The Art of M.C Escher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Art of M.C Escher

This is a guy that’s interested me for some time now. Basically, Escher was a man that created art based off of impossible objects. His art has also been referenced a lot in popular culture. Here’s a sample of his art.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B94228B5-FD59-4761-B956-96162304D2D9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	10959 Big Escher fan. (Not just because he was Dutch)
    So many iconic etchings.
    This is one of my favorites. There used to be a white spot in the center, but university students solved it a few years ago.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
      Click image for larger version Name:	B94228B5-FD59-4761-B956-96162304D2D9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	10959 Big Escher fan. (Not just because he was Dutch)
      So many iconic etchings.
      This is one of my favorites. There used to be a white spot in the center, but university students solved it a few years ago.
      You can kinda see the art style change where the spot was.

Comment

I remember Escher first becoming HUGE in the '80s, as his artwork began to be licensed broadly. I used to have a t-shirt with the Hand with Reflecting Sphere artwork.
        Rabin-esque
        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

New Tears for Fears video for Break the Man references Escher in computer animation.

Comment

There's a book about, among other things, AI and the Turing Test called Godel Escher Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by a chap called Hofstadter. It was on a lot of people's shelves in the 1980s, and I suspect for the most part I stayed there. I managed to read but it was frequently hard going, and occasionally incomprehensible.
            I've been an Escher fan since the 1970s. I vaguely remember seeing a documentary, probably on BBC2. I had a diary a few years ago that had a lot of his drawings and etchings in. I've kept the diary, with the intention at some point of mounting the pictures but I've not gotten around to it yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B...ch?wprov=sfla1
            Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 03-27-2022, 11:57 AM.
            Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
            Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I've unearthed some of the Escher pictures I cut from my 2004 diary. This is half of them roughly. I think there were two for each month. I'm undecided, still, whether to mount them in frames individually, in pairs or threes, or all on one panel together. They're good quality prints, on good quality card. I'm glad I kept them.

Comment

One thing that's neat about the art in the OP is that all the people shown maintain the correct orientation relative to the gravity and orientation of whatever space they are walking away from even as they cross into areas that seem to have different orientations. Their physics remain tied to the area they are coming from.
                "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                  There's a book about, among other things, AI and the Turing Test called Godel Escher Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by a chap called Hofstadter. It was on a lot of people's shelves in the 1980s, and I suspect for the most part I stayed there. I managed to read but it was frequently hard going, and occasionally incomprehensible.
                  Yep, I read it back then. Luckily I had a boyfriend who majored in Physics at the time who could explain the more incomprehensible (to me) stuff.
                  Last edited by luna65; 03-28-2022, 08:14 AM.
                  Rabin-esque
                  rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post

Yep, I read it back then. Luckily I had a boyfriend who majored in Psychics at the time who could explain the more incomprehensible (to me) stuff.
                    Psychics?
                    ​​​​

Comment

LOL - it's early in this part of the world and I can't have caffeine anymore. So my discourse is bound to suffer in the AM.
                      Rabin-esque
                      rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
                        LOL - it's early in this part of the world and I can't have caffeine anymore. So my discourse is bound to suffer in the AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X