Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flashback to Buggles joining Yes

Flashback to Buggles joining Yes

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ensues-707662/
    Recent Rolling Stone article.. gotta love the photo..

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: Flashback to Buggles joining Yes

Yes, they look like Earth Wind & Fire, coming out of their stage UFO!

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

very strange days indeed in the world of Yes... but great music! And a chapter in the mighty book of Yes well worth reading someday... it was all because of that strange man in that white car.

I will say, although it's not as grand as the crab nebula stage... I love the work Roger Dean did for those shows, as seen in the photo, i think it's very cool. Having this stage set mixed with the crab nebula would have been mind blowing, if it ever happened.... maybe someday!

yeah, i know.. keep dreaming... it would take a few trucks and a budget that does not exist.

still undefined

Mega Insane Yesfan

Something I wish I could banish from my memory. A friend told me on the street about Buggles joining Yes when it first happened. I did not like it. At all. Still don't.

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Something I wish I could banish from my memory. A friend told me on the street about Buggles joining Yes when it first happened. I did not like it. At all. Still don't.

At least you got the head's up. I think Yes sold out three shows at MSG in NY on the strength of fans expecting Jon and Rick to be there. But I understand the UK audiences were brutal on Trevor.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    At least someone told you. I had the shock of reading it on the album sleeve! And it was the first Yes album to come out after I became a fan. The stuff of trauma... But I soon got over it. By the second listen I got over it. And if it weren’t for that bloody Black Sabbath intro to Machine Messiah, I would have been over it on the first listen...

Mega Yesfan

The announcement came one Friday night in May 1980 on Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show on Radio 1. For those who don't know, this was a 10pm-midnight rock show that included classic sessions from the BBC archives from many great bands - real rarities from Genesis, Zeppelin, Floyd and so on - listeners' playlists on obscure themes, many many purely great rock music and occasional shows given over to live concert performances. It was Yes infact that kicked off the very first FRS with a broadcast of the October 1978 Wembley Arena concert which had taken place the week before.

So in May 1980 there was a repeat of a Yes session from 1969 including Somethings Coming after which Tommy made the announcement via a Yes Office press release. I was taken completely by surprise. yes had been very quiet in the UK since the end of the Tormatour in October 1978 and there was no real news of anything new other than some veiled references to an album from Steve Howe after his Steve Howe Album came out in November 79.

The announcement referred to a 'stunning and unexpected move' whereby Anderson and Wakeman had been replaced by Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn of The Buggles. Chris Squire said that it would be a return to the older Yes sound from the Yes Album era and it went on to say that the band were already recording a new album and would be on tour later in the year. I think my headphones fell off, and since I was recording the show on cassette because of the Yes session I played it back a couple of times just to make sure.

The next day there was another Radio 1 piece about the news on an afternoon rock show which had interviews with Steve and Geoff talking about the recording of the new album and how exciting it was.

In early August I got hold of a 12" promo copy of Into the Lens from my local record shop and played it to death. I have to say, I really liked it, and when the Drama album hit my turntable, the rumbling bass of Does it Really Happen and the swirling manic beginning of Machine Messiah had me very much hooked.

It's strange looking back how accepting I was of the new lineup, but I'd only been a fan for a few years by that time so probably didn't have the personal history of the band that older fans would have had.

Magical time that one.

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by YESOLA View Post
    But I understand the UK audiences were brutal on Trevor.
    They were indeed, but as has been well-documented, his voice was utterly shot to pieces by the time the band got to home turf. He was booed once or twice, although not much of that comes across from the boot of one of the shows I went to on 16th December.

I'd only seen Yes once before, but it was a big show at Wembley Arena in 1978 - also well-documented - so I was expecting something along the same lines and it didn't happen quite that way.

For a start, the venues were much smaller. Small enough to be able to actually see the band for starters! It was a scaled down lighting rig with the triangular arms from the revolving stage and a few fibreglass rocks lit from inside, and it was a scaled down show too. Much more accessible, a tighter sound, different setlist and more of a feel that it was Chris in charge instead of Jon. There was less keyboard noodling and the new material sounded bang up to date, fresher and really '1980s.' It was definitely more 'rock' than 'prog' to my young ears and I hoped it would work.

Little did we know at the time that it was doomed. Trevor never really wanted the gig and was cajoled into it. Maybe the audience reaction hurt him a bit and maybe he realised he wasn't a lead singer. He looked a bit ill-at-ease with his red-rimmed specs and skinny tie so it was all very very strange.

Yesfan

At least you got the head's up. I think Yes sold out three shows at MSG in NY on the strength of fans expecting Jon and Rick to be there.
    The new lineup was widely advertised and reported before the New York shows.

Alan clearly wins the battle of the bulges
    Universe University

1980 I was 19, always broke, always looking to score a dime bag, full of testosterone and perpetually horny. Sadly, I missed the tour but loved the album even though I didnt want to. Got all my Yes info from local radio and the occasional mag article
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

I was quite alarmed at the thought of a Yes-Buggles hybrid. But actually, it turned out to not really be that alarming after all. I started to like it as soon as I stopped thinking of it as Yes. I later re-assimilated it into my Yes understanding, and for me it now concludes the run of my favourite Yes albums (TYA-Drama).

Quote Originally Posted by MaputoMatt View Post
    The new lineup was widely advertised and reported before the New York shows.

Mike Tiano:
    In Dan Hedges' authorized bio there's a reference to how Yes sold out a record number of shows at Madison Square Garden in NYC on the DRAMA tour. What it didn't say was that the shows sold out BEFORE anyone knew Jon and Rick were gne.
    Fan Recordings
    David Bernstein:
    I was at this show. Someone in my class at high school offered me the tickets. I had no idea Jon and Wake had left the band until a day or two before the show. Anyway, I remember being underwhelmed but had a good time nonetheless. All these years later I remember the comment before Roundabout-"This song means alot to me". My wife always kids me about it saying how can you remember such minutia. Now I can show her this review page to prove that I was right.

So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

Yesfan

Mike Tiano:
    In Dan Hedges' authorized bio there's a reference to how Yes sold out a record number of shows at Madison Square Garden in NYC on the DRAMA tour. What it didn't say was that the shows sold out BEFORE anyone knew Jon and Rick were gone.
    Fan Recordings
    I don't know the date that tickets went on sale but my statement is correct: The new lineup was announced in May. The New York shows were in September.

Quote Originally Posted by MaputoMatt View Post
    I don't know the date that tickets went on sale but my statement is correct: The new lineup was announced in May. The New York shows were in September.
    Yes it would seem this is correct, but they sold the tickets before that.

Dabronks:
    Tickets for this show actually went on sale six months before in March.While studying for final exams in May of my senior year at a Bronx prep school,heard that Jon and Rick had left.Ripped my heart out.I could actually live with no Rick-but no Jon-that could be a fiasco.
    Anyway,went to the show and they actually had the best stage arrival I've ever seen.Curtain went down in the middle of the round stage,and when it came up slowly-they appeared.Not like previous from the side entrance at MSG.My best friend had moved to Florida but heard the radio broadcast and said the crowd sounded loud.
    We were,but with no Jon something was missing.Did love the two songs that never made the album and Horn actually did very well on And You and I.Thought Downes was good considering the circumstances.Chris,Steve,and Alan were a pleasure and on the way home had actually wished they performed as a 3 piece.That would've been something to watch !

Yesfan

Yes it would seem this is correct, but they sold the tickets before that.
    Thanks. As I said, I wasn't aware of the date the tickets went on sale. It was certainly an, um, interesting year to be a Yes fan. (Unfortunately, I didn't join the club until the following year, when my sister bought me a copy of Classic Yes for Christmas.)

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

It was strange enough.... but I think what bothered me most was the fact they were called ... "THE BUGGLES"!

What a hideous name.....

I know you should not judge a book on it's name or cover but still.. Buggles.... please.... it sounds so non prog it's not funny, almost anti-prog... and I understand they were not prog but regardless Buggles for pete's sake... Buggles Buggles... oy..

I knew nothing of the Buggles during that time, it was all Rush, Yes Tull days for me... At the time I recall just hearing someone from a
    band called Buggles was going into Yes freaked me out, and I didn't know anything about them... a one sided view I know but still, having Yes infested with this thing called a buggle didn't sound so good from the start.

Thank goodness the music on Drama is amazing and the vocals are good.... after that, I slightly got into "the art of noise" and that "close to the edit" thing... at least it wasn't called... Buggles...

Does anyone know how they got that name and why for pete's sake.... it's terrible...

I wen't online and found this on Urban Dictionary....

BUGGLE "to juggle balls with your tounge"

uuummmmm.... ok... fit's well with Topographic Oceans and Relayer... yup...
    Last edited by crotale2112; 1 Week Ago at 10:39 PM.

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    It was strange enough.... but I think what bothered me most was the fact they were called ... "THE BUGGLES"!

What a hideous name.....

I know you should not judge a book on it's name or cover but still.. Buggles.... please.... it sounds so non prog it's not funny, almost anti-prog... and I understand they were not prog but regardless Buggles for pete's sake... Buggles Buggles... oy..

I knew nothing of the Buggles during that time, it was all Rush, Yes Tull days for me... At the time I recall just hearing someone from a
    band called Buggles was going into Yes freaked me out, and I didn't know anything about them... a one sided view I know but still, having Yes infested with this thing called a buggle didn't sound so good from the start.

Thank goodness the music on Drama is amazing and the vocals are good.... after that, I slightly got into "the art of noise" and that "close to the edit" thing... at least it wasn't called... Buggles...

Does anyone know how they got that name and why for pete's sake.... it's terrible...

I wen't online and found this on Urban Dictionary....

BUGGLE "to juggle balls with your tounge"

uuummmmm.... ok... fit's well with Topographic Oceans and Relayer... yup...
    It was meant as a play on "The Beatles", which was a pun on "beetles" (they were at one time The Silver Beetles), which in turn was a nod to The Crickets (Buddy Holly's group). John Lennon changed Beetles to Beatles to incorporate the word "beat". It's a pretty awful name too, to be honest, but they made it iconic by becoming so famous, so few people notice how corny it is now. The Buggles just substituted the word "bug".

I was also horrified by the merger with Yes at the time. Video Killed The Radio Star was - and still is - one of my pet hates. But Drama turned out to be far better than that seemed to suggest. I still don't like Buggles stuff for the most part and dislike whenever Yes moves closer to that kind of thing.
    Universe University

Quote Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
    It was meant as a play on "The Beatles", which was a pun on "beetles" (they were at one time The Silver Beetles), which in turn was a nod to The Crickets (Buddy Holly's group). John Lennon changed Beetles to Beatles to incorporate the word "beat". It's a pretty awful name too, to be honest, but they made it iconic by becoming so famous, so few people notice how corny it is now. The Buggles just substituted the word "bug".

I was also horrified by the merger with Yes at the time. Video Killed The Radio Star was - and still is - one of my pet hates. But Drama turned out to be far better than that seemed to suggest. I still don't like Buggles stuff for the most part and dislike whenever Yes moves closer to that kind of thing.
    I remember when it came out. I was 21. All of my non-Yes friends (the ones who thought Anderson "sounded like a girl") really liked 'Drama' because it sounded more contemporary in a sort of heavier and early metal rocking sort of way with a side of pop. To me it had Yes on the cover; Steve Alan and Chris were still there so to me it was a Yes album and I found it easy to accept. The tour never came down under so we only had magazine reviews (and the album) on which to form an opinion. And then it was almost like as soon as we were having to get used to a new Yes they ended.... and re-emerged as something else only a few short years later with 90125. But by then I'd drifted off to listen to Motorhead, The Cure, and other harder Rock so I really missed the whole YesWest phase until a mate came back from London with a prezzy for me. 9012live on VHS.
    -----
    paul
    -----

I drove 2 hours to the OCT 13 show in Louisville KY knowing who was in the band, listening to the new album, and with no ticket in hand.
    At the box office a couple hours before the show I got Row A, Seat 1 for $9.50.
    Row A (and a few others) where added after the round stage was installed and filled in some space between row 1 and the edge of the stage. The steps that the band used to enter the stage where right in front of our feet.
    I loved that show!
    That which you are seeking, is causing you to seek !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast