Thread: "Steve Howe Into the Storm" by Anil Prasad

"Steve Howe Into the Storm" by Anil Prasad

Been reading lots of interviews (older and some newer) with Steve Howe in the run up to seeing them later this week!

Here is a really good interview with Steve discussing Yes and solo projects:

"Steve Howe Into the Storm" by Anil Prasad
    https://www.innerviews.org/inner/howe2.html

Even though from 2012, thought I'd share, as I'm sure there must be more than a few who hadn't seen it before.
    Last edited by bdcs64; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:20 PM.
    "I have a favorite breakfast cereal. It's what we call porridge, but you call it oatmeal. [...] If you want to do it the Steve Howe way, it’s one cup of oatmeal, one cup of water and one cup of milk, and that gives it a nice creamy texture. Don't put sugar in it, on it, or anywhere near the kitchen table." Guitar World, Nov 2011

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: "Steve Howe Into the Storm" by Anil Prasad

That’s a very interesting read, thank you. Only skimmed it, because I’ve no time now, but I’ll read all of it later.
    Just one observation, Steve says with Magnification they went into the studio without much or any preperation.
    Not a bad result, IMO. Compare that to where Steve is now...

Insane Yesfan Closetotheedge1972's Avatar

Yes, I don't think Steve has spoken to him much of late:

From Anil Prasad's INNERVIEWS on Heaven and Earth: "This is an embarrassing, appalling, intergalactic explosive turd of an album. It is a complete waste of electricity and hard drive space. Everyone involved should be utterly ashamed of themselves. And you can quote me.
    "Everything about this album is terrible. I'm surprised the production wasn't better. This is coming from someone that knows every note of every YES album, including the terrible ones. This is the lowest point in the band's history. YES is over. Face it.

"I don't understand what Steve's contribution to this album is. There's no coherence or unity in the writing and execution. The songs are barely songs. There's a loose assemblage of bits all stitched together. There are poorly conceived little instrumental interludes grafted in here and there.

"It is clear YES is nothing without the 'Napoleon' presence of an Anderson or Horn -- absolutely nothing -- just a bunch of rudderless players who wouldn't know a good song, arrangement, or production if it fell on their heads from the sky. OPEN YOUR EYES is much better. Yes, I am serious."

Mega Insane Yesfan

Open Your Eyes I marginally prefer, insofar as I've listened to it once this year, whereas I don't have any expectations of spinning Heaven and Earth at any time in the near, mid-, or distant future, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Closetotheedge1972 View Post

From Anil Prasad's INNERVIEWS on Heaven and Earth: "This is an embarrassing, appalling, intergalactic explosive turd of an album. It is a complete waste of electricity and hard drive space. Everyone involved should be utterly ashamed of themselves. And you can quote me.
    "Everything about this album is terrible. I'm surprised the production wasn't better. This is coming from someone that knows every note of every YES album, including the terrible ones. This is the lowest point in the band's history. YES is over. Face it.

"I don't understand what Steve's contribution to this album is. There's no coherence or unity in the writing and execution. The songs are barely songs. There's a loose assemblage of bits all stitched together. There are poorly conceived little instrumental interludes grafted in here and there.

"It is clear YES is nothing without the 'Napoleon' presence of an Anderson or Horn -- absolutely nothing -- just a bunch of rudderless players who wouldn't know a good song, arrangement, or production if it fell on their heads from the sky. OPEN YOUR EYES is much better. Yes, I am serious."
    I remember that Anal review from way back.
    C

"It’s 13 degrees and there’s folk in the street in the scud. No the best place, but there’s diamonds in the mud” Gerry Cinammon

Perfectly cromulent

Quote Originally Posted by Closetotheedge1972 View Post

Ouch.

I'm not saying it's not true, but still ...
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Insane Yesfan Closetotheedge1972's Avatar

I think it's pretty harsh and unwarranted. It's not my favorite Yes album, but it still has Believe Again and Subway Walls on it, two very strong cuts IMO.

Just read through the whole thing and I was glad that I got to the last question about Steve's Spirituality. The part that really cracked me up is when Steve was describing he and Jon's lyrics and said,"When I was writing before meditation, post-psychedelia, there were a lot of things I was trying to say that were quite “out there.” Jon Anderson was like that too. Sometimes we mixed my straight-ahead lyrics with his “out there” lyrics and they ended up all sounding “out there.” Sometimes Jon got credit for lyrics I wrote and vice-versa. Sometimes I got no credit and everybody thought he wrote it all. But it didn’t matter, because that’s what the Anderson/Howe team was. It’s how songs like “Awaken” and “Roundabout” happened."
    yadda~yadda - "It's the sound they make in Heaven. It's the sound for here on Earth. I hear it in the whispering of the Wonders that we search."