Have to ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
    I have to ask. Not intending to me an ass. Why was there no attempt to make this site look a bit diff then Yesfans? All the main forums are named the same somewhat in the same order. Subforums while our on the main page are about the same, again in the same order in many cases. It seems like that you kid that took another's paper and just lifted everything from it and turned it in as their own.
    Lame comparisson from where I sit. John isn't trying to make money from or getting a good grade for his work. He's giving more than he's receiving to maintain a forum like this (you of all people should know this). And ofcourse if you're going to appeal to a certain demographic then you make it as comfortable for them as possible. You did a great job Tim for 20 years and I'm absloutely grateful for that, but this thread/post is both lame and completely unnecessary, at least if you're (still) completely comfortable with the decision you've taken to end the old Yesfans.

Comment

That search thing you mention is a Vbulletin option (in the version I was running) you could set. Not a flaw.
      Haha

I can tell you from a user experience that 30 sec wait for as annoying as hell. Like many people here, I was quite sad to see YesFans stop, because it has given me and us all a lot of enjoyment.

So I was delighted when John took the time and money to set up a new site.

And there is another adage that is relevant : it is ain’t broke, no need to fix it …..

Comment

The time limit on searches was a suggestion by Vbulletin. Sites with high traffic, member or visitor, lots of searches at a given time was not optimal.

Comment

Many houses have similar rooms and features, but it is the people in the house who make it a home.
          “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
            I'm not John (who I'm assume you're asking) so I'll just answer from my perspective.

-1- Since the site has an updated version of the host, it does look different.
            -2- The similarities are meant to appeal to the people who came here from YF and would actually like the comm to be at least a somewhat similar experience with the elements arranged and named similar to YF. Since YF no longer exists.

But also, I think John has made every effort to be gracious and grateful to you, as have many of us, for your achievement with the community. You have the right to say what you will, but I don't think it's a fair criticism.
            Agree. I was new to the old site. Got in late to the game and appreciated the old site and now the new one. No misgivings here, each one its own entity. I agree that John has made every effort to be a gracious new host.

Comment

And another thing...if you're just talking to John, why post a public thread? Why not just PM him with your concerns rather than make him grovel for your forgiveness in front of all of us? Does that make you feel good? Because none of us would have ever made the same comments. Nobody is confused, nobody thinks this is Yesfans. We appreciate that he took the time and effort to do this for all of us and I don't like seeing him treated this way, he doesn't deserve it.
              Rabin-esque
              my labor of love (and obsessive research)
              rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
                And another thing...if you're just talking to John, why post a public thread? Why not just PM him with your concerns rather than make him grovel for your forgiveness in front of all of us? Does that make you feel good? Because none of us would have ever made the same comments. Nobody is confused, nobody thinks this is Yesfans. We appreciate that he took the time and effort to do this for all of us and I don't like seeing him treated this way, he doesn't deserve it.
                That’s the most ‘liked’ post I’ve seen and I’m not surprised (I had to add to the total myself).

I think our new host is doing a great job. It’s also credit to him his response on this thread has been so diplomatic and self-effacing.

At risk of sounding ungrateful to Tim, I prefer the new site. These things are to some degree shaped by the sensibility behind them. I think John’s is sound - I don’t brown-nose, I’m just happy the way the site has shaped up and I have no serious niggles.

I’m no-one’s Dr Pangloss.
                Last edited by Chris2210; 03-19-2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Amusing.

If I were to set up an EVEN NEWER YESFANS community (which I have NO intention of doing), I'm pretty sure that it would be laid out similar to BOTH Yesfans and New Yesfans, or would eventually have many, many similarities.

I'd want forums for the albums, for the band members (past and present), for the side projects, etc.

Frankly, John set it up on a whirlwind schedule (when Tim announced he was going to kill off the Yesfans site, and that he was not going to consider letting someone else run it, transfer it to someone else, or even to have the data transferred), and, as I recall, John started with a different software setup, which was abandoned when it became clear that there was a better method.

Comment

I've just trademarked thenewyesfans.com. I will consider selling the name to John and/or the community for $1,000,000,000,000 Mickey Mouse Crypto ( I've trademarked that as well :-) ).

Thank you, Tim, for many, many good years, and getting folks together over initially a band, and a bunch of strange musicians.

Running and managing the old site, was expensive, and frankly a pain in the arse at times. Thank you, again, for keeping it going, as long as you did. I have friends and experiences that will last until my dying breath because of you, and your site. People will continue to drop like flies, but the joy of posting and getting together made even some of the most sticks in the mud smile. Traveling to meet and hang out with others; PRICELESS! No body quite understands another YES-fan, like, well, another YES-fan. As someone who has zero problem meeting and talking with complete strangers, YES-fans.com was really a pleasant surprise. There were a ton of folks who left the old site for one reason or another. Nothing lasts forever. Life is short. Joy and true happiness are even shorter. Embrace the positive, every single day.

And thank you, John, for, well, keeping this community of everybody else is strange, except for me ;-), going. You make me happy, too. :-)

But, but, I must say, something is missing. This type of thing never lasts forever. There are more pressing needs in this world. However, I would love for folks to reach out to some of the unseen, here, regulars, and invite them back "home", here.
                    ​​​​​​
                    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

I’m no-one’s Dr Pangloss.

I like the fact, that each day I have to Google a word or idea. Now I know that "all is for the best in this best of all possible worlds."

Sanguine? Cock-eyed optimism?

And that Voltaire wrote a satirical novel called Candide.

As you were.

Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 03-19-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

it's familiar and easy to navigate, Old saying.. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Goodness! Why in the world would this individual even make a comment like this? Sounds to me like sour grapes and a bruised ego. This new owner has gone to great lengths to keep the flame going after the old site died a horrible death. The new owner deserves a few cheers! And what did this person accomplish? It appears the new man has felt it necessary to remove Malcom's and Nightliner's name from 2 forums as a result of this man's ego bruised post. The forums named after these 2 disceased past Yesfans were a nice remembrance of the two.

Shame on the old Yesfans owner!

Comment

I have to ask. Not intending to me an ass. Why was there no attempt to make this site look a bit diff then Yesfans? All the main forums are named the same somewhat in the same order. Subforums while our on the main page are about the same, again in the same order in many cases. It seems like that you kid that took another's paper and just lifted everything from it and turned it in as their own.
                            And you, sir, sound like someone who walked out of a relationship and hate it she's dating someone else now.

Comment

I really liked the old site and was devastated when I heard we were going to lose it.
                              Then this site was established and I was so grateful indeed.

So, it's a big thank you for the old site and this new site from me!
                              "All that dies dies for a reason - To put its strength into the season."

Comment

Originally posted by PhaseDance View Post
                                The same audience is looking for the same functionality to have discussions with the same group of people as a site that no longer exists. These people know it's a different site. These people aren't idiots. There is no claim here that this site has been around for twenty years. It's disingenuous for you to suggest otherwise or to suggest that anyone else is confused.

You ceased maintaining the other site AND didn't allow another party to support it, so John jumped in to serve that clientele. Any glitches in the initial setup regarding logos, etc. have been promptly remedied by John.

You're welcome to resurrect your site if you want, but you can't have it both ways. Was your goal for the community to die when you killed the site and are upset that it continues elsewhere with a new name? If you want to have a say in how a site looks, restart Yesfans.
                                Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Working...
                                X