Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Yesfans.com to end the run later this year!

Yesfans.com to end the run later this year!

Hello all

No real easy way to put this but to come straight out and announce that Yesfans.com will close in the coming months.
    This site in the current form has been around since 4/2001. Before that dating back to 1998 in various mailing list and Yahoo groups. So I have had 20 years of a lot of blood sweat and tears poured into this site with countless hours getting it up and going and keeping going. We have seen great times of large membership and folks traveling the world to meet new Yesfans. I will always be happy to know that this site brought so many people together. I will be happy to know that so many have carried on in being friends as a direct result of this site.
    Yesfans through the years has had the support of so many GREAT people. I will never forget you all. To all the West coast people that were here, Smatt getting me my first back stage tickets through Scottie (wow she made a great first impression :) ) to the East coast folks like Marge putting on yearly East coast gatherings, to Diane helping put together the 10th annv party in Nashville. I know I am leaving out a TON of folks but I do not want to go on and on. I do want to thank Scottie and the great late Chris Squire for being the friends you were, that was something I NEVER EVER expected from a site I started simply to get info on the band.
    Now on with the bad. With all that said all rides must come to an end. The site has managed for 18 years now but like most things YES is winding down (IMO), the site turning into crap slinging, bickering, divisiveness etc. I am no predictor of the future but I feel that with the many factors I see this site is quickly becoming a non factor in the YESWORLD. To be blunt, since Chris passing for me and many others that the changes have been too much and the ride is coming to a end, many it ended when Chris passed. I will not get into the debates of the bickering which has caused way to much ache for many, prob some in the band also. I can no longer in good faith continue this vehicle to that end.
    Other factors in this decision is the fact that FB is taking over the world, ha ha ha. This site is left with a small handful of members at best. I am one that feels it is better to go out on a good breeze then to go out with a fizzle.
    I will say that funding of the site through the last years has been an issue also. I never took money from anyone but fans willing to donate but that has came to a trickle in the last years but for a few, 2 people to be exact. Two times Chris and Scottie offered to cover it and I turned it down because I never wanted the band have say in what is posted here and that never happened. While I have had good folks donating through the years over the 18 years it has been me paying the way with great honor but with the direction the site is headed, FB, other factors it is just time to realize when the time is up.
    At this point I do not foresee the site changing hands, years ago I offered it to YESWORLD and was offered like 100 bucks for the domain name, nothing more so that writing was on the wall.
    Thanks again for everything, thanks to all the staff folks that helped me run the site through the years, you were important to the process.
    Thanks to all the membership that stuck around at diff times and made the site what it peaked out to be at diff times.
    At this point in the coming months the site will close (Nov?). Fee free to contact me at 1yesfanyes@gmail.com if you feel so. DO NOT use the contact us link on this site.

Love you all

Tim/1yesfan
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar

Re: Yesfans.com to end the run later this year!

So only the Russians will be there?
    Faux Speechless.

No collusion happening here.

But I've seen this more than that episode of Star Trek TOS where the crew become gangsters.

Look! It's Mel!
    Faux Speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    No collusion happening here.
    And not funny. I'd rather die violently first than give my life to that stupid site.

May happen anyway. I'm not exactly in that good of shape.
    Faux Speechless.

I know you’re not kidding this time Tim. It’s totally understandable and you’ve had a thankless job running this site. Thank you for all of your effort and passion. This place will be missed.

I've seen this before. This site will be sold to somebody here. If it's tough it was because Tim has let us be us.
    Faux Speechless.

Well sh!t.

I don't and won't do Facebook. I'm gutted...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    If it's tough it was because Tim has let us be us.
    Great way to put that small aspect of the pie into perspective.

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Life goes on. Thanks for all you've done, Tim. Not an easy job, for sure.
    Possessio is nine-tenths of the word.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    Well sh!t.

I also don't do Twitter, Instagram or any other such stuff.

I remember folks did mention another site with Yes fans (and Yesfans) on it when this one was closing a couple of years ago. Can't remember what it was called...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    Great way to put that small aspect of the pie into perspective.
    And I've seen sites that were sold to other interested parties as well, those that were larger...and I've seen sites that had their databases fail and never really recovered, sites where the owner just left it abandoned and others had to break in and start over, Usenet groups take over by trolls, in 21 years you came name it and I've probably seen it.

My sister's MS diagnosis looms larger than a ragtag fleet of actual personalties being such.

The site is yours but the site is not just you.
    Faux Speechless.

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

I'll echo in with another Oh Sh!t. I'll have to organize my thoughts about this later. Real life always takes precedence, but I'll miss this place, the good and the bad and the silly.

It's inevitable, FaceBorg will devour everything, until the next big thing comes along.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

I'm hoping Facebook just dies. It's evil incarnate disguised as a website.
    Faux Speechless.

And I've given you some of the best years I've had left. Don't commit suicide in front of me.
    Faux Speechless.

This is at least the third time the end of the site has been announced publicly. The first two times, it didn't close. Hopefully the third time isn't the charm, and it stays open again.

F--- Facebook.

Someone step in and save this place already.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Well sh!t.

Well it's not April 1st.... I guess I must look at this thread in another way....

Facebook sucks, I have seen people loose as many friends as they created... and like being lost in the worlds largest mall, that cozy feeling of being in a little store like Yesfans is a refuge, in a sea of 1001001001001001001 way of life.

It's impossible to get the "community" feel on Facebook that you can get on a site designed like this, Facebook has become a sea of data lost in a ongoing storm of discombobulated information and fans... each on there own personal soap box of there version of what a "Yesfans" site should be... loosing all those family ties that were created here.... facebook has made more and more single individuals get in there little row boats, and sail out into the topographic oceans completely alone, with a stormy sky in the distance, and no way to go back to shore. With so many Yesfans drifting aimlessly, it's just about impossible for a group of fans to gather like they did on this site. From what I know, the most popular of Yesfans on Facebook can't hold a candle to the comradery they were a part of and helped create on this site.... sadly when Anderson left is when things started to change, and emotions ran high... regardless what a tall tale this site has to tell... and of course in my eyes, should keep going because of it's amazing amount of information in regards to everything Yes.

Facebook in my eyes is going down hill, they are cherry picking who's posts go where, new rules and regulations, and i feel the over all vibe for the future does not look good for them... no better time for a site like this to go to :)

I hope somehow Yesfans moves forwards into the future... Yes and this site to me is like a orchestra... people come and go, but the music will always keep playing... and the commentary will continue to be written... is my hope.

still undefined

Tim,

Do you have any statistics you can share with us like the total number of page hits this site gets per month, how much bandwidth it uses per month, how much server space it requires, etc.?

Those type of statistics might either:

A. Allow a perspective buyer to come forward and take over the expense and operation of the site for you, while perhaps making you a little bit of money for the sale of the domain, user database, etc..

or

B. Allow people to suggest possible solutions that would allow you to continue owning and running the site at a lower cost per month.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

I just wanted throw a few suggestions out there.

These are just ideas. I understand that they may not be viable or may need more development:

1. Have you looked into whether or not there are cheaper hosting services out there that could still meet the site's needs?

If you don't mind sharing your bandwidth requirements and what you pay now, we could all scour the web to see if we can find a hosting solution that might save you some money and allow you to continue longer.

2. Do you know anyone who owns their own business and has excess physical servers and capacity that they could let you use free or on the cheap?

3. I notice you use pay to license vbulletin software for the site. Have you thought about their "cloud" options that seems to roll web hosting and software licensing up into one monthly fee?

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud/

I don't know if this would more or less expensive than what you're doing now. Hopefully less. That's the only reason I mentioned it. What you're doing now is better than that from a user perspective. But if that would save you enough money to keep the site going, it might be worth trying! Better than shutting down IMO. Also, I think they handle more of the technical end of it if you put it in their cloud, so it might take some of the burden of running the place off your back.

If money were no object, I'd say try:

https://xenforo.com/

Xenoforum is probably the best software out there these days, but it's probably more expensive than the licensing for vbulletin is, and you'd still have to pay server costs and handle the tech stuff yourself.

4. If you are paying vbulletin for an ongoing license, what about switching to phpBB? phpBB doesn't have all the bells and whistles of vbulletin or xenoforum, but it makes itself available free of charge and is part of the open-source software movement. No licensing fees! Granted, phpBB isn't that great, but it's free! Then you only need to deal with server costs and the technical end of things. Also, people might all need to sign up again- I am not sure if you can transfer everyone over automatically.

5. What about setting threads that haven't had a new post added to them or a new vote in their poll to auto-delete? That might save you space on the server.

6. Would cutting out the political area completely save you a lot of bandwidth and, by extension, money? I know some people dig it, and if cost were no object, I'd say let them continue to have their fun, *but* if we could keep the site opening by narrowing the focus to Yes and music in general, it might be worth deleting the political area.

7. While I an normally not a fan of paid memberships to things (Mainly because I can't afford them), maybe you could have two membership tiers. You can could make it so everyone can continue to signup and post for free, but if they want a custom avatar, an ad-free membership experience, and a "site supporter" membership badge, it'll cost them $5 a month or whatever. Maybe if they pay for a year in advance ($60), they get a free yesfans t-shirt or coffee mug.

In case anyone wants to buy, what would you bottom line cost be for the domain site and the database. Would you sell for less for someone who planned to continue the forum as it is versus just redirecting the domain to something else?

9. These days, personal computers are pretty powerful and you might be able to operate one as a server instead of using a hosting service. However, if you literally run it out of your home, your ISP would probably shut it down because you'd be using too much bandwidth and running what they'd see as a commercial venture while only paying for home and not business class Internet. Still, maybe you could call them and ask if switching to business Internet would allow you to run a server from home, and how much extra it would cost.

Sorry for the length. You don't have to answer any of these questions.

I just figured I'd throw some ideas at you to see if any of them might be helpful.

Plus, if this is one of our last threads, it's only fitting that I get in at least one novel-sized post.

Well sh!t.

Yup, that pretty much covers it for me as well.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast