Google

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes feat ARW - 13 June 2018

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Re: Yes feat ARW - 13 June 2018

I'm a fan of both! Polos are quite versatile, I think.
    "If you slice me in two, I'm prog all the way through."
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by highfell View Post
    From the setlist seen on stage Perpetual has taken the place of SSOTS.
    Apparantly in New Castle they dropped PC but played SSotS, and in York they played PC but dropped SSotS. So generally we're back to a shorter set list.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Well. Where to begin?

A Yes show? Perhaps. A good show? Partially. A poor show? Partially too I'm afraid.

The good bits?

Jon. Excellent voice and great delivery. He kept his on-stage antics to a minimum and put his energy into the performance. I don't intend getting into a stupid "he's better than him" back and forth, but I'd say that there are two excellent Yes vocalists out there right now, catch them both if you get the chance. There were no massive flubs lyric wise, but I'd rather somebody had taken his harp away earlier - more of Awaken later. Finally, he introduced the band twice. I'm not sure if that was intentional or whether he'd just forgotten he'd already done it?

Iain. Great performance. Assured playing and certain of his place, supporting the piece where necessary, but ready step forward for his solo spot. I think on the whole he was mixed well something that Yes might look at as sometimes Billy has been a bit low in the mix. For my taste anyway.

Songs. I'm not the biggest Yes-West fan, BG sits firmly at the bottom of my list of Yes albums, 90125 is fair to middling and Talk sneaks into the top 5 from time to time. However, that was why I was here, to hear those Rabin associated tracks live. Other than Owner, I don't think I've seen any at a show since the Union tour and it's fair to say that a Howe led Owner is a waste of time. They were great! Even Rhythm of Love has gone up in my estimation. All these songs had plenty of bounce and were good strong performances. Slight fly in the ointment was Trevor's propensity to stick a bit of guitar histrionics in there which spoiled it a little for me - more of Trevor later. I am Waiting. No, that's the name of the song, not my opinion - it was fabulous! Rick played some nice parts on this track and it was a great group piece with contributions from everyone. Otherwise I feel that Rick was rather MIA on the Yes-West stuff - more of Rick later.

The not so good stuff?

Lou. Hey this guy wasn't bad, just a bit plodding. Did he link in with Iain as an amazing rhythm section? Not really. Other than the bass drum, a deal of it was quite low in the mix and he just didn't shine in the way that Jay Schellen did earlier in the year. Was it the material? Maybe, he could push the Yes-West stuff along nicely which was great. But I didn't really hear much of a contribution to the classic Yes songs.

The Classic Yes songs. Oh dear, this is where it all goes pear shaped. In my humble estimation anyway. And it all started out quite brightly too! Perpetual Change and All Good People were fun and Trevor's over-the-toppery was limited. Rick add a few nice flourishes without being verbose and the both songs held together nicely. Then AYAI. Sweet Jesus, don't ever accuse Yes of plodding! This had all the energy of a nag that's ready for the knackers yard. Slow and lacking in energy even when Rick was trying to cram that extra note into every nook and cranny. Trevor was notable for any real contribution until he stepped up for his "solos". It was all I could do not to bolt for the door. After the break and the awesomeness of IAW, settle back into your seats for HOTS. A good start with the heavy riffing and some tight playing, then it all just flopped in the middle like a week old souffle. I can't honestly say I've ever sat thinking about work at a Yes concert; I did last night. Surely I've saved the best for last, Awaken right? Hells teeth, this was excrucating! Again Trevor had little to say other than stepping forward and throttling his guitar at a million notes per minute. When he stepped back, Rick who'd obviously been listening and learning, stepped forward and proceeded to do the same on the keyboards. No restraint, no beauty, just breakneck wankery. Then they're all at it, everybody's jamming man! But I don't think any one of them was playing the same piece of music and Jon was obliviously singing away over it all. If that's your idea of "high vibrations" you can keep it.

Trevor. Great on his own stuff (bar the screeching "improvisations"), brought nothing of note to the table for the classic pieces. You can tell how bad his solos are by the excruciating faces he pulls when playing them; it looks like he's laying down a turd and aurally that's pretty spot on. Singing; he tried and it was good as backing vocals, but as a lead he's pretty shot.

Rick. As we left the car park to go to the venue, we saw a drunk. I suspect he programmed Rick's keyboards for the nights festivities. As I've already said, not a sniff of him on most of the Yes-West stuff and that was fine. So he shone on the classic stuff then, his true forte? No, he bloody well didn't. Rick, ditch the cape, buy some decent clothes (Jon will help you I'm sure) then apply some similar restraint to your playing. Everything was overplayed; I get that you can get more notes in a bar than Norris McWhirter can get Chinese people in a Mini, but the question is why? Why would you want to other than to out-do your guitar pal? Rein it in. Then there are those keyboard sounds. Maybe it was the auditorium dynamics and because I was sat at such a skewed angle. Or maybe it was just that they were excruciatingly bad; poor, poor choices. Absolutely killed Awaken stone dead.

Walkabout. Was that for real?? Who was actually playing while Rick and Trevor wandered around? It wasn't them half of the time that's for sure. And Rick for sure was wandering; he looked like he'd left the stage then got lost. Possibly a great novelty for the first tour, just a boring interlude now.

Lighting. The fact that AYAI was so bad was only aggravated by it being pink too. The lights overall were very basic, not a patch on the Yes stage. And who the hell thought it was a great idea to regularly shine bright white floods into the audience? Painful.

So there you have it. A real curate's egg. I've probably overplayed the bad bits, but they were there for sure. I'm glad I went but I probably wouldn't go again unless there were major changes to the setlist to feature much more Yes-West stuff. That would leave Rick pretty redundant and it could become Yes feat AR. As much was made of Trevor and Rick wanting to play together as part of the reason for this group, I don't think it will happen. Unless Rick gets bored which judging by last night, ain't unlikely.
    Shut Up

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I'm a fan of both! Polos are quite versatile, I think.
    You really need to look at how often Polos have been in the fashion charts compared with T-shirts. Are you comparing thread-count with thread-count? What awards has each design garnered at various clothing shows around the globe? You can't just give an opinion without over-analysing it to the nth degree...
    Shut Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Apparantly in New Castle they dropped PC but played SSotS, and in York they played PC but dropped SSotS. So generally we're back to a shorter set list.
    I'm glad we got Perpetual Change rather than SSotS.
    Shut Up

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Well. Where to begin?

A Yes show? Perhaps. A good show? Partially. A poor show? Partially too I'm afraid.

The good bits?

Jon. Excellent voice and great delivery. He kept his on-stage antics to a minimum and put his energy into the performance. I don't intend getting into a stupid "he's better than him" back and forth, but I'd say that there are two excellent Yes vocalists out there right now, catch them both if you get the chance. There were no massive flubs lyric wise, but I'd rather somebody had taken his harp away earlier - more of Awaken later. Finally, he introduced the band twice. I'm not sure if that was intentional or whether he'd just forgotten he'd already done it?

Iain. Great performance. Assured playing and certain of his place, supporting the piece where necessary, but ready step forward for his solo spot. I think on the whole he was mixed well something that Yes might look at as sometimes Billy has been a bit low in the mix. For my taste anyway.

Songs. I'm not the biggest Yes-West fan, BG sits firmly at the bottom of my list of Yes albums, 90125 is fair to middling and Talk sneaks into the top 5 from time to time. However, that was why I was here, to hear those Rabin associated tracks live. Other than Owner, I don't think I've seen any at a show since the Union tour and it's fair to say that a Howe led Owner is a waste of time. They were great! Even Rhythm of Love has gone up in my estimation. All these songs had plenty of bounce and were good strong performances. Slight fly in the ointment was Trevor's propensity to stick a bit of guitar histrionics in there which spoiled it a little for me - more of Trevor later. I am Waiting. No, that's the name of the song, not my opinion - it was fabulous! Rick played some nice parts on this track and it was a great group piece with contributions from everyone. Otherwise I feel that Rick was rather MIA on the Yes-West stuff - more of Rick later.

The not so good stuff?

Lou. Hey this guy wasn't bad, just a bit plodding. Did he link in with Iain as an amazing rhythm section? Not really. Other than the bass drum, a deal of it was quite low in the mix and he just didn't shine in the way that Jay Schellen did earlier in the year. Was it the material? Maybe, he could push the Yes-West stuff along nicely which was great. But I didn't really hear much of a contribution to the classic Yes songs.

The Classic Yes songs. Oh dear, this is where it all goes pear shaped. In my humble estimation anyway. And it all started out quite brightly too! Perpetual Change and All Good People were fun and Trevor's over-the-toppery was limited. Rick add a few nice flourishes without being verbose and the both songs held together nicely. Then AYAI. Sweet Jesus, don't ever accuse Yes of plodding! This had all the energy of a nag that's ready for the knackers yard. Slow and lacking in energy even when Rick was trying to cram that extra note into every nook and cranny. Trevor was notable for any real contribution until he stepped up for his "solos". It was all I could do not to bolt for the door. After the break and the awesomeness of IAW, settle back into your seats for HOTS. A good start with the heavy riffing and some tight playing, then it all just flopped in the middle like a week old souffle. I can't honestly say I've ever sat thinking about work at a Yes concert; I did last night. Surely I've saved the best for last, Awaken right? Hells teeth, this was excrucating! Again Trevor had little to say other than stepping forward and throttling his guitar at a million notes per minute. When he stepped back, Rick who'd obviously been listening and learning, stepped forward and proceeded to do the same on the keyboards. No restraint, no beauty, just breakneck wankery. Then they're all at it, everybody's jamming man! But I don't think any one of them was playing the same piece of music and Jon was obliviously singing away over it all. If that's your idea of "high vibrations" you can keep it.

Trevor. Great on his own stuff (bar the screeching "improvisations"), brought nothing of note to the table for the classic pieces. You can tell how bad his solos are by the excruciating faces he pulls when playing them; it looks like he's laying down a turd and aurally that's pretty spot on. Singing; he tried and it was good as backing vocals, but as a lead he's pretty shot.

Rick. As we left the car park to go to the venue, we saw a drunk. I suspect he programmed Rick's keyboards for the nights festivities. As I've already said, not a sniff of him on most of the Yes-West stuff and that was fine. So he shone on the classic stuff then, his true forte? No, he bloody well didn't. Rick, ditch the cape, buy some decent clothes (Jon will help you I'm sure) then apply some similar restraint to your playing. Everything was overplayed; I get that you can get more notes in a bar than Norris McWhirter can get Chinese people in a Mini, but the question is why? Why would you want to other than to out-do your guitar pal? Rein it in. Then there are those keyboard sounds. Maybe it was the auditorium dynamics and because I was sat at such a skewed angle. Or maybe it was just that they were excruciatingly bad; poor, poor choices. Absolutely killed Awaken stone dead.

Walkabout. Was that for real?? Who was actually playing while Rick and Trevor wandered around? It wasn't them half of the time that's for sure. And Rick for sure was wandering; he looked like he'd left the stage then got lost. Possibly a great novelty for the first tour, just a boring interlude now.

Lighting. The fact that AYAI was so bad was only aggravated by it being pink too. The lights overall were very basic, not a patch on the Yes stage. And who the hell thought it was a great idea to regularly shine bright white floods into the audience? Painful.

So there you have it. A real curate's egg. I've probably overplayed the bad bits, but they were there for sure. I'm glad I went but I probably wouldn't go again unless there were major changes to the setlist to feature much more Yes-West stuff. That would leave Rick pretty redundant and it could become Yes feat AR. As much was made of Trevor and Rick wanting to play together as part of the reason for this group, I don't think it will happen. Unless Rick gets bored which judging by last night, ain't unlikely.
    Thanks for your elaborate review. No doubt some people will say you were bound to give such a review as your such a h8ter I have to say I had a better experience than you when I saw them last year. Apart from agreeing on AYAI, which I really think has lost its emotional impact in this arrangement they play, I really thought they were playing well and it seemed both Trevor and Rick were more reigned in than you describe here and from what footage I've seen and heard from the current tour so far. Loved HotSR and Awaken particularly last year.

One other thing I do agree on is that although Rick and Trevor are best mates and really want to play with each other, and that of course is their right, I also have my doubts whether their playing styles are really that compatable. I think the Howe/Wakeman combination or the Rabin/Kaye combination for that matter always worked much better. Especially the Howe/Wakeman combination often was more than the sum of its parts and for me the same thing can not be said about the Rabin/Wakeman combination.
    Last edited by Mr. Holland; 06-14-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

I love how so many hammered on TR for being to over the top in the early years of his YES tenure. He is the most pulled back on NON TR music these last tours he ever has and he still is not good enough. If you want to hear SH then go so YESo. We are so lucky to have both. :)
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Well. Where to begin?

The good bits?

The not so good stuff?

And no mention of your unicorn t-shirt and the garlands you threw at Jon’s feet? I am really disappointed Yorky, what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    I love how so many hammered on TR for being to over the top in the early years of his YES tenure. He is the most pulled back on NON TR music these last tours he ever has and he still is not good enough. If you want to hear SH then go so YESo. We are so lucky to have both. :)
    I believe that it is possible to play classic Yes tunes in a non-Steve Howe style and make them listenable. Trevor Rabin doesn't achieve this.
    Shut Up

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    And no mention of your unicorn t-shirt and the garlands you threw at Jon’s feet? I am really disappointed Yorky, what gives?
    We ate the daises while waiting for our starter at the Italian restaurant before the show. I didn't think my apparel warranted mention and I couldn't get the tepee past security. We did take some snacks for during the show though...

Shut Up

We ate the daises while waiting for our starter at the Italian restaurant before the show. I didn't think my apparel warranted mention and I couldn't get the tepee past security. We did take some snacks for during the show though...

Thank you,now was that so hard?

Yes-East-West-Fan

I am very happy that Trevor Rabin is in Yes again... he treats Yesmusic with the special respect it needs, he let it breath and makes it live and what it genuinly is, a living Adventure.

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    I am very happy that Trevor Rabin is in Yes again... he treats Yesmusic with the special respect it needs, he let it breath and makes it live and what it genuinly is, a living Adventure.
    Sorry Peter I don't view him as being in YES again
    And why don't people see the honesty of the last review
    It' all over social media about his awful guitar playing and ARW's shoddy treatment of YES classics
    But he was much better on the UK tour last time , so what's going on , change his guitar tech , change guitar
    Sadly I dont see much future for this line up

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Thank you,now was that so hard?
    No, it was quite soft and a little damp at the edges...
    Shut Up

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    It should come right after "Cinema," IMO, I don't think it fits in any other spot.
    Totally agree, it makes for a very exciting opening 1-2 punch.

There was NEVER a future. It was a 3-5 year run, they said it themselves in the beginning. The same social media (is saying they sound good right now and did in past tours) you use to say TR is horrible you seem to not have used to see that this was never a long term future thing. Arrrrrrg.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    Sorry Peter I don't view him as being in YES again
    And why don't people see the honesty of the last review
    It' all over social media about his awful guitar playing and ARW's shoddy treatment of YES classics
    But he was much better on the UK tour last time , so what's going on , change his guitar tech , change guitar
    Sadly I dont see much future for this line up
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    Peter, I'm happy that you're happy! Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of people there who were enthused by his playing of the classics. But it's not for me. Yes-West is a different kettle of fish. I'd happily sit through a set of solely 90125, Talk and a sprinkling of BG from this band.
    Shut Up

Insane Yesfan

Nobodies perfect especially at this age. A lot of YES fans are dead or cannot walk. I have nine friends I used to see YES with and they are all gone. Art and age do not mix, this is what they mean when the youth eat their young, there are 8 year old drummers that are better than most who are over fifty on U-tube. I am sure it hurt Keith Emmerson to see young people play his music better than him being the pioneer he was. Ginger Baker's son in a Rolling Stone interview said that he is probably technically better than his dad seeing that drumming has come long way since then. George Martin's son said his dad had a fear that he would become more successful than him. Also, Rick fell and couldn't get up so one of his hands is messed up right now too. It is so easy to sing in the shower and then go to a show and criticize a bunch of old people playing the same stuff you have heard fifty times, I have anyway, but it would be fun to show up at your job today, if you have one, and compare you to your best works you did when you were twenty. I am sure you are all doing just stellar! Enjoy your life, what little you have left and hope you did something to be remembered in the history books for cuz these guys have done that and you have not!

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

There was NEVER a future. It was a 3-5 year run, they said it themselves in the beginning. The same social media (is saying they sound good right now and did in past tours) you use to say TR is horrible you seem to not have used to see that this was never a long term future thing. Arrrrrrg.
    It's a shame but please understand the UK gig i went to last year was excellent and so was TR
    I am still mightly interested in what the new material will bring

Great review Yorkshire! I agree with many of your points, only I thought seeing Rick in all his glory was one of the highlights back in 2016..and thought his sound choices were much better than previously...not sure if that has changed again.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast