Google

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Davison Discusses the Next Yes Album, What He'd Like to Sing on Tour, and More

Jon Davison Discusses the Next Yes Album, What He'd Like to Sing on Tour, and More

I think a lot of people will latch on to a lot of different facets of what is said in this interview, but here is the section that got me excited:

Jon Davison: [...] I’m looking forward to working with the guys again in the studio having learned so much from the first time around. I really think the next Yes album is going to be monumental, especially now that Billy Sherwood’s in the fold again. He’s such a creative force and wonderful to collaborate with.

Andy Burns: Are there any songs from the Yes catalogue that you haven’t sung yet that you’d like to sing?

Jon Davison:
    Good question. Well, the first thing that comes to mind is doing the entire Relayer album.

Andy Burns: I’m getting the sense that that is in the cards at some point.

Jon Davison:
    I’d like to bring to the stage all of Tormato and Relayer and make the ‘70s Album Series a complete thing. Beyond that, some of the ‘80s and ‘90s material. There’s a song from the Union album, ‘The More We Live – Let Go’.

Andy Burns: Oh, that’s such a great song! That would be great.

Jon Davison:
    Wouldn’t that be a great live song?

Andy Burns: You should talk to Steve and get him to agree to that (laughs). It’s a beautiful song.

Jon Davison:
    I was a teenager when I was first getting into Yes. Before I discovered the back catalogue, my first exposure to their music was 90125 and Big Generator. I have wonderful memories and sentimental association with those records. The Big Generator tour was the first I ever saw and I’d really love to sing ‘Shoot High, Aim Low’…

Andy Burns: I was just going to say! You do the Jon part, Billy does the Trevor part. That would be killer.

Jon Davison:
    I’m glad you agree. I’ll put in a good word for us (laughs.)

Source: https://biffbampop.com/2018/08/01/ex...avison-of-yes/

I particularly like that Davison has such a high opinion of Sherwood and is having such a good time collaborating with him. Those are two guys who I'd really love to see write and hear perform new Yes music together on a new album- I think that could really be something special. They can't go back into the studio soon enough as far as I'm concerned!

I also like that he likes 90125 and Big Generator (Two of my favorite albums). We kind of knew this, but it's good to hear it repeated and made more explicit. I'd really love to have him perform a number of those songs on a live Yes album someday. I think he's correct in isolating "Shoot High, Aim Low" as a good song to perform, as it would likely go over well with even Yes fans who weren't necessarily big fans of that era of the band's music in general, and I've been advocating that they sing "The More You Live- Let Go" (Which was actually a Union song) ever since they brought Billy Sherwood back into the band (He wrote it and played on it even though it was before his first tenure with Yes). Both songs are moody and mystical and fit the vibe of some of what they've been with Drama material live, etc..

Though I'm not very enthused about Relayer, I know a lot of fans are looking forward to it, and it would be a lot more palatable to me if they paired it with another not-in-this-lifetime album performed live on the same tour- 90125! You get two ends of the spectrum of Yes fans there who are not going to want to miss hearing their favorite neglected album finally performed live, even if each group isn't generally huge into the other album in the pairing. You maximize crowd size, and give promoters something they've apparently approached the band about in the past in 90125, in return for getting the okay to do the perhaps less broadly appealing (to promoters) Relayer album. Of course, Steve's never going to do 90125. It'd be nice if we could at least a few songs from that era, though. Maybe more than a few if he lets the band carry on past his hypothetical retirement.

It's actually a mark of just how good this current incarnation of the band is that they can basically totally ignore my favorite era of Yes and I still think they're incredible live. JD actually hasn't been on anything officially released in the United States by the band singing anything later than Drama live to tape. He's done a bit live, though, of course (FFH, Nine Voices, etc.), albeit only "Owner of a Lonely Heart" from the Rabin era- and it's been a while since they've done that one.

Another interesting tidbit in the article is that Jay Schellen actually played drums with Tony Kaye in Badfinger. I had no idea! Pretty cool the connections between the various guys. A lot of meat in this article that I haven't even addressed and will leave to others.

This was the first explicit mention I'd seen from a member of the band of Davison and Sherwood working together on songs for the next studio album. It makes total sense and was something I was really hoping for, but a lot of the early talk focused on stuff that Billy wasn't involved with, and I was beginning to fear that we weren't going to get much collaboration between those two guys together writing wise on Horizons, if they ever get around to making it. :)
    Last edited by downbyariver; 08-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Re: Jon Davison Discusses the Next Yes Album, What He'd Like to Sing on Tour, and Mor

It is a very nice interview all together.

What I also found interesting concerning new music:

Andy Burns: In the gorgeous Yes 50 program/book that the Gottlieb Brothers put together, Steve Howe talks about the band is hopefully heading into a recording studio at some point where you guys can live and work on new music. How are you preparing for that?

Jon Davison: I’m always picking up a guitar. In fact, when I’m on tour, a good way for me to wind down at the end of the night is to sit up in bed and play my little travel guitar. This process serves as a bridge from being all wound up from performing to a more meditative, sleepy state. As a result, I’m quite creative on the road. I guess it’s because after being onstage where you have to be so on point and at the top of your game, there’s a lot of residual creativity that can be channeled. I’m always gathering ideas; spontaneous snippets that I make quick recordings of. I never want to develop something too much on my own. I’d rather leave a lot of open room for band collaboration.

That seem to go rather well with Steve's state of mind on the recording process for a next Yes album.....

But what I also find interesting is the bit about his role as Yes singer and his motivations:

Andy Burns: And so the first thing that I wanted to ask was, when did you feel like you were the singer in Yes? Was it a gradual thing?

Jon Davison: I figured from the moment I joined Yes that as long as I kept performance quality as my primary focal point, my ultimate goal, I’d know soon enough whether or not I was cut out for the role. So far, I feel I’ve met with success. Obviously the vast majority of Yes fans feel the same. That is really the only criteria I’ve allowed to define me as the singer of Yes. Otherwise, I don’t need to be the singer of Yes to have fame, recognition, or for any other egotistical motivation.

Andy Burns: I was at the first North American gig you did with the band in Orillia, Ontario, back in July 2012 and I thought then, and I’ve thought at every subsequent show that I’ve seen, is that that is the real and genuine you on stage. That you’re not trying to replace anyone, you get to be you. Is that a fair observation?

Jon Davison: Yeah, it is. And thank you for that. I’m glad that comes across. I’m forever in the shadow of Jon Anderson. However, that’s not a bad shadow to be in, depending on how you look at it. I have such a love for the music and I deeply relate to it. Also, I just happen to have been physically blessed with a counter tenor vocal range required for Yes vocals. So, I try and get the ego out of the way and let these two aspects guide my personal style of performing.

That is quite telling and it is also how he comes across in his performances to me. I've never understood the "copycat" yellers when it comes to that.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Mega Insane Yesfan

Re: Jon Davison Discusses the Next Yes Album, What He'd Like to Sing on Tour, and Mor

I see what he means about rounding out the 70s albums sequence on stage with Relayer and Tormato. I have zero interest in any of the Rabin albums being performed live by anyone.
    As far as a new album goes, I suppose I'd like to think they could all contribute pieces of music and ideas, predominantly instrumental, rather than concern themselves with 'songs', as such, and worry about assembling them into something coherent and arranged afterwards, kind of how they used to work in the 70s, but I have little hope of this being the case. I don't think they're capable now of that level of creative outpouring which would furnish enough usable material good enough for this compositional process to be viable, and nor they have the personnel in the band able to do that to that kind of necessary level.
    That said, I have still have interest, just not that much. I've moved on after 45 years to other areas of musical interest.

UK..........born in Morecambe but still not Wise !!!

[QUOTE=downbyariver;2828805]I think a lot of people will latch on to a lot of different facets of what is said in this interview, but here is the section that got me excited:

Source: https://biffbampop.com/2018/08/01/ex...avison-of-yes
    Wow...that is a very interesting interview and bodes well for the future of YesO. Ithink it is pretty obvious now that they will play all of Relayer next year....withJay and Patrick guesting. Bring it on !! The Trev Rabin stuff will never be played by a Steve lead Yes and I am okay with that....even if I do love 90125 and Big Generator.........Talk I think is my least favourite Yes release of all time....boring AOR. 50 years in ...they formed a year after I was born and I am still fascinated by this band.

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I see what he means about rounding out the 70s albums sequence on stage with Relayer and Tormato. I have zero interest in any of the Rabin albums being performed live by anyone.
    As far as a new album goes, I suppose I'd like to think they could all contribute pieces of music and ideas, predominantly instrumental, rather than concern themselves with 'songs', as such, and worry about assembling them into something coherent and arranged afterwards, kind of how they used to work in the 70s, but I have little hope of this being the case. I don't think they're capable now of that level of creative outpouring which would furnish enough usable material good enough for this compositional process to be viable, and nor they have the personnel in the band able to do that to that kind of necessary level.
    That said, I have still have interest, just not that much. I've moved on after 45 years to other areas of musical interest.
    Totally agree re Rabin albums live. Zero interest for me. If they try that in Europe, I won’t be going to any shows.

As far as a new album is concerned, I have no high expectations but will give it a chance if one ever appears.

In the frozen wilds of NorthernEnglandsetshire

I'd be far more interested in Rabin doing the Rabin albums [at least for the novelty value]. Why in god's name you'd want or expect YesO to do that when YesF have chosen not to beggars belief.

As for a largely Davison/Sherwood penned album, what would likely be 'Yessish' about that? If that's the sort of thing you want, what would be the material difference if they went ahead and just produced a Davison/Sherwood album rather than something with a Yes logo on it? On past evidence I wouldn't be all that optimistic it would be something I'd find great.

Honestly I would prefer Relayer and another albums say fly from here or time and a word or 90125 (now that would be interesting)

Geoff had said he doubts they will do all of Tormato and I want to believe him (though wouldn’t be shocked if it was done)

As for a new album I consistently live in hope and fear. Make no mistake I want a new album but we keep getting vague promises the only thing close to a concrete statement was Geoff saying in June yes would likely go into the studio this fall but even that seems to have quieted sadly...

I want a new album and I want yes to do more albums in full
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Thanks.

Monumental
    ... Too presumptuous for a title, I guess...

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    Thanks.

Monumental
    ... Too presumptuous for a title, I guess...
    Or Zenith? As H&E represents the Nadir.....

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Honestly I would prefer Relayer and another albums say fly from here or time and a word or 90125 (now that would be interesting)

Geoff had said he doubts they will do all of Tormato and I want to believe him (though wouldn’t be shocked if it was done)

As for a new album I consistently live in hope and fear. Make no mistake I want a new album but we keep getting vague promises the only thing close to a concrete statement was Geoff saying in June yes would likely go into the studio this fall but even that seems to have quieted sadly...

I want a new album and I want yes to do more albums in full
    I've have had enough of the full albums live for now although I would make an exception for Relayer, even just To Be Over & Gates. I'd prefer a set that included CTTE, Awaken, Southside & Gates with some shorter songs as well. Madrigal would be nice as they haven't played it in the UK yet (I think). New material would be good as well but I wouldn't bet on it.

I like the FFH album but don't think the whole album is strong enough to form such a big part of a live show. Similarly with Tormato & TAAW. I'd also leave any 90125, BG and Talk music to ARW.

Ultimately we'll get what the band decides to play and it's then up to us to decide if we think it's worth the price of a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsoib View Post
    I've have had enough of the full albums live for now although I would make an exception for Relayer, even just To Be Over & Gates. I'd prefer a set that included CTTE, Awaken, Southside & Gates with some shorter songs as well. Madrigal would be nice as they haven't played it in the UK yet (I think). New material would be good as well but I wouldn't bet on it.

I like the FFH album but don't think the whole album is strong enough to form such a big part of a live show. Similarly with Tormato & TAAW. I'd also leave any 90125, BG and Talk music to ARW.

Ultimately we'll get what the band decides to play and it's then up to us to decide if we think it's worth the price of a ticket.
    I think a lot of fans would agree with your choices. A medley like the “Big Medley” from the 78/79 tour with updated choices would be great instead of one of the more recently played epics. Of course Sherwood has experience in that realm with White (and Kaye).

Mega Insane Yesfan

I've always thought Future Times would make a great opener (though perhaps without the Rejoice bit at the end). They could extend it with a bit of a jam, maybe.....

Quote Originally Posted by wilsoib View Post
    I like the FFH album but don't think the whole album is strong enough to form such a big part of a live show.
    Well we got a good chunk of it in the 2011 European shows and they were pretty special.

I'd love to see a show with all of Relayer combined with picks from H&E, FFH, Tormato, The Ladder and hell, even a few from OYE.

Nothing from TYA through Tales and no GFTO.

It won't happen, but it could be a show and a half.

I've always thought Future Times would make a great opener (though perhaps without the Rejoice bit at the end). They could extend it with a bit of a jam, maybe.....
    Future Times /Bramble Jelly?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2210 View Post
    I'd be far more interested in Rabin doing the Rabin albums [at least for the novelty value]. Why in god's name you'd want or expect YesO to do that when YesF have chosen not to beggars belief.
    Well, Yes is Yes. They've been very explicit in claiming the entire 50 years of the Yes legacy and not just segments of it publicly. They're the linear continuation of the band. I'm not saying that to argue in their favor versus ARW's version of the band, it's an explanation as to why in the abstract, setting aside what I know of Steve Howe's views and of the interpersonal and interband dynamics, why it'd seem like covering music from a time period when the band had a lot of big hits would make sense to me- in the abstract. :)

I also don't consider their personnel as ill-suited to do it as some think they are. Geoff Downes played keyboards for the Buggles, who in the late 70s pioneered some of the sounds often identified with 80s music ("Video Killed the Radio Star" was even the first song ever played on MTV) and then went on to be in Asia, a top 80s band, as the keyboardist on every single studio album they ever made (With hopefully more to come!). I know Geoff has publicly really seemed to cool on the prospects of actually playing this material live, likely due to the feuding between Yes and ARW, *but* that doesn't mean he isn't well suited to play it. He made his bones playing exactly that type of music, and I'd love to hear his interpretation of what Yes was doing during the time period that he is best known for in general. Also, before this whole feud thing broke out, relatively early in his second stint with Yes, Geoff specifically mentioned a desire to play some material from that era, including "Changes".

Billy Sherwood actually made his bones with Yes in part specializing in that era of Yes music. He did a song that is vaguely reminiscent of it as a freelancer for Union, he was on the last 90125 lineup tour (Talk) as a touring musician and multi-instrumentalist, and he played lead guitar on the 90125 era songs performed from 1997-1999 or 2000 on stage for Yes (After Rabin left, a few songs remained in the setlist and Howe didn't want to play them, so Sherwood did). Sometimes he speaks of his role in Yes during his first stint in the band as retroactively attempting to knit the 70s and 80s eras together. In some ways, Sherwood was unfairly pigeonholed as an 80s Rabin-era guy because he was hired to essentially do that, initially, when in fact, it seems like he has a huge love for and is very good at Yes-Drama era material, and what he has written for Yes has elements of both. But he could certainly perform 90125 if asked.

Alan White was actually in the 90125 and Big Generator lineups, on the albums and doing the tours. Jay Schellen is a similar type of drummer, so would be able to handle that material also.

Jon Davison likes the albums and I don't see why he'd be inherently any less suited to them than the 70s stuff. In a way, the Drama material, originally performed by Trevor Horn, is further from the vocal range he normally has to sing Yes songs in, and his Topographic Drama versions of those were excellent. Vocally, the Jon Anderson parts on 90125 and Big Generator material would be no more difficult than the Jon Anderson parts he usually performs.

Steve Howe is of course probably the furthest from being able to craft an argument for wanting to hear do this material. However, it's worth pointing out that he has been in Asia at times. He also did some somewhat 80s sounding songs on Yes' Drama album, and possibly for Union (It wasn't really him playing on most of Union, but apparently there are versions of guitar tracks he demoed or something that didn't make the album). I mean, the opening riff of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" isn't that different from the opening riff of "Heat of the Moment". He even played bass on "Owner of a Lonely Heart" for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- and did it well. He was also in GTR and ABWH.

That said, I'll admit, Howe's the least stylistically suited of the current members to that material. However, Howe is so good, I wouldn't count him out if he actually was willing to try. He might pull it off. And if it was something he had trouble doing in certain parts, that's something that could be worked around- among possible solutions are switching Billy Sherwood to lead guitar and Steve Howe to bass guitar for select songs; switching Sherwood to lead, Davision to bass, and Howe to rhythm guitar on some songs; hiring a tour musician to handle some parts; or rearranging the songs for the stage to suit Howe's abilities and preferences so that he could play them all well (Which he may be able to do anyway) and they'd sound closer to the way the things he is the original writer on sound (A 70-ized version of the Rabin era songs could be somewhat interesting). It could be done. And he's really the only guy I'd have questions about in that scenario (And not many, considering he's a guitar legend.)- everyone else seems very well suited to being able to handle that era based on their track records.

I was also asked above why I wouldn't want ARW to do this. I never said I didn't. ARW could also do this. The more the merrier. Actually, that ARW is doing some some YesWest songs is the main reason I'll probably wind up buying their live album. Someone should do those songs since Yes Official keeps demurring. Heck, John Payne Asia covering "It Can Happen" was a big part of why I bought their album of 70s and 80s covers (Although, as it turns out, that wasn't one of the songs that they did the best covers of- some other ones are really well done [In one case, the original artist said he liked their arrangement so much that he was switching to it live from there on out] and that song was just adequately done IMO.).

As for a largely Davison/Sherwood penned album, what would likely be 'Yessish' about that? If that's the sort of thing you want, what would be the material difference if they went ahead and just produced a Davison/Sherwood album rather than something with a Yes logo on it?
    Well, the most literal answer I could give would be that it would be Yessish because they are the lead singer and bass guitar player for Yes, and would be collaborating with Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Alan White, and possibly Jay Schellen. However, doing a little deeper dive than that, I find the vocal harmonies the two share ("Written in the Centuries" from Billy Sherwood's solo Citizen album features Jon Davison on lead vocals, plus they are both on Topographic Drama and have been performing Yes live) very reminiscent of the connection between Jon Anderson and Chris Squire, albeit with it's own personality. I also think that Sherwood has been on a roll lately with his new material outside of Yes, specifically with his solo album Citizen and his Circa: album Valley of the Windmill, and that momentum could roll into Yes. Plus, these guys have always kind of sounded like Yes well before they even joined the band for the first time, it's like they were born to play these roles. Sherwood plays the bass as a lead instrument similar to the way Squire did, albeit with a slightly different style and different equipment (Squire specifically asked him to continue doing that on his deathbed- he didn't want Sherwood to feel like he had to pick up a blue Rickenbacher or something.).

So, what's the different between a Yes album where they do this and an album where they do this for a new band or as Davison-Sherwood? Well, for one thing, the Yes name has cachet, I feel that history and association whenever I play a Yes album, and it colors my perception of it in many ways, mostly positive ones. However, more tangibly, the performers themselves would probably try harder to sound like Yes and fit their album in the continuity of Yes' sound, style, and history, if they knew they were specifically making a Yes album with a Roger Dean cover (Or whatever). Also, tangibly, they'd be working with the other members of Yes (Some of whom, like Howe and White are associated with, wrote, played, and spent decades performing a ton of Yes' back catalog- even Downes has 3 studio albums, 3 live albums, and has racked up a ton of live shows now).

That said, I would totally buy an album or a whole series of albums that Davison and Sherwood might choose to release together under a new band name. In fact, I've posted suggesting that they do exactly that, as the Yes album seems to be held up, and a Yes-like album under a different name by Davison and Sherwood would be the next best thing. They could even do a series of albums like that, *and* a Yes album or two when and if Howe finally gives the okay. Sherwood is a very prolific writer and studio guy, and Davison is always looking for collaborators to do music with, as Juano prefers not to do things solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Geoff had said he doubts they will do all of Tormato and I want to believe him
    Yeah, me too. Tormato is probably my least favorite album of Yes music released in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. I don't know that it needs to be done live in it's entirety. That said, it's still Yes music, and I like some of it. Even the worst Yes albums tend to have some good songs. Since the split with Anderson, Yes has done at least 3 Tormato songs ("Onward" with Benoit David, "Don't Kill the Whale" and "Madrigal" with Jon Davison), two of which I've heard performed live, and all of which sounded good. I enjoyed them live. My suggestion would be to just keep working a fresh song or two from Tormato into setlists periodically, and in that way, they could play most or all of the album over the course of several years, rather than subjecting people to all the tracks back to back to back. It plays better as just a song or two amid a lot of old favorites from other albums, for me. Or just keep focusing on the best songs from that album- play "Don't Kill the Whale" as a regular standard or something to represent the album.

As for a new album I consistently live in hope and fear. Make no mistake I want a new album but we keep getting vague promises
    Yeah, I agree. We talk about a new album every year, and it never happens. If they hit the studio right now, the release would likely still be 5 years out from Heaven and Earth. It could easily be longer- or never. Clearly, it's not a priority for Steve Howe, and maybe not for some other members of the band either. I don't even know if in the end Howe will allow them to do one- let alone soon, or let alone as part of a whole bunch of new Yes albums I'd love to see in the years to come.

I often despair of them ever getting it together. Steve in particular has to really want it and make it happen. If he's against it or has impossible standards about what he wants to hear from the other guys music wise before he okays doing it, it won't happen while he's in control, which may or may not be the rest of the time the band exists (Hopefully it continues after him, and after everyone involved, because I'd love for Yes to live forever, but I know that that is far from a certainty- legally speaking, the Yes name and touring group and everything has has owners, and for the band to continue without the owners would likely require an ownership transfer or a license from one or more of the owners).
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.' And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

SR Super Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Well, Yes is Yes. They've been very explicit in claiming the entire 50 years of the Yes legacy and not just segments of it publicly. They're the linear continuation of the band. I'm not saying that to argue in their favor versus ARW's version of the band, it's an explanation as to why in the abstract, setting aside what I know of Steve Howe's views and of the interpersonal and interband dynamics, why it'd seem like covering music from a time period when the band had a lot of big hits would make sense to me- in the abstract. :)

I also don't consider their personnel as ill-suited to do it as some think they are. Geoff Downes played keyboards for the Buggles, who in the late 70s pioneered some of the sounds often identified with 80s music ("Video Killed the Radio Star" was even the first song ever played on MTV) and then went on to be in Asia, a top 80s band, as the keyboardist on every single studio album they ever made (With hopefully more to come!). I know Geoff has publicly really seemed to cool on the prospects of actually playing this material live, likely due to the feuding between Yes and ARW, *but* that doesn't mean he isn't well suited to play it. He made his bones playing exactly that type of music, and I'd love to hear his interpretation of what Yes was doing during the time period that he is best known for in general. Also, before this whole feud thing broke out, relatively early in his second stint with Yes, Geoff specifically mentioned a desire to play some material from that era, including "Changes".

Billy Sherwood actually made his bones with Yes in part specializing in that era of Yes music. He did a song that is vaguely reminiscent of it as a freelancer for Union, he was on the last 90125 lineup tour (Talk) as a touring musician and multi-instrumentalist, and he played lead guitar on the 90125 era songs performed from 1997-1999 or 2000 on stage for Yes (After Rabin left, a few songs remained in the setlist and Howe didn't want to play them, so Sherwood did). Sometimes he speaks of his role in Yes during his first stint in the band as retroactively attempting to knit the 70s and 80s eras together. In some ways, Sherwood was unfairly pigeonholed as an 80s Rabin-era guy because he was hired to essentially do that, initially, when in fact, it seems like he has a huge love for and is very good at Yes-Drama era material, and what he has written for Yes has elements of both. But he could certainly perform 90125 if asked.

Alan White was actually in the 90125 and Big Generator lineups, on the albums and doing the tours. Jay Schellen is a similar type of drummer, so would be able to handle that material also.

Jon Davison likes the albums and I don't see why he'd be inherently any less suited to them than the 70s stuff. In a way, the Drama material, originally performed by Trevor Horn, is further from the vocal range he normally has to sing Yes songs in, and his Topographic Drama versions of those were excellent. Vocally, the Jon Anderson parts on 90125 and Big Generator material would be no more difficult than the Jon Anderson parts he usually performs.

Steve Howe is of course probably the furthest from being able to craft an argument for wanting to hear do this material. However, it's worth pointing out that he has been in Asia at times. He also did some somewhat 80s sounding songs on Yes' Drama album, and possibly for Union (It wasn't really him playing on most of Union, but apparently there are versions of guitar tracks he demoed or something that didn't make the album). I mean, the opening riff of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" isn't that different from the opening riff of "Heat of the Moment". He even played bass on "Owner of a Lonely Heart" for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- and did it well. He was also in GTR and ABWH.

That said, I'll admit, Howe's the least stylistically suited of the current members to that material. However, Howe is so good, I wouldn't count him out if he actually was willing to try. He might pull it off. And if it was something he had trouble doing in certain parts, that's something that could be worked around- among possible solutions are switching Billy Sherwood to lead guitar and Steve Howe to bass guitar for select songs; switching Sherwood to lead, Davision to bass, and Howe to rhythm guitar on some songs; hiring a tour musician to handle some parts; or rearranging the songs for the stage to suit Howe's abilities and preferences so that he could play them all well (Which he may be able to do anyway) and they'd sound closer to the way the things he is the original writer on sound (A 70-ized version of the Rabin era songs could be somewhat interesting). It could be done. And he's really the only guy I'd have questions about in that scenario (And not many, considering he's a guitar legend.)- everyone else seems very well suited to being able to handle that era based on their track records.

I was also asked above why I wouldn't want ARW to do this. I never said I didn't. ARW could also do this. The more the merrier. Actually, that ARW is doing some some YesWest songs is the main reason I'll probably wind up buying their live album. Someone should do those songs since Yes Official keeps demurring. Heck, John Payne Asia covering "It Can Happen" was a big part of why I bought their album of 70s and 80s covers (Although, as it turns out, that wasn't one of the songs that they did the best covers of- some other ones are really well done [In one case, the original artist said he liked their arrangement so much that he was switching to it live from there on out] and that song was just adequately done IMO.).

Well, the most literal answer I could give would be that it would be Yessish because they are the lead singer and bass guitar player for Yes, and would be collaborating with Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Alan White, and possibly Jay Schellen. However, doing a little deeper dive than that, I find the vocal harmonies the two share ("Written in the Centuries" from Billy Sherwood's solo Citizen album features Jon Davison on lead vocals, plus they are both on Topographic Drama and have been performing Yes live) very reminiscent of the connection between Jon Anderson and Chris Squire, albeit with it's own personality. I also think that Sherwood has been on a roll lately with his new material outside of Yes, specifically with his solo album Citizen and his Circa: album Valley of the Windmill, and that momentum could roll into Yes. Plus, these guys have always kind of sounded like Yes well before they even joined the band for the first time, it's like they were born to play these roles. Sherwood plays the bass as a lead instrument similar to the way Squire did, albeit with a slightly different style and different equipment (Squire specifically asked him to continue doing that on his deathbed- he didn't want Sherwood to feel like he had to pick up a blue Rickenbacher or something.).

So, what's the different between a Yes album where they do this and an album where they do this for a new band or as Davison-Sherwood? Well, for one thing, the Yes name has cachet, I feel that history and association whenever I play a Yes album, and it colors my perception of it in many ways, mostly positive ones. However, more tangibly, the performers themselves would probably try harder to sound like Yes and fit their album in the continuity of Yes' sound, style, and history, if they knew they were specifically making a Yes album with a Roger Dean cover (Or whatever). Also, tangibly, they'd be working with the other members of Yes (Some of whom, like Howe and White are associated with, wrote, played, and spent decades performing a ton of Yes' back catalog- even Downes has 3 studio albums, 3 live albums, and has racked up a ton of live shows now).

That said, I would totally buy an album or a whole series of albums that Davison and Sherwood might choose to release together under a new band name. In fact, I've posted suggesting that they do exactly that, as the Yes album seems to be held up, and a Yes-like album under a different name by Davison and Sherwood would be the next best thing. They could even do a series of albums like that, *and* a Yes album or two when and if Howe finally gives the okay. Sherwood is a very prolific writer and studio guy, and Davison is always looking for collaborators to do music with, as Juano prefers not to do things solo.

Yeah, me too. Tormato is probably my least favorite album of Yes music released in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. I don't know that it needs to be done live in it's entirety. That said, it's still Yes music, and I like some of it. Even the worst Yes albums tend to have some good songs. Since the split with Anderson, Yes has done at least 3 Tormato songs ("Onward" with Benoit David, "Don't Kill the Whale" and "Madrigal" with Jon Davison), two of which I've heard performed live, and all of which sounded good. I enjoyed them live. My suggestion would be to just keep working a fresh song or two from Tormato into setlists periodically, and in that way, they could play most or all of the album over the course of several years, rather than subjecting people to all the tracks back to back to back. It plays better as just a song or two amid a lot of old favorites from other albums, for me. Or just keep focusing on the best songs from that album- play "Don't Kill the Whale" as a regular standard or something to represent the album.

Yeah, I agree. We talk about a new album every year, and it never happens. If they hit the studio right now, the release would likely still be 5 years out from Heaven and Earth. It could easily be longer- or never. Clearly, it's not a priority for Steve Howe, and maybe not for some other members of the band either. I don't even know if in the end Howe will allow them to do one- let alone soon, or let alone as part of a whole bunch of new Yes albums I'd love to see in the years to come.

I often despair of them ever getting it together. Steve in particular has to really want it and make it happen. If he's against it or has impossible standards about what he wants to hear from the other guys music wise before he okays doing it, it won't happen while he's in control, which may or may not be the rest of the time the band exists (Hopefully it continues after him, and after everyone involved, because I'd love for Yes to live forever, but I know that that is far from a certainty- legally speaking, the Yes name and touring group and everything has has owners, and for the band to continue without the owners would likely require an ownership transfer or a license from one or more of the owners).

14 paragraphs to do Love Potion Number Nine about Steve's Yes Revisted. C'mon buddy!

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Well we got a good chunk of it in the 2011 European shows and they were pretty special.

I'd love to see a show with all of Relayer combined with picks from H&E, FFH, Tormato, The Ladder and hell, even a few from OYE.

Nothing from TYA through Tales and no GFTO.

It won't happen, but it could be a show and a half.

I remember that. The FFH suite and Into the Storm were great. I’m just not sure the rest of the album is strong enough. I’d go to a show with the set list you suggest though.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherReal View Post
    14 paragraphs to do Love Potion Number Nine about Steve's Yes Revisted. C'mon buddy!
    Yeah, that might have been a little bit much on my part. Sorry.

I just plugged that into a word processor and it came out at 1959 words, which kind of astounded me. Even I'm usually not that bad.

In my defense, though, there is a certain symmetry to a guy who writes really long posts writing on a forum about a band that writes really long songs. :)
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.' And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Future Times without Rejoice would be unsatisfying to me, kinda like Trooper without Würm, it has one of my favorite bass performances by Chris, live he duplicated both bass & harmonies exactly like the album. If you listen closely to both elements, it's quite an accomplishment, bass & vox are completely different, how Squire was able to do this will always be a mystery to me.
    Two out of every three people wish the third one would go away.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Future Times without Rejoice would be unsatisfying to me, kinda like Trooper without Würm, it has one of my favorite bass performances by Chris, live he duplicated both bass & harmonies exactly like the album. If you listen closely to both elements, it's quite an accomplishment, bass & vox are completely different, how Squire was able to do this will always be a mystery to me.
    The guy had incredible left/right brain independence and synchronicity when it came to music. Geddy Lee is cut from the same cloth. Agree with you re Future Times, you can’t cut out the Rejoice section.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast