Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Besides the Beatles, Who Did You Love in the 60's?

Besides the Beatles, Who Did You Love in the 60's?

This came up on a Beatles thread, when someone posted that it seems that the only bands anyone thought were great in the 60's were the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Stones. While those 3 certainly made an impact on music in the 60's, they certainly weren't the only ones that people loved and listened to. And there were others who made an impact on bands to come, or the social consciousness of the day, for sure.

So, if you were lucky enough to have been around in the 60's, or came to its music later on, which bands made an impact on YOU? Who did you listen to besides the 3 mentioned above?
    Now that our server bill is just $85/month, we won't be doing donation drives; however, the occasional donation is still appreciated to make sure we keep Yesfans up and running! Please do what you can, when you can - thanks! http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm

Re: Besides the Beatles, Who Did You Love in the 60's?

I will start with a personal favorite, The Rascals. They started out as a backing band for Joey Dee, I believe, and on their own did some great covers of Wilson Pickett tunes. Their first album featured an excellent cover of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone". But their original tunes caught my interest, and all the combos of the time played them . . . "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore", "Good Lovin' ", "Love Is a Beautiful Thing", "Come On Up", "Groovin' ", "Lonely Too Long", "A Beautiful Morning", "People Got To Be Free", "See". They sang about love in all its components - from romantic love to love of mankind. And I loved them.

I have 4 of their album and 3 45's, I believe. Excellent stuff! Lead singer Felix Cavaliere still sings with "Felix Cavaliere's Rascals", and I was fortunate enough to see them about a week ago with the Nashville Symphony. A wonderful time trip!
    Now that our server bill is just $85/month, we won't be doing donation drives; however, the occasional donation is still appreciated to make sure we keep Yesfans up and running! Please do what you can, when you can - thanks! http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm

Mega Insane Yesfan

I have failed to find anything particularly appealing about the Beatles or the Beach Boys. I was born in 1959. Looking back to the 60s, the music I gravitate towards is The Doors, Zappa/Mothers, Beefheart, Cream, The Who, Dylan, The Yardbirds, Fleetwood Mac, Velvet Underground, Hendrix, and Pink Floyd. As I didn't really get into music until I was around 12 or 13, my discoveries were retrospective ones....

Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by tardistraveler View Post
    This came up on a Beatles thread, when someone posted that it seems that the only bands anyone thought were great in the 60's were the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Stones. While those 3 certainly made an impact on music in the 60's, they certainly weren't the only ones that people loved and listened to. And there were others who made an impact on bands to come, or the social consciousness of the day, for sure.

So, if you were lucky enough to have been around in the 60's, or came to its music later on, which bands made an impact on YOU? Who did you listen to besides the 3 mentioned above?
    I absolutely loved/love the 60’s era Kinks and The Who. Both bands thrived in the 70’s and 80’s, but their 60’s catalogue continues to shine for me. Another 60’s band that I often listened to was Vanilla Fudge. Psychedelic Rock was an early introduction and influence for me that made becoming a Yes fan an easy transition. Honorable mention to the Byrds and Yardbirds who also did some great things in the 60’s.

Great idea for a thread!

This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar

I was 3 in 1969 so it was mom, dad and my brother.
    Faux Speechless.

Yes-East-West-Fan

Miles!

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

I understand, from family history, that my first 45 inch single was by Ken Dodd.
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar

I didn't really listen to the radio until I was four (1970). I listened to stations that played 50s and 60s songs without any distinction and that naturally lead to the Carpenters, Chicago, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nilsson etc. but I didn't know what was old and new, Platters vs Spinners...

So I have little experience with music in the 60s. I remember watching Saturday cartoons while I was in the hospital having my tonsils removed but that too was maybe 1970.
    Faux Speechless.

the former Cosmicsurfer Ian Burdon's Avatar

I have said many, many times, that if I could find someone who sings as well as Judith Durham I'd form a Seekers tribute act without hesitation.
    This individual's sentience has been removed due to a terms of use violation

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Burdon View Post
    I have said many, many times, that if I could find someone who sings as well as Judith Durham I'd form a Seekers tribute act without hesitation.
    I think I was in love with Judith Durham when I was young.

Here's someone from the 60s who is still going strong

There are many bands of the 60s I love but I was born in the early 70s. I love the Beatles, The Mothers of Invention, The Byrds, the Hollies, Some Beach Boys, Tomorrow, The Syn, The Soft Machine...

Probably would be better as who do you love from the sixties?

Simon & Garfunkel
    The Everley Brothers
    The Small Faces
    Bob Dylan
    Shut Up

Great song. Great bass playing too.
    Universe University

In the frozen wilds of NorthernEnglandsetshire

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I have failed to find anything particularly appealing about the Beatles or the Beach Boys. I was born in 1959. Looking back to the 60s, the music I gravitate towards is The Doors, Zappa/Mothers, Beefheart, Cream, The Who, Dylan, The Yardbirds, Fleetwood Mac, Velvet Underground, Hendrix, and Pink Floyd. As I didn't really get into music until I was around 12 or 13, my discoveries were retrospective ones....
    I'm a similar vintage [born 1960] and similarly didn't seriously get interested in music until I was about 12 or 13 - my first album, on cassette being Aladdin Sane. I see the golden age of modern popular music as roughly the decade from 1966, so I'd like to think that isn't merely a matter of nostalgia for my teenage years.

But sfaic the three most important bands from that decade were the three mentioned in the OP. Some of the Beach Boys stuff in particular I think are among the most sublime pieces of pop ever produced. But put those three acts together and you have enough great music for most other decades.

I do think it is a big mistake to think they were the only important bands however, particularly as the sixties drew to a close. A lot of very influential bands have already been mentioned but we should also remember that King Crimson, Santana, Led Zeppelin and of course Yes had become active before that decade closed.

A big omission here is also the whole Motown scene - not just for the influence it had on later generations of musicians, but also for the sheer quality of a lot of the pop produced - Holland/Dozier/Holland are worth picking out and you also had early Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye.

That's not to mention people like James Brown and Aretha Franklin. No one's mentioned Van Morrison either or Love or Procul Harum.

In fact what was I saying about a golden age of pop music? I heard someone on R4 the other week saying that the album emerged as an art form in 1966. I think that's about right.

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2210 View Post
    I'm a similar vintage [born 1960] and similarly didn't seriously get interested in music until I was about 12 or 13 - my first album, on cassette being Aladdin Sane. I see the golden age of modern popular music as roughly the decade from 1966, so I'd like to think that isn't merely a matter of nostalgia for my teenage years.

But sfaic the three most important bands from that decade were the three mentioned in the OP. Some of the Beach Boys stuff in particular I think are among the most sublime pieces of pop ever produced. But put those three acts together and you have enough great music for most other decades.

I do think it is a big mistake to think they were the only important bands however, particularly as the sixties drew to a close. A lot of very influential bands have already been mentioned but we should also remember that King Crimson, Santana, Led Zeppelin and of course Yes had become active before that decade closed.

A big omission here is also the whole Motown scene - not just for the influence it had on later generations of musicians, but also for the sheer quality of a lot of the pop produced - Holland/Dozier/Holland are worth picking out and you also had early Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye.

That's not to mention people like James Brown and Aretha Franklin. No one's mentioned Van Morrison either or Love or Procul Harum.

In fact what was I saying about a golden age of pop music? I heard someone on R4 the other week saying that the album emerged as an art form in 1966. I think that's about right.
    I'd toyed with including some of those you mention (Love, Santana, a few others like Sly Stone and CSN/Buffalo Springfield), but it was already turning into just another list.....

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

The 60s were my formative years.

My mom loved music of all sorts: Classical, Musical Theatre, Sinatra, Herb Alpert & the TJB, 101 Strings.

And I had a brother who was almost four years older than I, so I was also greatly influenced by his taste in music. His taste, mostly, ran to harder-edged and "sloppy" bands: The Stones, CCR, Lou Reed, Jethro Tull, etc.

I was a real Beatles fanatic, classical, and musical theatre fan.
    ---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

Not a huge fan of 60's music. I love The Beatles, Stones, Doors, Hendrix, Zep, but mainly into stuff from the 70's onwards.

Even some big bands from the 60's left it until the 70's to become favourites - looking at you Yes, Floyd, Mac, Tull...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

As I'm probably one of the oldest Yesfans here (#67 1/2), the 60's was certainly my tapestry of musical styles. Pop, Rock, R&B, showtunes all had (have) a place in my heart. Aside from the major acts, many aforementioned; there was : Moby Grape, Grapefruit, The Knickerbockers, The Easybeats and just so many others that gave our generation so much to choose and enjoy. I feel blessed to have grown up with the 60's as my soundtrack.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing for Failure"-John R. Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Probably would be better as who do you love from the sixties?

Simon & Garfunkel
    The Everley Brothers
    The Small Faces
    Bob Dylan
    Love those artists. I'd add The Lovin Spoonful. Highly underrated as are the
    5th Dimension
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast