Hipgnosis : New Doco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hipgnosis : New Doco

Not the licensin' behemoth syphonin' up all the classic back catalogues. But the album cover designers. New doco with in depth look at these guys. Thorgeson and Powell. Those crazy hepcats who used photo-realistic surrealism to delight the rock world for years.

Hope some dirt dished on the covers for G4T1 and Tormato. Who did throw the ploughman's lunch?

SQUARIN' THE CIRCLE

Squaring The Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis
    Squaring The Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis Print E-mail
    Written by Matt
    Tuesday, 06 September 2022
    Just given an airing at the Rodeo Screening Room in Los Angeles, California, on August 24th as part of the Telluride Film Festival, is a new documentary from celebrated photographer, creative director and filmmaker Anton Corbijn. Squaring The Circle: The Story Of Hipgnosis, which is 101 minutes long, tells the story of Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey 'Po' Powell, the creative geniuses behind the iconic album art design studio, Hipgnosis, responsible for some of the most recognisable album covers of all time. They formed Hipgnosis in Cambridge during the ferment of the sixties and became rock royalty during the boom time of the seventies. They conjured into existence sights that no one had previously thought possible, produced visuals which popularised music that had previously been considered fringe, and were at the white-hot centre of the maddest, funniest and most creative era in the history of popular music.

During this period, record companies didn’t dictate to acts like Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Paul McCartney what their LP covers should look like - Storm and Po did. They made money; they lost money. They did great things; they did silly things. They fell out bitterly; they made up. They never played a note, but they changed music. The film features brand new interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour & Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, Peter Gabriel, Graham Gouldman of 10cc, Noel Gallagher, and many more.

As yet we don't have details of any upcoming screenings, or streaming possibilities, although we suspect such information will be available soon. In the meantime, here's a quick look at part of the documentary, with Storm, Po, David, Roger and Nick all talking about the cover to Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother:
    SQUARING THE CIRCLE (the story of hipgnosis) | Clip | Anton Corbijn | Raindog Films from Raindog Films on Vimeo.
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 09-08-2022, 09:00 PM.

The actual title of the documentary is Squaring The Circle: The story of Hipgnosis. Directed by Anton Corbijn (and tbh it looks like every other thing he's done, lol).

There was a documentary primarily focused on Storm a few years ago, and it seems Po is in his legacy-building phase now, hence one which focuses on them equally (one would suspect).

In the retrospective book they co-authored, For the Love of Vinyl: The Album Art of Hipgnosis, there is a section about GFTO (but not Tormato) and there's nothing particularly controversial save the record company's reaction to the cover, which we already know about. Also, the investment company is actually named after the design firm.

Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

"Who did throw the ploughman's lunch?"

Tomatoes do not feature in a Ploughman's lunch, which is cheese, bread, pickled onions &/or chutney. Some yuppie pubs now try to add salad or a garnish.

Tormato is and was a bloody awful cover. I'm not convinced Hipgnosis didn't add the toms themselves though.

I love Corbijn's work, so looking forward to seeing this.

Comment

One of the elements that brought me to Yes was their album covers so when I first saw GFTO cover I was pretty dumbfounded, but at least the music was great. Then came along Tormato which I found the cover to be slightly more interesting really only because of the presence of Yes Tor and its story, but otherwise the cover was (is) boring and the music was, ah, less great (but it has aged well at least for me). Of course Drama put Roger back on the job which was not his best effort but still far better than the two prior albums or the two following YesWest albums.

Hipgnosis made some fantastic album covers for a number of bands and sadly Yes is not on that list but I'll be looking to watch this documentary anyway. Thanks for sharing it GG!
        Last edited by kkleinschmidt; 09-09-2022, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X