View Poll Results: Should Chris Squire be on the next Yes album?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 69.44%
  • No

11 30.56%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want Chris on the next Yes album?

Do you want Chris on the next Yes album?

Regardless of which yes we are talking about it seems people actually DON’T want Chris on it so I M curious to see how many people what Chris on it at all (even one track) vs letting Billy or Lee have 100% of he bass
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Re: Do you want Chris on the next Yes album?

I've said it before - if there are Squire recordings available that are up to his very high standard, then yes, that would be cool. But if there are lesser recordings that people want to incorporate into a new album just for the sake of it being Squire, then no way. Squire would never have allowed less than 'perfect' performance on a studio recording when he was alive. I don't think it would honour him to do that now.
    -Pete

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

To me no
    It seems wrong
    Let Billy Shine

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    I've said it before - if there are Squire recordings available that are up to his very high standard, then yes, that would be cool. But if there are lesser recordings that people want to incorporate into a new album just for the sake of it being Squire, then no way. Squire would never have allowed less than 'perfect' performance on a studio recording when he was alive. I don't think it would honour him to do that now.
    Exactly this. I can't respond to the poll unless there is an 'it depends'-type option.
    I would also find it interesting to include some quality Chris, with Billy picking up some way in, and building on it to make a huge, bass duel (of some kind). But only if everyone involved is confident that Chris would have liked the result.

The new album should be Billy's but IF any of Chris' work on that leftover long piece can be cleaned up and used, it should. With Billy playing on the rest of the song, it would make a nice passing of the torch.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

I'm torn.

Part of me says no that would be a difficult idea to appreciate. Squire's successor is now the Yes Bass player. That's Billy's job to define those parts. Moving on should now be the order of the day.

Another part of me would quite like it as a tribute to Chris .... but then Billys already done a tribute album.

Are we talking about recordings *by* Chris being used or are we talking about a writing credit on a song that Chris recorded the demo for and Yes then subsequently recorded with the current lineup? A writing credit I could understand.

And another thought, if Scotty is willing to suggest ARW could use the Yes name to Anderson, could she give ARW use of an unreleased Squire track?

I'm leaning more towards wanting to see Yes just dedicating the album to the memory of Squire and making it the best album this lineup is capable of delivering.
    -----
    paul
    -----

^
    Good call

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

This ^^
    Possessio is nine-tenths of the word.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

In the frozen wilds of NorthernEnglandsetshire

Mind-reader.

I don't why I can't seem to give rep points to any of my favourite posters any more - it's ages since I last rep'd you and this is happening all the time. Anyone know how this works?

I am surprised by the difference of opinion....
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Is this some kind of sick joke? Tonto Goldstein's Avatar

Amen to all that! :-)
    Learn to love your enemies, because it really pisses them off. – Anon

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - - Mark Twain
    (let this be a warning to anyone who wants to get in an argument with me. :-)

SR Mega Yesfan

It obviously depends on what you have. If you have some song ideas that Squire contributed to and you want to include them on a new album, then I'm all for that and Squire gets a writing credit. Squire had been working towards a new album before he died. Why wouldn't you use any ideas if you think they're good?

If, in addition, you have tracks Squire has recorded, and they're of good quality, then, again, I'm all for it. Why wouldn't you want to hear Squire playing once again? If what you have isn't up to scratch, then you don't use it. But we don't know what the band has, so we're not in a position to judge that.

This is a not Made in Heaven situation where Freddie Mercury recorded a bunch of material knowing he was dying and wanting the band to continue the album after him. Nor is this a "Free as a Bird" situation where The Beatles were re-uniting after a long period and felt they had to include Lennon in any new music. (Does anyone know the circumstances around Gong's Rejoice! I’m Dead!, which might be a better parallel?) It seems to me that Yes have some flexibility: they aren't tied to using any Squire recordings, but if they have something that's right for the album they want to make, then they can do something that will link back to the one person who has been on every Yes album.

Indeed, they have already done all this. Return Trip is all Squire on bass, and includes one song finished in 2017 with "Don't Take No for an Answer".

As this isn't a Made in Heaven situation, then I'm not worried about this failing to provide a space for Squire's replacement. If it's anything, it will not be the whole album. There will have to be plenty of Sherwood playing bass on a new album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^
    I'd be happy with Chris on Anderson's new solo album
    I'm Sure Chris would be happy for YES official and YES feat to forge on with new material that is going to honour his legacy without having to rely on demo's , out takes and pieced together bits of music that he previously played on , that were not possibly intended for our ears .
    Although Horizons may count as an exception .
    You only have to listen to Golden Age to understand unfinished pieces are exactly that , unfinished pieces
    There was enough critiscm on " dont take know for an answer "about whether Howe played a Chris impersonation , we don't need that again do we ?

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

As a general rule bass and drums tend to be finaiised in recordings first and the rest takes longer to refine.
    So that might increase the chances of good Squire bass lines out there.

Suspended

It's almost inevitable that they'll use some of his playing on any new album if and when it appears. Why wouldn't they? Why shouldn't they? As I've previously said 'no Chris,no Yes' this could tip the balance in terms of whether I'd buy it or not, but if it's an isolated track, probably not. Problem is they have a bass player, so it won't work with anything new being all or mostly Chris at the expense of Billy. Perhaps two bass guitars then.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Regardless of which yes we are talking about it seems people actually DON’T want Chris on it so I M curious to see how many people what Chris on it at all (even one track) vs letting Billy or Lee have 100% of he bass
    One of your less-fantastical threads! Well done.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Problem is they have a bass player, so it won't work with anything new being all or mostly Chris at the expense of Billy.
    I don't see anything to indicate that a release would be "all or mostly Chris". Rumours have pointed to two songs. Even with both being used and one of those being long, the majority of the album will be Sherwood on bass.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't see anything to indicate that a release would be "all or mostly Chris". Rumours have pointed to two songs. Even with both being used and one of those being long, the majority of the album will be Sherwood on bass.

Henry
    I wasn't suggesting it would be 'all or mostly' only that IF it was 'all or mostly' as a purely hypothetical comment. sigh.

I'm torn between Yes using some material they have with Squire and develop it into something incredible, including Billy's contribution, or just calling it a day.

I'm not that excited about the idea of any Yes album with zero Squire on it. Isn't that shocking!?

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I'm torn between Yes using some material they have with Squire and develop it into something incredible, including Billy's contribution, or just calling it a day.

I'm not that excited about the idea of any Yes album with zero Squire on it. Isn't that shocking!?
    Not really if that's how you truly feel.

Yes have a history of recycling material that they've accumulated as un-used pieces from previous recordings. As other folks have said if it's good stuff then why not use it.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast