Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes F ARW - Live At The Apollo - repetitive faked "annoying" crowd applause

Elephant sized Yes fan Swordfleece's Avatar

Yes F ARW - Live At The Apollo - repetitive faked "annoying" crowd applause

Hey everyone,

Just watching the new blu-ray.
    Great to have some new "Yes" music played live and the musicianship and mixing is fantastic.
    Really trying to enjoy it....but.....

This repetitive crowd applause! The same sound several times through every song.
    God, it is soooo annoying.
    It's like they are trying to make it sound hip and cool but the audience is mostly made up of people in their 50's and 60's
    and were just sitting silently through each song (they were when I saw them at Edinburgh & Glasgow and find no problem with that). Great reactions at the end of each song

I guess Rabin panicked and thought it looked and sounded lifeless and decided (dumbly) to add this crowd noise.

Fleece

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Re: Yes F ARW - Live At The Apollo - repetitive faked "annoying" crowd applause

Hello and welcome to our ongoing discussion of this matter already in progress.

But I don't know if it was "panic" so much as this is what people do now, instead of doing what they should do to create/enhance ambiance in a mix of a live recording. As others have noted the YesOff release Topographic Drama suffers from the same problem. But also, they're used to noisier audiences back in the day and the absence of that is something they don't want to acknowledge (i.e. a live recording has a certain sound and if it doesn't then you fix it so it does).
    Last edited by luna65; 1 Week Ago at 04:50 PM.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfleece View Post
    Hey everyone,

Just watching the new blu-ray.
    Great to have some new "Yes" music played live and the musicianship and mixing is fantastic.
    Really trying to enjoy it....but.....

This repetitive crowd applause! The same sound several times through every song.
    It's like they are trying to make it sound hip and cool but the audience is mostly made up of people in their 50's and 60's
    and were just sitting silently through each song (they were when I saw them at Edinburgh & Glasgow and find no problem with that). Great reactions at the end of each song

I guess Rabin panicked and thought it looked and sounded lifeless and decided (dumbly) to add this crowd noise.

Fleece
    I agree. Pretty annoying and unnecessary. Maybe it was a way to Billy involved in the project.

On my gosh, you guys are right. I've been pleasantly listening to the first few songs, but now the noise is really noticeable, almost like you're floating on a raft as high tide rolls in. (at least on my crappy wireless speaker) Much more intrusive than Topographic Drama. Will see what it sounds like in my car tomorrow. Still, the music is outstanding.

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

It reminds me of a laugh track on a bad 70s sitcom.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

Okay so I plan to include this in my usual analytical analysis review type thingie on the blog but...compare, if you will, Good People of the Yesternet.

"Roundabout"

Audience video:
    https://youtu.be/r0eInykxjto

Official video:
    https://youtu.be/XEg3cFGNSq8

IMO there's nothing wrong with the ambiance on the audience recording.

And this is not to say the mix itself isn't fabulous because it is, so far I've enjoyed every song just in terms of how discrete all the elements are within the mix and that is wonderful. But it's that other thing...
    Last edited by luna65; 1 Week Ago at 05:42 PM.
    - Mr. Poms

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    It reminds me of a laugh track on a bad 70s sitcom.
    Those were funny, but some shows (like the odd couple) were filmed before a live audience (with a little post sweetening I guess) and sounded much better. I think the Norman Lear shows were live audiences as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Progresssive fragressive! Frankly my dear I don't give a damn about progressive."
    — Lady Camphire, August 4, 2015

Yesfan

On ISAGP, the crowd noise inserted after "she hasn't got time to make you a wife" is especially jarring to me. It sounds like a crowd in a huge arena, not a theater. And who spontaneously cheers after that line anyway? Overall, though, I'm enjoying the CD.

Stop talking about crowd noise, I don't have my copy yet. It will be the first thing I listen for. ha ha ha
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar

THIS is fake crowd noise...

Well, I'm told it is actual Elton John crowd sounds from other concerts but the song was recorded in the French chateau (known as 'Honky Chateau')...
    Last edited by Discount Ministry; 1 Week Ago at 09:40 PM.
    Faux Speechless.

...and yet it sounds more real than anything on Live At The Apollo.
    - Mr. Poms

This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar

But of course! Everyone knows the Apollo Theater is in Harlem, next to Red Lobster.
    Faux Speechless.

JR Yesfan

Terrible! I haven't opened my vinyl copy yet, maybe I'll return it

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfleece View Post

It's like they are trying to make it sound hip and cool...
    They should have digitally put images of bras being thrown on stage.

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    But of course! Everyone knows the Apollo Theater is in Harlem, next to Red Lobster.
    changing the post... well... i know NYC well... not sure about good sushi up town.

now 8th street in the village is another story.

I will not bring up china town or little Italy... i don't want to freak anyone out...
    Last edited by crotale2112; 1 Week Ago at 11:46 PM.

still undefined

It's just a really bad choice. I will say as a Rush fan, I have heard this "effect" on their live albums as well. Just not nearly as bad. I mean give me a freaking break. Someone should have their production license revoked for this nonsense. Maybe one day they will realize their mistake and re-issue the album sans-crowd noise (the corrected version).

And I haven't seen the section with Lee's solo, but if they didn't give it proper credit, shame on them.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    one of the very few Red Lobsters that sells grits and collard greens and lots of grape soda.... I wonder if Wakeman indulged ?
    Sounds pretty racist to me.

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Sounds pretty racist to me.
    I'm far from it... and many would find it not so racist, we ALL have something about our history and past that is funny... and it's what makes us all different and special... good god, I have french,english and black foot in me... talk about being able to mock, at least I don't wear a annoying french beret with a feather in it.... but I still might have that horse teeth english thing... not good for me to smile, my teeth look like chicklets... as for my post you were talking about..

maybe watching to much old Fred Sanford tapes... wow... if anything, go on a all black comedy station on XM radio... major racist stuff going on big time, truly nasty stuff...far from basic stereotyping that's for sure.

back in the day, my quote was far far from racist... far from it, and back then more people got along in my eyes, not like today.... in my area, there was much more harmony back in the 70's and 80's... but that's just from my view, and where I live and the past I know... and as a kid and being white, grape soda was my #1 favorite, and still is... so much better than cola... although orange soda on a blue moon is great... I'm lucky, I have Moxie soda sent to me in the mail... talk about freaky soda from a freaky place in a freaky state, I go all the time... I can go off big time on "people from Maine"... but that might be to much for you.

I will change it if it makes you happy....
    Last edited by crotale2112; 1 Week Ago at 11:57 PM.

still undefined

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrauman View Post
    It's just a really bad choice. I will say as a Rush fan, I have heard this "effect" on their live albums as well. Just not nearly as bad. I mean give me a freaking break. Someone should have their production license revoked for this nonsense. Maybe one day they will realize their mistake and re-issue the album sans-crowd noise (the corrected version).
    But of course they will, and then we'll all be lemmings and buy it again, like I dutifully bought the 9012Live that gave me the option of passing on those wonderful Charlex *cough* "effects".
    Possessio is nine-tenths of the word.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by jrauman View Post

I will say as a Rush fan, I have heard this "effect" on their live albums as well. Just not nearly as bad. I mean give me a freaking break.
    back on topic.... I have not heard this recording yet.... is this Apollo really that bad? They should have jumped the shark and put in a bunch of 16 year old girls screaming and crying from being overwhelmed by Wakeman's pants under that cape.

Maybe it wasn't Trevor with the crowd mix before finalizing.... ??? did he mix this show totally on his own?

still undefined

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast