Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Kerzner Yes Tribute album

Dave Kerzner Yes Tribute album

Thanks to Henry:

Dave Kerzner is working on a Yes tribute album, to be mixed mid-Sep 2018 and due later in the year, co-produced by himself and Fernando Perdomo (In Continuum, worked with Mika). Kerzner performs keys (including a Hohner Claviola), with guests including Tony Kaye, Geoff Downes, Billy Sherwood, Jon Davison, Jay Schellen, Johnny Bruhns (ex-CIRCA:, ex-Yoso, ex-Yes tribute band Roundabout; guitar), Robert Berry (ex-3, worked with Steve Howe), Francis Dunnery (vocals), Dave Bainbridge (Iona, The Strawbs, Celestial Fire), Sally Minnear (Kerry Minnear's daugther; Celestial Fire), Marco Minnemann (In Continuum, worked with Tony Levin, Eddie Jobson; drums), Nick D'Virgilio (Pulse, In Continuum, ex-Spock's Beard, ex-Genesis; vocals), Robin Schell (vocals), District 97, Dennis Atlas (Bad Dreams; vocals), Joe Cass (Total Mass Retain Yes tribute band; drums), Derek Cintron (Dave Kerzner Band; drums), and Pat Sansone. Tracks include:

"Machine Messiah" with Downes (keys), Kerzner (keys), D'Virgilio (vocals), Randy McStine (The Fringe, In Continuum; vocals), Perdomo (guitar, bass), Bruhns (guitar), Cass (drums)
    "Changes" (sample here) with Hal Rosenfeld (marimba)
    an acoustic medley with Davison (vocals), Kerzner (harmonium), Perdomo, Bruhns, Bainbridge, Minnear
    "The Fish" (sample here), described as a bonus track, with Sherwood (bass), Kerzner (keys), Perdomo (guitar), Cintron (drums)
    "Starship Trooper: Würm", described as a bonus track

Downes, Sherwood and Davison were reportedly in Florida at the end of Aug 2018 for work on the album. There were sessions for the album in early Sep with Atlas, Bruhns, Cass, Cintron, D'Virgilio, Dunnery, Minnemann and Schell.

http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm#cstrib
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Re: Dave Kerzner Yes Tribute album

Sounds cool. Thanks for sharing!

Mega Insane Yesfan

With the obvious exception of the actual Yes personnel, I have never heard of anyone connected with this pointless recording.

I will likely pick this up maybe I don’t know I am getting tired of Tribute albums

You know a good way yes members can pay tribute to Chris put out new music that is Yes worthy!!!!

As Scotland herself once told me “don’t let people get you down about wanting a new Yes album heck Chris Squire is always more excited then you about the next one”

So yeah
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

I think Robert Berry’s take on “Roundabout” and “Astral Traveller,” the latter with Peter Banks as the lead performer and both from Tales from Yesterday (1995), were fantastic—so I was glad to see his name among those involved.

I agree that it definitely seems strange that a “Yes tribute album” like the Kerzner project would feature several actual members of Yes—just as strange as when Howe, Moraz, and Banks appeared on a total of four of the thirteen Tales from Yesterday tracks (not to mention two more tracks, one by Adam Wakeman’s band and another by World Trade, i.e., Sherwood and Schellen).

btw, imo, Tales from Yesterday wasn’t that great outside of the two Berry-related songs. I appreciated “Siberian Khatru,” by an ad hoc group including Nick D’Vigilio (also on the Kerzner album), for its faithfulness to the original before breaking into a Bruford piece at the end, and I really liked what Magellan tried to do in making “Don’t Kill the Whale” a medley of Yes styles.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by pat 2 View Post
    btw, imo, Tales from Yesterday wasn’t that great outside of the two Berry-related songs. I appreciated “Siberian Khatru,” by an ad hoc group including Nick D’Vigilio (also on the Kerzner album), for its faithfulness to the original before breaking into a Bruford piece at the end, and I really liked what Magellan tried to do in making “Don’t Kill the Whale” a medley of Yes styles.
    I thought Tales from Yesterday was great, apart from the Adam Wakeman track. "Siberian Khatru", "Turn of the Century" and "Astral Traveler" are highlights, but also good stuff with "Don't Kill the Whale", "Soon", "Changes" &c.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Awww - what have you got against poor Ads and Damo, my dear?
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    With the obvious exception of the actual Yes personnel, I have never heard of anyone connected with this pointless recording.
    Not even Johnny Bruhns, Robert Berry, Francis Dunnery or Nick D'Virgilio ?
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

I thought Francis was a prog institution in the UK!
    - Mr. Poms

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

How could this version of Machine Messiah be on a Yes tribute album if Downes was on the original?

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    Not even Johnny Bruhns, Robert Berry, Francis Dunnery or Nick D'Virgilio ?
    Francis Dunnery was in It Bites? I had a 4CD of their albums I bought on a whim. I listened to maybe half of it and gave it to a mate at work. Awful stuff.
    The other names I don't know at all. I really don't listen to anything calling itself 'prog' these days anymore. Unless it's from Scandinavia.......

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    How could this version of Machine Messiah be on a Yes tribute album if Downes was on the original?
    It's getting a bit hard to distinguish between "tribute" and "continuity" acts with so much mixing and matching of personnel. It seems like "Yes" might gradually be dissolving into a large pool of musicians who have been in and out of different line ups or associated with related projects and who get together in various permutations to perform or record works from the decades long legacy of great music.
    Universe University

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
    It's getting a bit hard to distinguish between "tribute" and "continuity" acts with so much mixing and matching of personnel. It seems like "Yes" might gradually be dissolving into a large pool of musicians who have been in and out of different line ups or associated with related projects and who get together in various permutations to perform or record works from the decades long legacy of great music.
    If Downes plays Machine Messiah on a tribute album to Yes, how would one classify this song when there are no band members on stage who were on the studio version? By the way, it was the best version of this song that I have seen live.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
    I quite like the idea of an eventual big, dissolved Yes - as long as parts of it still come together sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Francis Dunnery was in It Bites? I had a 4CD of their albums I bought on a whim. I listened to maybe half of it and gave it to a mate at work. Awful stuff.
    The other names I don't know at all. I really don't listen to anything calling itself 'prog' these days anymore. Unless it's from Scandinavia.......
    Yes, I saw It Bites in 1986 - they were horrible ! At least I was working and got paid for my troubles. Dunnery is a pretty good player though - played with Rob Plant, Santana and ABWH I believe.

Johnny Bruhns was the guitarist with Circa and Yoso and is fantastic. Robert Berry was Steve Hackett's replacement in GTR and Nick Di Virgilio is brilliant and was in Spock's Beard amongst others.

I'm as in the dark as you about the rest...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    I quite like the idea of an eventual big, dissolved Yes - as long as parts of it still come together sometimes.
    Like a trash vortex?
    (Okay, I'm kind of sorry about that one.)
    - Mr. Poms

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    Robert Berry was Steve Hackett's replacement in GTR and Nick Di Virgilio is brilliant and was in Spock's Beard amongst others.
    Berry was also in 3 with Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer. D'Virgilio drummed on the last Genesis album, Calling All Stations. He's also played in Mystery (after David IIRC).

Of the other players, I would have thought people would recognise Dave Bainbridge of Iona and The Strawbs. He now has a band, Celestial Fire, who have covered "Roundabout" and "Soon". Also in Celestial Fire is Sally Minnear, daughter of Gentle Giant's Kerry Minnear. Marco Minnemann is everywhere these days: he's worked with Tony Levin, he's played with Eddie Jobson/UK reunion, he's been in Steven Wilson's band, and he's now in The Sea Within with Tom Brislin. District 97 are a young US prog band, who did a tour/live album of King Crimson songs with John Wetton and have been praised by Bill Bruford. Their lead singer was on American Idol a few years back.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Me too. A pool of musicians coalescing to make music, sometimes as Yes. Something similar happens with Flower Kings, Karmakanic, Transatlantic etc.

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Like a trash vortex?
    (Okay, I'm kind of sorry about that one.)
    That has rather changed my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Marco Minnemann is everywhere these days: he's worked with Tony Levin, he's played with Eddie Jobson/UK reunion, he's been in Steven Wilson's band, and he's now in The Sea Within with Tom Brislin.
    TRU FAX - but I think you'd have to be following prog in general to be aware of that.

That has rather changed my mind...
    I'm sure you meant something far more benign, dear.
    - Mr. Poms

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast