McDonalds to charge EV's in Drive Thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McDonalds to charge EV's in Drive Thru

McDonalds HQ has announced that from 2023 every restaurant drive thru in Australia will offer super-charging for electric vehicles.

Fast-charge food? McDonalds to offer EV charging at drive-thru restaurants – UPDATE

Do you want fries with that? Charge your car and your appetite in one convenient location.

James Ward
    02:15, 01 April 2022
    15comments

Previous
    View 3 imagesView 3 images
    Next

Fast-food giant McDonalds has today revealed a plan to install electric vehicle charging stations at the majority of the 970 restaurant outlets around Australia.

The network, known simply as McCharge, will enable drivers to charge their electric and plug-in hybrid cars while queuing for the drive-through lane.

Available in three sizes, the Mc Happy Charge, Quarter Charge and Big McCharge, will each deploy 10kW, 20kW and 40kW respectively at small (7kWh), medium (22kWh) and large (50kWh) rates.
    View 3 images
    Drivers can upsize as required and also add a serving of french fries or sundae to their order.

A spokesperson for McDonalds, Hamilton Urglar, stated that "customers could mix and match menu items, and even try seasonal specials like the Double Quarter Charge and McRib."

While items on the charging menu would take longer to serve than a standard drive-through meal, each purchase includes a licenced Minions puzzle to keep drivers entertained.

The rollout of the network is expected to be completed by April 1 2023.

April fool....

Comment

Will Happy Jack's follow suit?

Will Scott Morrison bring an entire bag of coal to Parliament to protest?

Will people stopping their cars long enough to charge electric batteries make their babies sitting ducks for hungry dingos?

All these answers and more next April 1!
      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Actually, though I'm aware that this is likely an April Fool's Day joke, it wouldn't be an awful idea for McDonald's or some other large chain of fast food restaurants, or really any chain of anything with a public parking lot, to start universally rolling out chargers for electric vehicles across entire countries. In a lot of places, if you can charge your car anywhere there's a McDonald's, that's probably enough to give people confidence knowing they can buy electric vehicles and use them to travel extensively. In the US, building more electric charging stations is part of the infrastructure bill that President Biden signed into law last year, but not every country is doing that, and, even here, I don't know if we're building them out to the level that it wouldn't be helpful to also have some big private companies enter the market as well.

For a restaurant, it also means that customers will be sitting in your parking lot longer and might place multiple food orders while they wait. The only thing is that this doesn't seem to match McDonald's MO of getting cars onto and off of their property as quickly as possible to service as many people per minute and hour as possible. Everything about that company from the time Ray Koch bought it is about increasing efficiency and speed from the way food is prepared outward. However, if you were to, say, apply this to a chain of casual dining restaurants (Places where you sit down, but don't need a reservation [Usually pricier than fast food, but on the lower end of places with wait staff.] in the US, Applebee's , Friendly's, Ruby Tuesday's, TGIFridays, and places like that would qualify. I don't know what the the Australian equivalents, though I'm sure they have them.)- maybe even a "charge while you eat" thing where you go in and sit down in a casual dining restaurant and there is an employee in the parking lot to make sure people aren't unplugging your chargers or something. I could also see it working at fast food restaurants that have you drive to individual stalls already and sometimes eating in them (Sonic would be an American example- though it has the other type of drive-thru as well at many locations) instead of lining up cars behind each other to collect food from a window and driving away with it.

Of course, in Australia, one question I'd have is just how much of their electric grid is based on coal power and how much electric cars really help with reducing CO2 emissions if the electricity they are using comes predominantly from a power plant burning coal. That's honestly just a question, though. It's entirely possible that because coal is such a big political issue, and that time Scott Morrison brought that lump of coal into Parliament, that we all think there's more coal burning going in Australia than there actually is. I'm also not sure how much is exported to Asia versus used for electricity domestically there. I've never been to Australia, so I just rely on what I read and watch online, mostly, which can sometimes lack important contextual information that locals would just know and that thus aren't stated in articles intended primarily for Aussies.
        Last edited by downbyariver; 04-01-2022, 10:58 AM.
        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Morrison and his Fossil Fuel paymasters (major donors and place to work after leaving politics) would love to burn every ounce of the dirty,black stuff till we finally burn up altogether.

Fortunately business and shareholders are shifting to cheaper renewables. The South Australian state government worked with Elon Musk to have the world's biggest battery to store energy from renewables.

Fortescue Metals owned by Twiggy Forrest is soon to export green hydrogen. The price of EVs are comin'down.

So Federal government is dragging its feet. State governments and business is accelerating renewables and coal fired plants have closed or are on track to close years before scheduled.

So, yeah, I'll have fries with that.

btw like Wetherspoons is a punchline in the UK, why is Applebees a punchline in theUS for latenight talk show hosts?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
            why is Applebees a punchline in theUS for latenight talk show hosts?
            If you wanted to go out to eat and were looking for sort of the very lowest price level (other than a diner) that will have a waiter or waitress serve you seat you at a table and serve you your meal, Applebee's would be in that category. They also typically have a bar at the center of the restaurant that is self-seating. That they serve alcohol is another thing that separates them from a traditional burger joint, diner, or fast food place in most states (Alcohol laws vary by state).

As one might expect, their food is not the best. A lot of it appears to be items that were prepared frozen and shipped to the store and then basically stuck in a microwave (or the restaurant equivalent of a microwave for mass heating and consumption), though I haven't actually been in the kitchen (Which is staff only), so I can't prove that- it just tastes that way. There's not a master chef back there coming up with new creations- it's all stuff from a national menu, and the limited time special dishes are decided centrally and rolled out to all of the local restaurants. They tend to hire teenagers and people who might be underqualified for actual fine dining, so that sort of adds to the lack of ambiance along with the food.

The portions are to my way of thinking kind of small and, I realize this is incredibly vague, the word that comes to mind when I think of their restaurant is "sticky". I don't mean sticky as in you get hooked and there is this menu item you love and you stop going to other restaurants, I mean, physically sticky, like by the time I was done dining there, my hands always felt sticky. It was a toss up whether this was because they served some sticky foods, that the menus and tables were already sticky (Having presumably not been adequately cleaned), or some other factor- it may have depended on the visit. Sometimes I'd get food that appeared fully cooked, but was cold, which I don't think is a rare experience there.

Another thing that holds them up for ridicule is that they decided to launch an advertisement campaign some years ago in which they cast themselves as local hangouts. Obviously, while it's entirely possible that in some towns the locals do predominantly hang out there, especially past a certain time where some restaurants may be closed, all of the stores basically look exactly alike and serve basically the exact same food. So, it's not localized, if that makes sense. You'd expect a local hangout to have locally popular dishes, local beer, a local look and feel, and so on and so forth, but, largely, Applebee's is Applebee's wherever you go (I think I may have occasionally seen a single local beer choice at some locations- but mostly, not). There's nothing wrong with a chain being largely the same wherever you go, but when you roll out a whole advertising and branding campaign that implies that you're heavily localized, and you're not at all, or almost not at all, localized, it tends to hold you up for ridicule. The most local thing I've seen about them is that sometimes the television(s) in the bar area will show the local sports team, and sometimes in the foyer (It's probably generous to call it a foyer, but it is a small room you walk into and out of to get the restaurant, so it might technically be one) they hang some sort of local high school (secondary school- largely students 14-18 years of age) banners or the like, but in the same place in any one you walk into.

There is sort of a stereotype that co-workers, especially female ones (It's often a good idea to use women in stuff like that, because it appeals to women who might normally find a bar and grill too masculine to just hang out at, and also to men who would like to think they might have single women to flirt with), might come there after work and drink some happy hour margaritas on special and eat some appetizers to wind down. I think this is encouraged by the chain advertising wise, though I can't think of any specific ad campaign about it off the top of my head. I have never actually seen this in practice at an Applebee's, however.

I would say that if you were going to order something like a hamburger and fries, you'd be better off at a place like 5 Guys, which has the best hamburgers I've ever tasted, even though it's the kind of place that gives you an order number and has you come up to the counter and grab a brown paper bag of stuff when it's done. If you want something like a steak, you'd be better off going to some place a little nicer than Applebee's. Everything at Applebees seem sort of in the "marginally acceptable category"- it's not quite as awful as it's sometimes portrayed, but very few people would say they make the best anything (The lack of specialization and semi-reasonable prices does make it a reasonable compromise destination for groups, though.).

In fairness, I have to say I don't go to Applebee's very often. A lot of my memories of the place come from when I was actively dating circa 2001-2007 or 2008 (These qualified as expensive for me, though occasionally doable- which may be one factor in terms of why my active dating period was so short. ) and briefly when an out of town relative and I would meet at one sometimes in the 10s.

I think they serve a purpose and probably wind up the brunt of a lot of fairly generic jokes about restaurants in their general class because they are fairly ubiquitous here, so people watching a late night show know what is being referred to when the name comes up. There are a lot of similar chains that are just regional, and jokes about them in a national medium would mean anyone not familiar with one region's restaurants wouldn't quite understand the joke in the same way as those who do.

At the same time, I also feel like there is a lot of room for a chain to step in and attempt to fill this same sort of niche, but do it a lot better.
            Last edited by downbyariver; 04-01-2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Aren't parking spaces and charging stations going to be one and the same in the future?

Comment

Thanks DBAR. Good point about nationally known punchlines. Those latenight hosts also take pot shots at Papa John's pizza and taco bell. (?)

Don't mind a couple of quarter pounders myself tho never buy Macca's dumb watered down cola drink. Insultin'.

We have Oporto Burgers in Sydney. Portuguese chicken takeaway first made famous in Bondi. As I have a smidge of Iberian DNA it attracts me too.

As to parking bays being charging bays. Excellent idea.
                Also they need to solve how cars can be charged with only street parking available to people.

Comment

There are two kings of late night dining in my part of the world. My personal choice would be White Castle but the other classic is Waffle House which never closes (they didn't even have locks on their doors until pandemic hit). But our real favorite around this part of the world is Skyline Chili.

Applebees sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                    Thanks DBAR. Good point about nationally known punchlines. Those latenight hosts also take pot shots at Papa John's pizza and taco bell. (?)
                    Taco Bell is a fast food chain that serves Mexican food. I think the deal is that people generally find it lacks authenticity and reimagines Mexican food for American audiences at a low level of quality. I have never patronized it because I don't like cheese, which is a mainstay of Mexican food (I'll pick up some tortilla chips and salsa at the grocery store on occasion, though- a cheese-free Mexican snack).

Papa John's is a pizza delivery place who's one-time owner (the titular Papa John, who founded the company and used to be a heavy on-screen presence in their advertising, playing himself) and one or more employees at his chain have been involved in various scandals, many involving racist language and the like (and worse). Papa John resigned at some point under pressure due to racism scandals. Some people who like pizza tell me that his chain initially delivered a better pizza than some other nationally known brands like Dominos, but then became more of the same. Again, I don't know, because I don't like cheese, and they serve pizza.

Comment

[QUOTE=kkleinschmidt;n11715]There are two kings of late night dining in my part of the world. My personal choice would be White Castle but the other classic is Waffle House which never closes (they didn't even have locks on their doors until pandemic hit). But our real favorite around this part of the world is Skyline Chili.

/QUOTE]

Ah. The world famous Skyline Cincinatti Chilli. Look away now DBAR...

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-4-way_Cincinnati_chili_from_Camp_Washington_Chili_in_Cincinnati_OH_USA.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	11732

The family chilli sauce recipe is secret and kept in a bank vault. Of course it is.

Comment

That's it GG! Plenty of folks get their chili without cheese, either with or without spaghetti, and Skyline also has really good black beans and rice so Dbar there are options for you if you are ever in our neighborhood. Papa John's started just down the river from us in Jeffersonville Indiana which is across the river from Louisville (not a fan of their pizza at all). Don't get me started on Taco Bell...

Comment

You can get me started on Taco Bell maaaan. I'll have a black bean burrito supreme, and a spicy potato soft taco. Sierra Mist I think is what you call the 7-Up at Taco Bell.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gilly Goodness;n11731]
                            Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
                            There are two kings of late night dining in my part of the world. My personal choice would be White Castle but the other classic is Waffle House which never closes (they didn't even have locks on their doors until pandemic hit). But our real favorite around this part of the world is Skyline Chili.

/QUOTE]

Ah. The world famous Skyline Cincinatti Chilli. Look away now DBAR...

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-4-way_Cincinnati_chili_from_Camp_Washington_Chili_in_Cincinnati_OH_USA.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	11732

The family chili sauce recipe is secret and kept in a bank vault. Of course it is.
                            I went to Cincinnati on a business trip and my boss said "Be sure to try the three way". Imagine my disappointment when I saw the Skyline menu.

Comment

Working...
                            X