Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

  1. #1
    Yesfan
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    5368746

    Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Title says it all :)





  2. #2
    Insane Yesfan
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    107374356

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    I don't believe so. They typically record the audio of every show, so presumably they could put another live album out similar to Topographic Drama. I would be fine with that.

  3. #3
    Insane Yesfan yesmike0215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    107374392

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Exactly what JMKUSA said. The band records audio of every show anyways, so they’ll have the material to put out a live CD. As far as filming for a DVD, I have not heard anything. If doppler can confirm this, that’d be appreciated.
    yesmike0215



  4. #4
    Yesfan nzyesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,189
    Rep Power
    107374603

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by yesmike0215 View Post
    Exactly what JMKUSA said. The band records audio of every show anyways, so they’ll have the material to put out a live CD. As far as filming for a DVD, I have not heard anything. If doppler can confirm this, that’d be appreciated.
    I'm not sure that they record all shows *multitrack* though do they? ... which is what they would need to do to be able to mix for a live cd.
    -----
    paul
    -----

  5. #5
    Insane Yesfan
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,090
    Rep Power
    107374390

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    I'm not sure that they record all shows *multitrack* though do they? ... which is what they would need to do to be able to mix for a live cd.
    I don't have confirmation for that but its much easier to do that nowadays then back in the day when you had to have a mixing board brought into the venue or a mobile recording truck.

  6. #6
    SR Mega Yesfan Mr. Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
    Age
    45
    Posts
    27,096
    Rep Power
    107375829

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    What I do know is that Billy said for Topographic Drama he sifted through all of the shows finding the best performances and then putting those together. Even one song could be a mix of several performances. That would suggest they recorded every show. What I don't know is that a live release of that tour was already planned before the tour and so therefore they recorded all the shows or whether that is something they do anyway nowadays.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

  7. #7
    Yesfan nzyesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,189
    Rep Power
    107374603

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    What I do know is that Billy said for Topographic Drama he sifted through all of the shows finding the best performances and then putting those together. Even one song could be a mix of several performances. That would suggest they recorded every show. What I don't know is that a live release of that tour was already planned before the tour and so therefore they recorded all the shows or whether that is something they do anyway nowadays.
    Billy acknowledged that they didn't have multi-tracks for the Horn guest vocals appearance so thats why a recording of Tempus Fugit feat. Horn didn't appear on 'Topographic Drama'. Which makes me think they only go to the extra expense to record multitrack versions of the shows they think they may use. Not all.
    -----
    paul
    -----

  8. #8
    Insane Yesfan yesmike0215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    107374392

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    I'm not sure that they record all shows *multitrack* though do they? ... which is what they would need to do to be able to mix for a live cd.
    I believe the mixer they use to mix front of house and monitor mixes has the capability of recording each track, which is multitrack recording. The band have been doing this since 2016.
    yesmike0215



  9. #9
    Insane Yesfan yesmike0215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    107374392

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    Billy acknowledged that they didn't have multi-tracks for the Horn guest vocals appearance so thats why a recording of Tempus Fugit feat. Horn didn't appear on 'Topographic Drama'. Which makes me think they only go to the extra expense to record multitrack versions of the shows they think they may use. Not all.
    This could be a polite way of saying that Horn’s performance was not up to par. To my knowledge, they record each show (multitrack). Geoff has confirmed that as well. I’ve glanced at the board they use, and they seem to have the technology to record every show so why not? Trevor did a horrific job singing TF at his guest performances. (I normally tag “IMO” after sentences like those, but due to the vast majority of agreement I’ve seen on this site, and elsewhere, I won’t bother.) They made the right choice to not use Horn’s performance. Let’s remember Billy was “delivered” the audio files of each show. Those files may have been hand-picked as “their best performances,” but the bottom line is each show appears to be recorded.
    Last edited by yesmike0215; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:42 PM.
    yesmike0215



  10. #10
    JR Yesfan, senior Yes fan khatrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    the space between the notes
    Age
    62
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    107374334

    Canada2 Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    Billy acknowledged that they didn't have multi-tracks for the Horn guest vocals appearance so thats why a recording of Tempus Fugit feat. Horn didn't appear on 'Topographic Drama'. Which makes me think they only go to the extra expense to record multitrack versions of the shows they think they may use. Not all.
    On a low level digital system like a Mackie DL32R the extra expense to get hi-res multracks of a show only amounts to the cost of a big enough flash drive or SD card. I don’t imagine that the systems bands like Yes use are much different.

  11. #11
    Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chichen Itza
    Posts
    4,611
    Rep Power
    107374673

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by yesmike0215 View Post
    This could be a polite way of saying that Horn’s performance was not up to par. To my knowledge, they record each show (multitrack). Geoff has confirmed that as well. I’ve glanced at the board they use, and they seem to have the technology to record every show so why not? Trevor did a horrific job singing TF at his guest performances. (I normally tag “IMO” after sentences like those, but due to the vast majority of agreement I’ve seen on this site, and elsewhere, I won’t bother.) They made the right choice to not use Horn’s performance. Let’s remember Billy was “delivered” the audio files of each show. Those files may have been hand-picked as “their best performances,” but the bottom line is each show appears to be recorded.
    Nothing Autotune can't fix.

  12. #12
    Yesfan
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    107374289

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    No shows were officially filmed.

    Yes, the majority of the shows are multitracked recorded by the band's sound engineer. Mainly for archival purposes.

  13. #13
    SR Mega Yesfan Mr. Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
    Age
    45
    Posts
    27,096
    Rep Power
    107375829

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by doppler View Post
    No shows were officially filmed.

    Yes, the majority of the shows are multitracked recorded by the band's sound engineer. Mainly for archival purposes.
    I'm kind of amazed by that. Certainly when it was such an occasion as the 50th anniversary and certainly with the one time deal of having a special guest on tour. This was a unique one. What good reason can there have been for not filming one or two shows for official release?!
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

  14. #14
    SR Super Yesfan downbyariver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,988
    Rep Power
    107374654

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    I am not sure if it'd be marketable or not, but since they record every tour stop, I'd enjoy hearing a live album that combined stuff that hasn't been on official live releases in the Davison era that they've done over the course of the last few years of tours, on a single release. So, you'd get a live album that consisted of something like:

    Fly From Here (2012)
    Believe Again (2014)
    The Game (2014)
    To Ascend (2014l
    Owner of a Lonely Heart (2015)
    Don't Kill the Whale (2015)
    Time and a Word (2015 oe 2016)
    Survival (2017)
    Sweet Dreams (2018)
    Nine Voices (2018l
    Soon (2017 or 2018l
    Marigal (2017 or 2018)

    I'm probably missing a few there. Just sort of a "stuff that somehow missed the live albums" type thing. Some of that stuff hadn't been done in decades if ever, and certsinly they were firsts for the lineuos thst performed them.

    I guess it wouldn't be all that marketable to the general public (Though Owner would be on it) but maybe do it as a digital download only self-release through bandcamp with a picture of the band on stage as the "cover art" to cut production costs down to just mixing and uploading to the site, or maybe even just as a soundboard release without even any real mixing. Just a thought out of leftfield. I'd buy it.

    More realistically, I'd be happy to fork out for a paid download of the 50th anniversary tour stuff if the track list was identical to the setlist on the tour- either pick one show, or do it Topographic Drama dtyle where you take the best version of each song you can find.

    I don't do DVDs. I prefer MP3s, but I'll pay for the legitimate licensed ones. The way I consume music is very tied in with audio that fits the existing format of my collection. So, the lack of a video version of Topographic Drama didn't bother me st all- I'd have gotten the audio version anyhow.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

  15. #15
    SR Super Yesfan downbyariver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,988
    Rep Power
    107374654

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    I'm kind of amazed by that. Certainly when it was such an occasion as the 50th anniversary and certainly with the one time deal of having a special guest on tour. This was a unique one. What good reason can there have been for not filming one or two shows for official release?!
    Maybe pro shot filming is costly if you don't have a deal in place that ensures a label is covering your costs. I get the feeling the audio taping of shows, on the other hand, is inexpensive enough these days that they can just do it and see if they have the opportunity to or want to put out a live album later.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

  16. #16
    SR Super Yesfan downbyariver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,988
    Rep Power
    107374654

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Of course, we'ee doing pretty good on live albums lately and are relatively brefit of studio albums. So, if its in any way a question of one or the other, I'm 1,000% for a studio album of original music rather than a live album.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

  17. #17
    Mega Yesfan Davey1727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hanover, PA.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    506
    Rep Power
    107374329

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Maybe pro shot filming is costly if you don't have a deal in place that ensures a label is covering your costs. I get the feeling the audio taping of shows, on the other hand, is inexpensive enough these days that they can just do it and see if they have the opportunity to or want to put out a live album later.
    Yep. I'd like the band to release a souvenir CD of the few tracks from the #Yes50 tour not covered by the Like It Is series:

    Nine Voices
    Believe Again
    Second Initial
    Madrigal
    Sweet Dreams
    Fly From Here
    Soon

    Use the Yes50 artwork from the tour book on a simple cardboard sleeve, charge $10 or $15 a piece, and sell it directly from the website. I'd buy a couple copies myself, (one to have and one to play!)






  18. #18
    Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    40320905

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    It would be criminal not to release audio of the second Philly show. The setlist was great and the performances stellar. And to have guest appearances by Kaye, Horn and Moraz (and Brislin on tambourine!) on a single CD (or download) would make me positively giddy. That would be the Union-style release we've all been clamoring for.

    On a related note, did I mishear Horn saying at the Fan Festival that he'd like write and record with the band again? Davison definitely said he wanted to record with everyone on that stage, right?

  19. #19
    Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    40320905

    Re: Has any gigs on the current tour been filmed for release?

    On a related related note, this could almost be more Union-like than the Union tour. The show featured every living past and present member of Yes who isn't named Anderson, Rabin or Wakeman, hasn't been accused of sexual misconduct, hasn't retired and earned a doctorate, and doesn't have a Canadian accent. Counting Schellen (but not counting Brislin), there were nine past and present members on the stage.
    Last edited by MeMeMe; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:08 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •