Thread: YES feat. ARW: Thu 7th June – Oslo, Norway

New to the site

YES feat. ARW: Thu 7th June – Oslo, Norway

Just a few hours to the concert. Looking forward to hearing ARW again.

We have travelled from Sweden to Oslo and are also going to see ARW in Copenhagen and London.

Re: YES feat. ARW: Thu 7th June – Oslo, Norway

Have a great time and please report back here!
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Super Insane Yesfan

Just watched Awaken. Very good!
    C

"It’s 13 degrees and there’s folk in the street in the scud. No the best place, but there’s diamonds in the mud” Gerry Cinammon

Sounds great to me. I like this bass player, he has more of the Chris Squire 'growl' to my ears. And what all the online blather about Rabin being 'out of tune' is all about I don't know (well I do actually), he sounds fine and looks like he's enjoying the music.
    Universe University

To be honest, the videos I’ve seen so far are quite underwhelming. I saw the Intro/Cinema/Hold On video and that was disastrous. Before I’m accused of ganging up on one side the YesO video of the end of CTTE & Nine Voices was also a bit offensive to these ears! Sherwood hit several wrong bass notes at the end of CTTE...I’m hopeful both bands will improve as their respective tours progress.
    yesmike0215

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
    Sounds great to me. I like this bass player, he has more of the Chris Squire 'growl' to my ears. And what all the online blather about Rabin being 'out of tune' is all about I don't know (well I do actually), he sounds fine and looks like he's enjoying the music.
    You are absolutely right with both observations… Judging from my show on tuesday I say Hornal is summa summarum a win and Rabin is in fine form, he makes Yesmusic really lively. The Rabin-crticism seems really unjustified and dubious to me, again...

yeah Iain is a much better fit soundise and musically. Why do they insist with Pomeroy ? Let Lee play with Take That and get Iain full time with ARW. I really like that HotS !

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Because Lee is Rick's bass player of choice, he knows the catalog, and he's got a great reputation when it comes to playing with prog rock legacy outfits.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Because Lee is Rick's bass player of choice, he knows the catalog, and he's got a great reputation when it comes to playing with prog rock legacy outfits.
    Lee is Rick's onstage pal. They play games together to make each other laugh.
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

That too! Lee loves to do that kind of stuff - I'll never forget how hard I laughed the first time I watched video of Headspace performing "Daddy Fcuking Loves You" and realized Lee was making faces at Pete to get him to laugh during a particularly complicated part of the song.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

New to the site

Here is my short report (not a full review) from the Oslo concert. (Disclaimer: I'm primarily a Rick Wakeman fan, secondly a Jon Anderson fan and mainly enjoy Yes music from the 70ies.)

The concert had both positive and negative aspects. Seeing and hearing Jon and Rick singing and playing together with competent musicians is always a pleasure. I like being impressed by virtuoso musicians performing difficult music well. And ARW offered a lot of that. Trevor Rabin has improved considerably compared to 2017, both in his guitar technique and his vocal performance. With four vocalists available the vocals were mostly very good. Even though the setlist isn't all new, some arrangements have changed and now offer a fresh take on the well known songs. The concert venue was almost sold out.

However, not everything was perfect. The sound was suboptimal, sometimes making Trevor appear to be playing in a different key than the rest of the group (which I don't think he did, it was just caused by a too dense mix.) Sadly, a few times Trevors guitar WAS out of tune with the keyboards and bass. Rick had some technical problems with a few keyboards, but as the professional he is he simply played the parts on other keyboards. Jon's voice is timbrally intact, but he is gradually losing his ability to sing high notes. The intro music was incoherent and not impressive.

In summary I had hoped for a better concert. However, in this case the positives outweigh the negatives, so I'm happy to have seen ARW in Oslo and look forward to the concerts in Copenhagen and London.

Mahalo for the review flowerp Disappointing to hear the mixed review but really interested to read your posts on your upcoming concerts with ARW Please keep us informed and observations
    Close To The Edge of a Topographical Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp on Attack View Post
    yeah Iain is a much better fit soundise and musically. Why do they insist with Pomeroy ? Let Lee play with Take That and get Iain full time with ARW. I really like that HotS !
    I agree. Seems like his bass playing and vocal have a little more bite. Very tasteful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddr View Post
    Mahalo for the review flowerp Disappointing to hear the mixed review but really interested to read your posts on your upcoming concerts with ARW Please keep us informed and observations
    Yeah, thanks for the review and look forward to how the other shows you attend compare. I have heard some sour/out of tune notes form Trevor too. Maybe he needs a new strat or some work on his old guitars... It's not like wrong parts (not too many), just a hair pitchy in spots. When I saw him on Union and Talk tours he (and the band) was immaculate. I don't remember any of these problems. As the tour warms up I'm sure the band will too, like last year.

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I agree. Seems like his bass playing and vocal have a little more bite. Very tasteful too.

Yeah, thanks for the review and look forward to how the other shows you attend compare. I have heard some sour/out of tune notes form Trevor too. Maybe he needs a new strat or some work on his old guitars... It's not like wrong parts (not too many), just a hair pitchy in spots. When I saw him on Union and Talk tours he (and the band) was immaculate. I don't remember any of these problems. As the tour warms up I'm sure the band will too, like last year.
    I'd be interested to know what lies behind these reports of TR playing out of tune notes. If the intonation on one of his guitars was out, that would mean the neck was warped or badly in need of a reset. He would surely notice that in the feel of playing and it is easily fixed by a good tech. Or it could mean that his string bending has become inaccurate at times, hence an occasional out of tune note. Or it could mean that he forgets the chords sometimes and plays out of key with the wrong scales. Or maybe his jazz fusion improvising takes him into some wilder places that some of the audience don't follow. I've heard Steve Howe do some things over Sweet Dreams recently that made me think "really?", but it obviously made sense to him. Or has TR got some incipient hearing problems and when playing by feel on stage sometimes misses the mark and can't tell? I haven't heard any of the evidence to tell which, if any, might be the case.
    Universe University

Yesfan

I can’t speak for everyone but I, for one, have heard some bends not quite get there both live but mostly on bootlegs (YouTube etc). His guitar I’ve also noted go out of tune at times, and those 2 things often go hand in hand. This happens to everyone really throughout a concert especially if you bend strings lots. Maybe what goes on here is that either his choice of gear is less “stable” or he performs fewer checks in between songs. Some people adjust on the fly either by overbending or even returning through a song. Maybe Trevor just gets through the song and reviews later and that’s why on occasion it is noted by people.
    Waiemans keyboards shouldn’t go out of tune so they’re a good reference with the big expection if the 2 minimoogs pf course

Quote Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
    I can’t speak for everyone but I, for one, have heard some bends not quite get there both live but mostly on bootlegs (YouTube etc). His guitar I’ve also noted go out of tune at times, and those 2 things often go hand in hand. This happens to everyone really throughout a concert especially if you bend strings lots. Maybe what goes on here is that either his choice of gear is less “stable” or he performs fewer checks in between songs. Some people adjust on the fly either by overbending or even returning through a song. Maybe Trevor just gets through the song and reviews later and that’s why on occasion it is noted by people.
    Waiemans keyboards shouldn’t go out of tune so they’re a good reference with the big expection if the 2 minimoogs pf course
    Good points. String slippage is very possible, especially on an unmodified Strat. But again there are readily available solutions if that's the issue.
    Universe University