Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bravo Steve

Bravo Steve

The quote below was taken from an interview with Steve that came out about a week and a half ago. He has said similar things before. I’m in total agreement with the sentiment that I’d rather not have Yes attempt to create new music unless it is special and rises to the standard that they set back in the seventies. He hedged a bit after he made the comment that is highlighted but it really feels like in his heart of hearts he’d rather not force creativity that isn’t there.

AXS: How has your approach to writing new material for Yes changed over the years?

SH: Well it kind of comes in lumpy bits. The biggest lumpy bit is the best lumpy bit, which is the Yes album to Drama. I needn’t say too much about that. I’m so proud of that and I love that so much. Then comes the Union and Keys to Ascension era, a few of the tracks on Keys to Ascension were actually very good. Union was a bit of a nightmare and almost put me off making records with how much deceit and cheating went on with mixing and stuff that went on. But I’ve put it behind me. Then we went from Keys to the three albums after--Open Your Eyes, The Ladder, and Magnification--those were also a bit messy. But there’s some nice tunes and some fair playing. So 10 years later we did Fly From Here, which we just revisited with another version with Trevor Horn singing all the leads. Then we had Heaven and Earth, but it just shows you that it’s not easy writing great, new albums. The trouble is, when you’ve got so many albums out that people love, it’s hard making more that they’re gonna love as much. We were so blessed with the enjoyment we had on the first three albums and then Talesand all the adventures we went on. That’s a pretty hard act to follow. Sometimes I felt we shouldn't bother. If we can’t make an album as good as those, don’t bother.

Re: Bravo Steve

I still say they should do an album sorry but only the Yes album and close to the edge are in my top 10 the rest are more modern albums
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Although I can see where Steve is coming from, I don't necessarily agree completely. Should a chef never cook again after he's created a prize winning dish because he won't likely equal that prize winning dish?
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

I’m in total agreement with the sentiment that I’d rather not have Yes attempt to create new music unless it is special and rises to the standard that they set back in the seventies
    To me that's a loser's mentality, playing to tie instead of to win. How do you know if the music will be "special" if no attempt is made to create it? The Ladder is one of my least favorite Yes albums, for me it's miles away from rising to the "standard that they set back in the seventies", so should they perhaps have not made that album? There's a few good songs on that and pretty much all the post-80's albums that we'd never had heard, had they taken the road you advocate.
    It drives me nuts when people online don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

There so stupid.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

He is really the sole "leader" of the band now. It rests on him whether they create new music or not. Need to respect his decision not to make new music for the sake of it or just to please some people. He needs to be happy with the material and the process. I think he recognizes that the band at this point for all intents and purposes is essentially a legacy act. The way he mentions the TYA-Drama period is pretty much reflective in the setlists with just a few exceptions mainly for the 50th anniversary and the prior tour and this one decade is now essentially defining the legacy of the band's 50 year history
    Last edited by josuev80; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:35 PM.

Yes-East-West-Fan

The aim should be to make a new progressive Music not revive the 70s. He just needs some courage to make uncompromsing music with a Vision. But Steve basically did not develop much since Drama, he lives from the wide range of Music he created in the 70s till Drama. And if I hear how nostalgic that YesO now is constructed, I have my doubts if a new album will be good. Just be curious, risk something, get out of that lukewarm and flat water of of Tribute-band-Music. And please, don't let Billy Sherwood produce.

If Howe means just the general standard of 70ps Yes - the complexity, the uncompromising Music - then ok. But to attempt to create an new CTTE or a Relayer would not work. New real good Yes Music should sound like... we can't imagine now, at last can't describe… it must not even be as great as the 70s stuff or Drama, I will be fine if it Comes somewhat near.

I anyway trust YesF much more - well Rabin and Anderson, that is - if they only would get their asses high and make that Album. Rabins work till 95 is the path that would lead Yes to a new Progression... to something we can not imagine now.
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:33 PM.

"I woke to the sound of drums..." SunshipVoyager's Avatar

In theory, I don't agree- but I respect what Steve is saying and why he is saying it. I suppose the fact that for me there is around 3 1/2 albums worth of great material after GFTO spread out over 12 albums and 35-ish years probably counts for that respect!
    "He who binds to himself a joy doth the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies lives in Eternity's sunrise..." - William Blake

It's a pretty cool statement from Howe. For me the most important part in that quote isn't about whether an album gets made or not. It's about the high standard he sets for himself and the band when it comes to new music. Hard not to respect that.
    -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Although I can see where Steve is coming from, I don't necessarily agree completely. Should a chef never cook again after he's created a prize winning dish because he won't likely equal that prize winning dish?
    Let me repeat my question above.....
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Let me repeat my question above.....
    I think maybe your analogy is flawed. Howe's not giving up cooking altogether. He continues to prepare the classic dishes he helped create for people's pleasure onstage. But he doesn't seem to want to create new dishes if he feels they aren't up to the high standards of his heyday.
    -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    It's a pretty cool statement from Howe. For me the most important part in that quote isn't about whether an album gets made or not. It's about the high standard he sets for himself and the band when it comes to new music. Hard not to respect that.
    Yeah. That's the core of it.

Howe's also said that they will be getting together to look at, and appraise, everyones new material prior to going into a studio in 2019.
    -----
    paul
    -----

I strongly disagree with the quotes in the original post. With all due respect to Steve Howe, who's music with Yes and Asia I've enjoyed so much through the years and continue to enjoy, I don't think there's really any life in a band that's stopped making new music. That's a generalization, not a knock on Yes Official or Yes featuring ARW or anything else specifically.

You don't have to do an album that's as good as your very best stuff to justify the album being made. There are a lot of people, maybe not compared to the 70s and 80s, but a lot in general terms (Maybe 100k or more), who just want new Yes music made in the Yes style by the people who are in Yes. Sure, you may not be about to do the next The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, or Drama, but you can come up with something people will enjoy. In fact, there are people who do enjoy many of the albums that occurred after Drama- and I am not just talking about the ones with big hits later in the 80s. You can find people here who really like any given Yes album from the 90s, 00s, and 10s. Others don't, but, hey, not everyone liked the 70s stuff either (Rolling Stone, for example).

A lot of people didn't think they should have done Drama, but they've certainly embraced it retroactively. I'm not sure Steve thought they should have done The Ladder, but they are doing what I'm told is a beautiful version of "Nine Voices" from it on tour. "In the Presence Of" from Magnification is a single song that I'd put on a "Best of Yes" CD without hesitation.

I love 90125 and Big Generator, Steve doesn't. No need to get into that here, except to say that obviously I was not alone- those albums were massive successes commercially. The ones after weren't, but they sold well enough that Yes keeps getting offers from smaller labels and specialty imprints from major labels to make new albums- so enough people buy them to justify that. Yes is now a niche band, but it's loved within it's niche. Sure, we all argue about it, but we argue because we care. Since it doesn't directly effect our lives, we'd just check out on it if we didn't care. We haven't, so obviously we do.

Heaven and Earth had problems, but so did Tormato. There are still some good songs on those albums, and some people who like the albums as a whole despite the general consensus. It's better to do something than nothing. If we decide we don't like it, we just stop listening to it. Easy enough, right? But if we can find even one or two great new Yes tunes we as individuals love, I think most of us would feel it was worth it and that we're glad to have it.

It can also be a situation where a given individual finds one album worthwhile and not the next or vice-versa. Maybe someone who likes easy-listening is really into Heaven and Earth, but they follow it up with a somewhat harder rocking album that attracts folks who didn't care for Heaven and Earth as much, but not the hypothetical guy who did. Even if any given fan just likes every other album, again, that is still something that enriches their lives as fans, and that is an audience for the artist. And I think most fans can find something even on albums that aren't their favored direction.

I can understand where one individual in a band may reach the point where they feel like "Hey, I've done all the music I want to do in this format, I'm done", but that's probably the point where he should quit the band and pass the torch, or agree to a situation where the rest of the band hits the studio and he guests here and there on their new Yes album, playing what he's asked to play and adding some extra touches, and if he wants to keep touring with the band, great.

But I think honestly turning Yes into a touring-only legacy band is poor stewardship. Steve Howe is a guitar legend and deserves kudos for establishing a lot of the Yes sound, and for putting together a great touring group today that performs some of the original material spectacularly live. Topographic Drama was an excellent live album. But for Yes to really be Yes, it has to record and make new music. Otherwise, it's just in that category of a band that is no longer really itself, but can't technically be called a tribute band because it has some performers from the old days, but basically is drawing from the same pool of material as a tribute band and not creating it's own stuff as a unit anymore than a tribute band is.

In a perfect world, there would be some way of giving the Yes name to someone who would do something with it creatively. Billy Sherwood would be my personal choice. If Chris Squire's wife is reading, and if she still owns Chris' shares, selling them to Billy at a fair price he can afford with the understanding that he will use his new ownership stake to make new albums would be a good choice. Chris explicitly said he wanted more Yes albums after he was gone. If there's a way to get the rights to someone who'll do it, that would be great. Preferably, someone in the current band so there is continuity. Maybe Alan White would consider pushing the envelope or selling to Billy? I don't think Billy is independently wealthy, but maybe it could be arranged so that he gets a good deal and a lengthy payment plan or something. If he had White and Squire's combined shares, he probably could go in the studio and do Yes albums regularly just like Chris wanted, and Steve could either participate or choose not to participate.

I am not sure I like that Steve is "the decider" for Yes these days. He's a great guitarist and I love the guy's musical contributions to Yes over the years, but he is definitely impeding Yes' ability to keep going as an entity that regularly creates, which is ironic for the guy who played on the first Yes album not to contain any cover songs.

It is what it is, we can't do anything about it as fans, but my opinion, for what it's worth, is that I would like to see someone committed to making new Yes albums take charge, and Steve go back to playing guitar, which he does wonderfully.

Let Yes be Yes and make music. Davison, Sherwood, and Schellen I think represent an excellent trio of musicians under 60 to carry the vocals, bass, and drums who are to one degree or another experienced with making and playing Yes and Yes type music and have their own special chemistry. Downes' credentials speak for themselves as one of the elder (But not too elder) statemen who also has a lot to contribute. Howe could contribute a lot if he wants to, but they could do it without him if they had to. White I think is obviously not the drummer he once was, but he's still got his drumming brains and could do the slower songs and parts and maybe write a song here and there, and let Schellen do the heavy stuff, and still be a part of things. There are also others who could be brought in.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Yesfan

One of the reasons Grace Slick retired from making music in 1989 is because she felt that rock music was for the young and was more and more uncomfortable with the music she was producing (Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now as prime example). She stuck to her guns and stopped in her tracks. I think in a way Steve feels similarly but HE doesn't want to stop performing Yes Music ... he is extremely reluctant - on the other hand - to churn out product. I think Heaven and Earth (even though I like a few of the songs) discouraged him more than we even thought at the time. I think he was clearly, relatively, happy with the music on Fly From Here...

I think Steve believes that if they recreate the "vibe" and work conditions of the 70's they will create better music. But I think that kind of goes away with age. If he feels that they can't produce good music, or music up to snuff for Yes, then not making new music is better than turning out crap.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    [FONT=lato]The trouble is, when you’ve got so many albums out that people love, it’s hard making more that they’re gonna love as much. We were so blessed with the enjoyment we had on the first three albums and then Talesand all the adventures we went on. That’s a pretty hard act to follow. Sometimes I felt we shouldn't bother. If we can’t make an album as good as those, don’t bother.
    That's an unfortunate point to stop the quotation, because he then continues:

But the other part of me says I make solo albums. I do collaborations. And basically Yes can still make records. We’re not making any promises, but we’re going to look at some stuff after this tour and see how we feel about the music. But you’ve got to be realistic about expectations. Usually, bands like Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, they might have high expectations. “We’ll release a new record and it will be #1 in the charts.” No way! Nobody takes any notice of Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones. And it’s the same with Yes. The world doesn't move around what Yes’s next album is. It might move around what Coldplay’s next album is or some other band. So I understand that and I think we make albums for our fans. And that’s a pretty good thing.
    Almost every reply in this thread has thus misunderstood Howe's intent.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Yes-East-West-Fan

^^^

I anyway would stick to what I wrote. And I ask, for which fans shall this Album be? The ones who celebrate the heavy nostalgia that YesO is doing since some years. As the number of concertgoers seems to get smaller and smaller, I don't know how many those are? But there is also an amount of fans who are disappointed since years… like me...

Steve Howe will do what he wants to do like he does it with the live-shows, and that is fine. But this fan here is just not pleased at all with that. I will of course hope the best for a new album anyway and listen to it with the highest interest. But the word "fan" in Steves quote just irritates me the way he uses it. And I would await an YesF-album with much more expectation.

By the way, it is easy to please a Yesfan like me these days. YesF show that, what they do is already enough, just a little courage and originality is needed.

Insane Yesfan

Thank you for posting the excerpt but nothing new to me here. As you say Howe has said similar things in recent times. He is cautious and has his own standards and good on him.

The real test will be when they get together and review what they have and what they can make of it. It will require good writing not just good production

My advice to Howe - pick the best that meets the bar and release an EP if there isn't enough
    Last edited by xlink_nz; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    That's an unfortunate point to stop the quotation, because he then continues:

Almost every reply in this thread has thus misunderstood Howe's intent.

Henry
    I alluded to his hedge in my initial post. I chose to focus on his first assertion because he has said it many times before and as I said, I believe that in his heart of hearts he would prefer to take that road rather than just make another album.

I think maybe your analogy is flawed. Howe's not giving up cooking altogether. He continues to prepare the classic dishes he helped create for people's pleasure onstage. But he doesn't seem to want to create new dishes if he feels they aren't up to the high standards of his heyday.
    Spot on Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    To me that's a loser's mentality, playing to tie instead of to win. How do you know if the music will be "special" if no attempt is made to create it? The Ladder is one of my least favorite Yes albums, for me it's miles away from rising to the "standard that they set back in the seventies", so should they perhaps have not made that album? There's a few good songs on that and pretty much all the post-80's albums that we'd never had heard, had they taken the road you advocate.
    I guess it’s all a matter of perspective. Were Zeppelin losers because they couldn’t get over Bonham’s death and just get on with it? There is something to be said for having the grace to let there be a season for everything instead of trying to force something that you may not be in the flow of. Creativity is not something you can force or conjure. Steve’s words are very telling. He’s basically saying, yeah, we’ve had some moments from Union to the present but they have just been moments, not masterpieces. That’s probably fine for a lot of fans but a lot of fans just want the train to keep rolling and that’s more about them than the band itself.

Oke, you're right my analogy is flawed in that sense. But how are you going to know a new dish won't be up to the standard of heydays, when you don't create and taste it? Then it all becomes sort of a self furfilling prophecy IMO.

And even so, if they would create a masterwork like CTTE or TYA or any of the albums he holds so dear, it will likely never get the same unified reaction from fans as it did then. Opinions are going to vary more then back then I reckon, if only because of preference of lineups, vocalists, instrumentalists that vary amongst Yes fans.

To me it all sounds more like Howe is sort of scared of the public reaction ("The trouble is, when you’ve got so many albums out that people love, it’s hard making more that they’re gonna love as much.") and plays too much into that fear. There's this Dutch singer I've been following all my life, who turned 75 last year and who released a new album to go with that and he said in an interview surrounding the release:"I only make records nowadays that I like myself. I no longer make concessions. Phuck the people who think differently. In the eighties I experienced my highlight commercially, but musically this time is much more interesting. I won't let myself be put under pressure by anyone. " To me that sounds like a better state of mind concerning creating and releasing new music.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast