.

I told a friend who brought up the 58 minute Runaway Jim and I was all, "I was there and fell asleep" and he goes, "No way! I fell asleep listening to the tape dude!"

Comment

Working...
                      X