Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they say face mask? Is there another kind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they say face mask? Is there another kind?

Hi Yesfans
    Who's getting old? Certainly not me, well older yes, but not old, not yet.
    I probably should start by introducing myself.
    there you go...
    Now on to more important stuff
    A lot of time has gone by since our last conversation, so I think I should respectfully acknowledge the passing of the great Chris Squire and the wonderful Alan White, both great and both wonderful, neither greater or less wonderful than the other, one a drummer, the other a bass player. Good friends, that's what they were. Their love for each other as best mates, along with the music they made together as the rhythm section of the best prog rock combo ever. Sadly missed, much appreciated...
    You know, I have been spoilt. I have, over the years evolved into a prog rock snob and proud of it. I still get a twinge when I hear a CCR riff, still get turned on by however many rock classics that I inadvertently hear with my ears, but prog rock, if its even an applicable term these days, is what I crave and listen to in my free time. What I choose to listen to. Same can be said for most of you I'm sure.
    I've been listening to a lot of The Flower Kings, Fish, Marillion, Ben Craven, Glass Hammer and lots of stuff. But after immersing myself in fathoms of various prog depths for lengthy periods of time I say to myself, wow, this band is cool but lets see how that compares to Yes. So I pull out an old favourite and...bang, there you go!! Yes, now there it is, nothing compares really, at least for me.
    What a strange band. What an interesting story. How peculiar are they? What great heights they reached in musical excellence and what strength of purpose they clung to in times of confusion. How unique are they? For us, we know, for everyone else...so what.
    I bought my first Yes album when I was 16 in 1974. Close to the Edge, nice starter hey? It got into my brain and made me what I am today. A proud prog rock "Yesfan".
    In life, we go through times of change. My life is much busier now than it was when I first joined Yesfans wayback. Back then I smoked a lot of pot, had a 9 to 5 job, spent most of my money on said pot and basically had a good time. I especially enjoyed posting on this forum and being a part of the Yesfans online community. In particular the Delete thread was a blast.
    These days, I have to pass regular drug tests in my job as big time long haul truck driver, which pays better.
    You really should congratulate me for my commitment to making money and being responsible and stuff.

Anyway, I've been meaning to take the time to do this and say hello to you guys for a long time.
    A special hello to all Knights of Deletia
    Regards
    Sir Bells OA KOD SOF

Welcome (back)!
    Keep the posts coming.
    Looking forward to the hew album?

BTW in Dutch we don’t say face mask, but mouth cap. Sort of. Hard to translate.

Comment

Thanks CP,
      i don't know how often I'll be able to post but I will for sure be a regular. Regular as regards to time, not like a mcdonalds meal.
      and now that i know there's a new album coming? Yes! I am definitely looking forward to that. It will be very interesting to see what they come up with.
      I am goIng to check out the thread right now.
      cheers!

Comment

We use "mask" and "face mask" interchangeably around here.

I suppose adding "face" is simply to avoid any confusion with other types of masks, such as the full-face Guy Fawkes mask used by Anonymous supporters, or the Lone Ranger's mask, or the half face worn by Batman (also referred to as the "Masked Crusader").

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
          We use "mask" and "face mask" interchangeably around here.

I suppose adding "face" is simply to avoid any confusion with other types of masks, such as the full-face Guy Fawkes mask used by Anonymous supporters, or the Lone Ranger's mask, or the half face worn by Batman (also referred to as the "Masked Crusader").
          Hi pz,
          I never did become on first name terms with anyone. Where is "around here"?
          But yes, you're absolutely correct, there are other types of mask, which I honestly couldn't think of until I read your post. Now I'm picturing those ones on a stick that they used in medieval times or whenever it was. Or maybe they still do at illuminati get togethers and things like that, you know, the weird fockers. While we're still on the subject of sunglasses, I often wonder why they, well at least to me, make people appear more attractive. Eyes are great, especially Raquel Welch's, but cover them up with dark spheres and boom, another dimension. I don't think there is an explanation but it has always amazed me how a shaded woman becomes instantly alluring. One of the mysteries of our existence. Or at least my existence.
          Besides that, I must confess to making up a title for my post that probably has nothing to do with the actual post.
          So should this thread still be here then or...
          I mean is it really a valid thread or should I...um...get rid of it...somehow

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Bells View Post

Hi pz,
            I never did become on first name terms with anyone. Where is "around here"?
            But yes, you're absolutely correct, there are other types of mask, which I honestly couldn't think of until I read your post. Now I'm picturing those ones on a stick that they used in medieval times or whenever it was. Or maybe they still do at illuminati get togethers and things like that, you know, the weird fockers. While we're still on the subject of sunglasses, I often wonder why they, well at least to me, make people appear more attractive. Eyes are great, especially Raquel Welch's, but cover them up with dark spheres and boom, another dimension. I don't think there is an explanation but it has always amazed me how a shaded woman becomes instantly alluring. One of the mysteries of our existence. Or at least my existence.
            Besides that, I must confess to making up a title for my post that probably has nothing to do with the actual post.
            So should this thread still be here then or...
            I mean is it really a valid thread or should I...um...get rid of it...somehow
            Hiya Bells!

"Around here" is SoCal, a bit north of L.A.

Naw, I wouldn't bother deleting it, but it probably belongs in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF thread.

😎

Comment

Here's my face mask (I wish)

Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BNzAxYmU2YmItODJkNC00MzljLTkxMjctNWM4Njg1MDVhN2Y1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,47,500,281_.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	24022
              Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
              My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

I think it's clear enough that the term 'face-mask' refers to a covering of the mouth and news for medical purposes, rather than masks used in certain forms of the dramatic arts, or to rob banks.
                Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Here's my favorite anti-masker video, the crazy man on the plane. He just keeps getting more and more unhinged until at 0:45 he's eating his mask then putting it over his eyes.

😆

I've only had a couple of wonky anti-masker encounters. One was pretty innocuous - my wife and I were walking back from an estate sale last year, where they required masks inside. No problems there, but as we were walking back to our car we were still wearing them (I usually leave mine on until I get into the car, so I don't have to hold onto it. It's just easier to remove it once I'm IN the car, as then I have somewhere to put it). Some older gent was walking his dog, and snidely asked us why we were wearing masks, as though it were any of his business in the first place.

The other was a bit stranger. We were holding scheduled auditions for an operetta, and a young man (16 or 17 years old I think) came in with his mother, both unmasked. The audition notices specifically noted that masks would be required, and the mother had called ahead and was told masks were required (Our director has MS, and is immunocompromised, so INSISTS on precautions).

When they came inside, they were told they needed to mask up. The mother then pulled out the paperwork she had printed up from some website that "proved" they didn't have to wear masks. She was waving her "proof" around in the air, and generally causing a scene. The producer managed to convince them to join him outside to discuss it, and she threatened to call the police if we didn't let them go maskless inside. He told her to go ahead and call police, AND SHE DID. And THEY SHOWED UP.

They summoned her to the parking lot, and after a few minutes of discussion she, her son, and the police all left.
                  Last edited by pianozach; 08-29-2022, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Because idiot mask might be offensive to those who are easily swayed.
                    “Not a single philosophic, moral, aesthetic or biological discovery allows the denial of God.” ~ Salvador Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                      I think it's clear enough that the term 'face-mask' refers to a covering of the mouth and news for medical purposes, rather than masks used in certain forms of the dramatic arts, or to rob banks.
                      Boy did it feel really weird the first time I walked into a bank wearing a mask.

Then the pandemic happened.

Comment

....and then there's the person driving their car, alone...wearing a face mask. Sad

Comment

Working...
                        X