Have to ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to ask?

I have to ask. Not intending to me an ass. Why was there no attempt to make this site look a bit diff then Yesfans? All the main forums are named the same somewhat in the same order. Subforums while our on the main page are about the same, again in the same order in many cases. It seems like that you kid that took another's paper and just lifted everything from it and turned it in as their own.

I'm not John (who I'm assume you're asking) so I'll just answer from my perspective.

-1- Since the site has an updated version of the host, it does look different.
    -2- The similarities are meant to appeal to the people who came here from YF and would actually like the comm to be at least a somewhat similar experience with the elements arranged and named similar to YF. Since YF no longer exists.

But also, I think John has made every effort to be gracious and grateful to you, as have many of us, for your achievement with the community. You have the right to say what you will, but I don't think it's a fair criticism.
    Last edited by luna65; 03-18-2022, 01:23 PM.
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

If someone came along and did not know what took place and thought this was Yesfans they would think it just had a mild refresh. Heck I had to ask that my site logo be taken down when this was put up. I understand the effort to keep the flame going but I just don't quite see it your way.

Comment

Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
        If someone came along and did not know what took place and thought this was Yesfans they would think it just had a mild refresh. Heck I had to ask that my site logo be taken down when this was put up. I understand the effort to keep the flame going but I just don't quite see it your way.
        Ever heard “ copying is the highest form of flattery” and of course all the users have kept the same log in names which is cool.

Not everything is the same though : no error message if you repeat a search within a 30 second period 😁

Comment

That search thing you mention is a Vbulletin option (in the version I was running) you could set. Not a flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
            If someone came along and did not know what took place and thought this was Yesfans they would think it just had a mild refresh.
            But the difference is - if they had been a member of YF - they wouldn't be able to login with their old username/password because this is a different site with a different URL. So I don't honestly get how someone could make that assumption. People have actually said, "Hey, I went back to YF and it's not there anymore so I came here," meaning they are fully aware this is not YF.

And also: message board architecture displays similarities across platforms. So you can look at message boards from vBulletin, Tapatalk, Invision, ProBoards, et al. and there are familiar aspects in all of them.
            Last edited by luna65; 03-18-2022, 01:06 PM.
            Rabin-esque
            my labor of love (and obsessive research)
            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

The same audience is looking for the same functionality to have discussions with the same group of people as a site that no longer exists. These people know it's a different site. These people aren't idiots. There is no claim here that this site has been around for twenty years. It's disingenuous for you to suggest otherwise or to suggest that anyone else is confused.

You ceased maintaining the other site AND didn't allow another party to support it, so John jumped in to serve that clientele. Any glitches in the initial setup regarding logos, etc. have been promptly remedied by John.

You're welcome to resurrect your site if you want, but you can't have it both ways. Was your goal for the community to die when you killed the site and are upset that it continues elsewhere with a new name? If you want to have a say in how a site looks, restart Yesfans.

Comment

John created this site to serve the desire of all of us former Yesfans participants to continue to discuss Yes related news, and other topics. He made it very user friendly, and it serves us well. Thank you for providing us with a forum to discuss these topics for many years. Thanks to John for providing this service since you decided to shut down your site. He has done a fantastic job.

Comment

It's a standard forum board.

I think John's doing a great job.

I'll not comment on your post...

Comment

Hello Tim, I'm really sorry you feel this way, again it was not my intention

To be honest I wanted to honor the old yesfans and I apologize again to you for the logo issue,

I didn't know it was a logo I thought it's just the Roger Dean font

I am up for making changes, do you have any suggestions, which parts do you think are too similar, I will rename them

Overall I think there are some differences but there will still have to be a member section, a tour section, cds section and other bands section

Also if you go to other music sites there seems to be pretty much a standard layout

I kept the names Nightliner and Malcom to honor the legacy as they were both nice to me years ago, it wasn't meant to copy the old yesfans

Also I am new to the software so I did my best to understand it but there's still things to figure out

If you're up for it, try to work with me and we'll evolve the site to something you are comfortable with
                    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

Made a few changes in the channel names and order, hope they will help
                      "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

1YesFan - I am so thankful for the original Yesfans site. It was so pleasant for me that, when I learned there would be a "new" Yesfans site, I hoped that the new site would be very similar to the site I was familiar with. I hadn't thought about it from your perspective, until now, but I hope you will take it as a point of praise for your work that I am very happy that the new site reminds me every day of the old site. And thank you John for your work to make a place available for the many fans of the original site to connect.
                        Perhaps the current version is a nice starting place for us to begin and it will change over time.

Comment

John has done a great service keeping the flame alive. I haven’t been here as much as I was on the old site but have been enjoying it.

For what it is worth, I feel like this site is a lot different in how it looks. It’s a different web domain. The old Yesfans was around for a long time but Tim decided to end it. At that point it was fair game for someone to fill the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by PhaseDance View Post
                            The same audience is looking for the same functionality to have discussions with the same group of people as a site that no longer exists. These people know it's a different site. These people aren't idiots. There is no claim here that this site has been around for twenty years. It's disingenuous for you to suggest otherwise or to suggest that anyone else is confused.

You ceased maintaining the other site AND didn't allow another party to support it, so John jumped in to serve that clientele. Any glitches in the initial setup regarding logos, etc. have been promptly remedied by John.

You're welcome to resurrect your site if you want, but you can't have it both ways. Was your goal for the community to die when you killed the site and are upset that it continues elsewhere with a new name? If you want to have a say in how a site looks, restart Yesfans.
                            This is where I stand as well.

Comment

Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post
                              Hello Tim, I'm really sorry you feel this way, again it was not my intention

To be honest I wanted to honor the old yesfans and I apologize again to you for the logo issue,

I didn't know it was a logo I thought it's just the Roger Dean font

I am up for making changes, do you have any suggestions, which parts do you think are too similar, I will rename them

Overall I think there is some differences but there will still have to be a member section, a tour section, cds section and other bands section

Also if you go to other music sites there seems to be pretty much a standard layout

I kept the name Nightliner and Malcom to honor the legacy as they were both nice to me years ago, it wasn't meant to copy the old yesfans

Also I am new to the software so I did my best to understand it but there's still things to figure out

If you're up for it, try to work with me and we'll evolve the site to something you are comfortable with
                              You're doing a fantastic job John, don't worry about it. You do not need to defend yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X