Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Claims Squire's Wife Said "Maybe" ARW Could Use the Yes Name

Anderson Claims Squire's Wife Said "Maybe" ARW Could Use the Yes Name

Here's the relevant excerpt:

I owned the name and Chris Squire and Alan White owned the name. His wife said that when Chris leaves us maybe we could use the name.
    Source 1: https://www.metalexpressradio.com/jo...-years-of-yes/
    Source 2: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/two-y...-jon-anderson/

Well, what do you folks think, did Scotty and Jon actually have that conversation prior to Chris' death?

That Steve Howe isn't mentioned as one of what we thought were four co-owners of the Yes name is interesting. Just an oversight, or is it possible that we are wrong about Steve owning part of the name?

Another oddity here is that Jon says relations are good between Yes and, er, Yes, and implies that they always have been. Obviously, that's not true, but its an interesting change in strategy. Has ARW finally looked over at Yes Official, realized that they were seeing all good people, and decided to give peace a chance?

This is more entertaining than most television shows. Lots of twists and turns and mysteries to unravel. Being a Yes fan certainly isn't boring.

Also, apparently that EP is now an album again and they've got an hour recorded... Apparently. Stay tuned next month when they say they've got 22 minutes, paired it with animation, and are hoping to sell it a televison network to air in a half hour time slot. By August, it could be a 12 minute interactive video game instead! Buy your VR headset now.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Re: Anderson Claims Squire's Wife Said "Maybe" ARW Could Use the Yes Name

I think you need to distinct between owning the name, owning the company and owning the logo. Often those get mixed up in discussions. The name as it stands seems to be co-owned indeed by Anderson, White and formally Squire and now Squire's heirs. The YesLlc company seems to be co-owned now by Howe and White and the logo seems to be co-owned by Howe and Dean.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

I'm not sure anyone "owns" the name.

It would be hard to imagine that anyone would rule against the band Yes from using that name. Other people may have agreed or negotiated rights to use the name in a certain style eg "Yes featuring ARW".

It is worth noting that Anderson's claim to rights in the name have been neither proven nor disproved in a court of law. He (along with his apparently reluctant cohorts) seem to have stated a claim in the name in the stated format, to which Yes (the band) appear to have respond with a, "Meh, carry on..."

As Mr H rightly states, rights in the name is totally separate from ownership of a trading entity or ownership of trademarks, logos etc including, but not limited to, the Dean logo.
    You little punks think you own this town

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    I think you need to distinct between owning the name, owning the company and owning the logo. Often those get mixed up in discussions. The name as it stands seems to be co-owned indeed by Anderson, White and formally Squire and now Squire's heirs.
    Not sure that I've heard that last bit confirmed anywhere.

The YesLlc company seems to be co-owned now by Howe and White
    And Downes ... apparently (or is that just for the YesLLC touring company??)

and the logo seems to be co-owned by Howe and Dean.
    The "bubble" logo, yes.

And @DBAR... we don't know if Anderson and Scotty had that discussion prior to Chris passing away or after. Or when, or if at all. Chris passed away in June 2015. ARW started using Yes in their name from the beginning of 2017 (a year after they officially started activity) but didn't officially change their name to YesFARW until a couple of days after the R&RHoF (April 2017)
    -----
    paul
    -----

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Also, apparently that EP is now an album again and they've got an hour recorded... Apparently.
    Ooh, they have to stop toying with me like that. I get up, I get down...

Mega Insane Yesfan

Care do I still not.

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

^
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    ^
    +1
    ^
    -----
    paul
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post

And @DBAR... we don't know if Anderson and Scotty had that discussion prior to Chris passing away or after. Or when, or if at all. Chris passed away in June 2015. ARW started using Yes in their name from the beginning of 2017 (a year after they officially started activity) but didn't officially change their name to YesFARW until a couple of days after the R&RHoF (April 2017)
    Well, Anderson's claim seems to be that Mrs. Squire told him this *before* Chris died, as Jon speaks of her talking of Chris' death as a future event. Whether she ever said that to Jon is questionable, though- Chris seemed very invested in Yes official contnuing on without him, taking time while on his deathbed to persuade Billy to be his handpicked successor, and strongly encouraging Yes to make new music and carry on indefinitely into the future as a creative entity that he birthed and wanted to outlive him and carry on his legacy beyond his last breath. It would seem odd to me if, with Chris feeling so strongly about that, his wife called up Jon as Chris was dying and said maybe you can use the name, too, potentially undermining the business prospects and long-term viability of the band Chris seened very emotionally invested in carrying on the Yes legacy.

My hunch would be that Jon is either making this up, misremembering, or misinterpreting. I don't know the folks involved, and obviously was not privy to the alleged conversation, but I have trouble believing it happened as Jon describes if it happened at all. I also have some qualms about Squire and his widow being used the way they have been rhetorically by ARW after his death when he is no longer able to respond when Chris clearly favored the other side while he was alive. Certainly, I can't imagine Chris being happy when A, R, and W all vetoed his handpicked successor playing bass on either song performed at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, even suggesting Lee Pomeroy over Billy. Billy was Chris' chosen successor and seems to have meant a great deal to him.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 1 Week Ago at 06:10 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

My hunch would be that Jon is either making this up, misremembering, or misinterpreting.
    My hunch is that if Anderson/Lane had thought they could have gotten away with using the Yes name earlier they would have. They didn't start using (unofficially) Yes feat until a year and a half after Chris passed away. Jon's fibbing.
    -----
    paul
    -----

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

^
    +1

lol
    Where are we up to now ?

Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    I'm not sure anyone "owns" the name.

It would be hard to imagine that anyone would rule against the band Yes from using that name. Other people may have agreed or negotiated rights to use the name in a certain style eg "Yes featuring ARW".

It is worth noting that Anderson's claim to rights in the name have been neither proven nor disproved in a court of law. He (along with his apparently reluctant cohorts) seem to have stated a claim in the name in the stated format, to which Yes (the band) appear to have respond with a, "Meh, carry on..."

As Mr H rightly states, rights in the name is totally separate from ownership of a trading entity or ownership of trademarks, logos etc including, but not limited to, the Dean logo.
    Yes has used more than two logos over 50 years and it's hard to keep a trademark the word 'Yes' when you have a bazillion other PRODUCTS and services with that appellation.

I THINK that included the outfit in charge of New York Yankees broadcasts once? Have to look that up.

As Luna is aware (much to her chagrin and ire), that includes a sensual lubricant or something. It was a detergent, maybe a candy bar.
    If I don't really exist then at over 10,700 posts my nothingness has longevity, if not serious mojo.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Well, what do you folks think, did Scotty and Jon actually have that conversation prior to Chris' death?
    Do I think that? No, I don't. Does it matter what I think? No, it doesn't.

I think Jon says a lot of things, and they're "true" for him, at least.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

SR Mega Yesfan

I think you need to distinct between owning the name, owning the company and owning the logo. Often those get mixed up in discussions. The name as it stands seems to be co-owned indeed by Anderson, White and formally Squire and now Squire's heirs. The YesLlc company seems to be co-owned now by Howe and White and the logo seems to be co-owned by Howe and Dean.
    When you say the name, I think you mean a particular trademark. That's not the same thing. Also, it's unclear whether Squire's co-ownership was inherited.

Also, remember in all of this that Anderson claims Squire's ghost talks to him...

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

I don’t know what conversations Anderson has or hasn’t had with the Squire family, but is there not a recent interview with Alan White where he corroborates the information that he and Anderson own the band name and that Howe and Dean own the classic logo?

If the Squire estate has any stake in the band name then couldn’t they cast a deciding vote and “block” one band or the other? So it seems like Squire’s stake in the name has either passed to Anderson and White equally or that the Squire family is opting to stay the heck out of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Love is bigger than anything in its way.”-U2

SR Mega Yesfan

^ White said, "It’s a lot of business stuff. We own the name. They own the name. Jon Anderson and I own it, but the logo we own, because Steve Howe owns most of the logo."

That's not 100% clear, but it appears that by "it", White means that he and Anderson own a key trademark, so yes. However, owning the trademark doesn't automatically mean you can call yourselves "Yes".

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    ^ White said, "It’s a lot of business stuff. We own the name. They own the name. Jon Anderson and I own it, but the logo we own, because Steve Howe owns most of the logo."

That's not 100% clear, but it appears that by "it", White means that he and Anderson own a key trademark, so yes. However, owning the trademark doesn't automatically mean you can call yourselves "Yes".

Henry
    In business law with each principal owning 50% (the name Yes as a entertainment entity) each one has equal rights to use the trademark. Howe was right to say why waste 2 million pounds going to court, let’s move on.

Yesfan

I think in this entire mess about who owns what, it becomes very clear to me that Steve was incredibly smart to still retain a stake in Yes LLC all these years, as well as co-owning the classic Yes logo with Dean ... and Anderson, White and Squire were equally as smart in owning the Yes trademark. Which has likely resulted in our current detente.

All I know is I saw Yes Official in Denver last night and they were damn good. Glad we get to see so much Yes preforming today

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Care do I still not.
    Sense the dark side in you I do.
    Talk like Yoda I will
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Super Yesfan

^
    +2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast