Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: YES feat. ARW: 26 Aug 2018 – Whisky a Go Go, Los Angeles, CA

Re: YES feat. ARW: 26 Aug 2018 – Whisky a Go Go, Los Angeles, CA

Any word if ARW have been practicing? Where? Any new material?

Sounds like this is the rehearsal show!
    This is very different, but hope it is a great show.
    $1000, doesn't even cover the cost of renting the Venue!
    YES ...as I will always need you inside my

I'm too old to stand in line, go through the clusterf#*k inside the Venue, etc . . . but, this IS where I 1st saw Jon Anderson & Rick Wakeman and it would be cool; but . . . Naw.
    I have 2nd row seats at The Greek and will take that instead. :-)
    "Failure to prepare is preparing for Failure"-John R. Wooden

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

What did I tell y'all? Stunt-y!
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Wow. $2 is a lot cheaper than Yes's Groupon's tickets a couple of years ago.

New to the site

Newbie here, but, long, long, long time Yes fan. Anyone from San Diego/this forum area going to the Whiskey a Go Go show?

I have tickets to Humphry's, and a plane ticket to Indianapolis Sept 4th, and will pick them up for the last 4 night in Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, and Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I would guess this would be a industry/family showcase more or less with some real fans there too. Prob 50/50... Sounds like fun!!

El Gato comes up to Oxnard before each Yes show with his special blend and positive vibe. He's a legend and A lister. He's trying to talk me in to going to the Greek...
    Go !!! You know you'll enjoy it !!
    "Failure to prepare is preparing for Failure"-John R. Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Revealing Science View Post
    Newbie here, but, long, long, long time Yes fan. Anyone from San Diego/this forum area going to the Whiskey a Go Go show?
    I wish I could, even though I really don't have the stamina to stand in line for hours anymore.
    - Mr. Poms

Quote Originally Posted by ANTIOCH View Post
    Go !!! You know you'll enjoy it !!
    I'm going to do my best, I LOVE the whole experience at The Greek, but the forces of nature are against me :/

That is where I saw my first Yes-related show with ABWH. Was incredible, Steve, Bill, Rick, and Jon were awesome, but a downer Levin was not there...

Might make The Whisky show though :)

Super Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by BEE View Post
    Any word if ARW have been practicing? Where? Any new material?

Sounds like this is the rehearsal show!
    This is very different, but hope it is a great show.
    $1000, doesn't even cover the cost of renting the Venue!
    I’m guessing no. I just noted the ARW are touring during a break in ELO’s schedule. ELO last U.S. date is 2 days before the Whiskey date. ELO resumes three days after ARW’s short tour ends.

Right - I noted when the purported schedule had been originally leaked that they had scheduled around Lee's touring commitments with ELO.
    Last edited by luna65; 6 Days Ago at 06:52 PM.
    - Mr. Poms

Sailing the Seventh Age babylon5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    From their Facebook page

"YES feat. Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Rick Wakeman announce special/intimate show at the Whisky A Go Go in LA with $2 tickets!

Yes featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Rick Wakeman are proud to announce a special show that will kick off their 2018 U.S. tour at the Whisky A Go Go in Los Angeles, on August 26th. This intimate venue has been selected to celebrate Yes’ first headline show there in November 1971, so tickets will be available at ’71 prices – only $2 each!

As the music industry takes a stand against second ticketing, the legendary band will be doing their best to combat scalpers and make sure that tickets get into the hands of actual Yes fans and not intermediaries, by making them available ONLY AT THE DOOR ON THE DAY OF SHOW and for cash only. KLOS will be sponsoring the show (along with a concert 3 nights later at the Greek Theatre), with the slogan “Say yes to Yes on KLOS.” This will be a unique opportunity to see the band up close and personal in a club setting before they move onto much larger venues for the remainder of the tour."
    I just phoned the Whisky to see if they have any other information, and they don't. They confirmed the $2 price, but don't know when the box office will open. I suppose it doesn't matter, since we're talking hours and hours in line anyway.

The $2 price is misleading, since the cost of parking will be much more than that. Still, it's a pretty cool idea. And it does seem a good way to prevent scalpers and re-sellers! (Unless some rich guy in Beverly Hills pays a servant to stand in line for him. And if one person gets in line, will there be any limit on how many places he can save for his friends?)

I'm torn about whether to go. Standing in line for eight hours might be palatable, if that guaranteed I'd get in. But standing in line for eight hours and then not getting in would be really annoying! I stood in line for the mostly-acoustic Emerson & Lake show near D.C. in 2010; we had tickets but it was a first-come first-seated venue, and we wanted good seats. Half an hour before the show was to begin, they announced that Lake's throat was sore and the show was cancelled. They rescheduled for a couple months later, so I got to stand in line again -- that time we saw the show!
    - babylon5

All I know is Trent Reznor went the same route for the current NIN tour (you could only purchase tickets directly from the venue box offices and fans waited in line for the better part of a day) and people were still able to buy them from secondary sales outlets. However, since they're selling these the day of I imagine it might have the intended effect.
    - Mr. Poms

Sailing the Seventh Age babylon5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I wonder if they'll be doing giveaways on local stations too, like KLOS and KKLQ.
    Now that we know the show is sponsored by KLOS, I think it's inevitable that they will be giving away some tickets, which means even fewer tickets for those who wait in line. (In England, are folks who stand in line to buy tickets called "punters"? I saw Mike Rutherford use that term in an interview.)

By the way, KKLQ "The Sound" went off the air last November. When they started, they had the promise of being a great station playing lots of prog, but they quickly just became a run-of-the-mill classic rock station, playing "Stairway to Heaven", "Hotel California," "Dream On," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Won't Get Fooled Again," and a few Rolling Stones songs on an infinite loop like all the others. If you want real variety in Los Angeles and can't afford satellite radio, check out 88.5 KCSN, which is a Cal State Northridge / Saddleback College station. Or listen to Jonesy between noon and 2 PM on KLOS. I've been listening to rock radio since 1980, and when I listen to KCSN or Jonesy, I recognize less than a third of the songs. Neither plays much prog, but if I want to hear prog-rock I've got plenty of CDs!
    - babylon5

Super Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by flatopfreak View Post
    I’m guessing no. I just noted the ARW are touring during a break in ELO’s schedule. ELO last U.S. date is 2 days before the Whiskey date. ELO resumes three days after ARW’s short tour ends.
    I meant to say noticed NOT noted. Sorry for Amy confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by babylon5 View Post
    (In England, are folks who stand in line to buy tickets called "punters"? I saw Mike Rutherford use that term in an interview.)
    I believe "punter" is just a general term for a fan of whatever, although I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't actually listen to the radio all that much, but I can only pick up the LA stations when I'm on the freeway,
    Last edited by luna65; 6 Days Ago at 02:48 AM.
    - Mr. Poms

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I believe "punter" is a just a general term for a fan of whatever, although I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes. Or more broadly, a customer.
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

JR Yesfan

Hmmm...should I get a ticket? shouldn't I get a ticket? should I get a ticket...?...I mean the celebrity theatre in Phoenix DOES have very uncomfortable seats...I mean we're talking back breakers here...last time I went there I had an open seat next to me and could move my legs over into that space and it still sucked! I said to myself I'll never go back to that place ever again! ...uhm but this is YES! With Jon Anderson! ...should I really wimp out just cuz of the seats?? ...well, maybe...but this same line-up will be commanding over $2500.00 a ticket at Ravina in Illinois and it ain't gonna cost nearly that much out here...but something funny seems to be going on with the line-up I think...is Steve Howe playing with them at some shows and Trevor Rabin at others?...I wonder...yesfans got together before the show last time they came out here...it was awesome 😎...funny thing is while I'm trying to decide they'll probably sell out!

1000words

JR Yesfan

Oops! sorry I think I posted this on the wrong thread my bad...

It might be smart for them to bring in cameras and film this for a potential DVD and live audio album release. The visuals and acoustics of a venue that small might make it relatively unique, and just being able to put the name of a famous venue like that on the cover of an album could earn an extra sale or two.

The question would of course be if their setlist could be varied enough from the live album due out in September to make another live album worth doing. I think they've substitute a song or two into the setlist (and a song or two out of the setlist) since the September live album was recorded, but I think most fans would want more differentiation than that to make them go out and get both live albums. So, would they be able to change enough songs over? One thought is that in addition to adding a few different Yes songs, they could do some famous rock classics, maybe from Rock and Roll Hall of Famers who have performed at the Whiskey in the past, or just old rock songs in general. You know, Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple, the Beatles, Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc.- they seem to have an affinity for some of those bands and people and may already know how to play the songs.

Just a thought. I expect it'll just be a standard setlist that's all or mostly the same as the previous concerts they've done, possibly shortened because of the small audience paying only $2 a pop to get in the door. But it does present an *opportunity* for the band to do something unique for the live fans and people who might be able to purchase a live album later, if the band wants to do the work it would require to take it.

If they film and record it, maybe plant a few young attractive ringers upfront in 60s hippy type garb going wild and dancing on the tables and applauding like crazy, reaching out to touch band members, screaming, etc.- acting like the crowds that greeted the Beatles when they first came to America. Maybe get an older celebrity or two sitting at a table, too.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    It might be smart for them to bring in cameras and film this for a potential DVD

If they film and record it, maybe plant a few young attractive ringers upfront in 60s hippy type garb going wild and dancing on the tables and applauding like crazy, reaching out to touch band members, screaming, etc.- acting like the crowds that greeted the Beatles when they first came to America. Maybe get an older celebrity or two sitting at a table, too.
    it could be a fun video... filmed from the very first person waiting in line to the last one leaving and all the craziness in between, it could be fun.... maybe run some video in fast motion of them (benny hill style)... strange video shots from behind the bar... and video of fans that just quite didn't make it in but still hanging out outside.... it could make for a interesting video for sure.

If Rick Wakeman narrated it like he did for the Yes acoustic rehearsals thing on youtube, I bet it would be quite funny and a blast to watch, it might be the perfect setting for such a video

still undefined

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast