Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: “We are starting to share things and have some plans” Steve howe

“We are starting to share things and have some plans” Steve howe

Most positive Steve has been about s new album

https://crypticrock.com/interview-steve-howe-of-yes/
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: “We are starting to share things and have some plans” Steve howe

Inching forward, v-e-r-r-r-r-y s-s-s-l-l-l-o-w-l-l-y.................

Was this interview translated from another language?

Trevor Horn may join them here and there (in the States)?
    -----
    paul
    -----

The porridge was always an illusion Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    Inching forward, v-e-r-r-r-r-y s-s-s-l-l-l-o-w-l-l-y.................
    Not everyone could be Benny Hill...

Fighting to save the world now that the lie of the porridge is revealed. After some bacon.

Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Most positive Steve has been about s new album

https://crypticrock.com/interview-steve-howe-of-yes/
    Well when I read the rest of the quote it is far from certain, however it would appear he is indeed 'inching' forward i.e. the good news is they have put time aside over the 6 months to develop presumably new music

Steve Howe – We are starting to share things and have some plans, but nothing official. There is a lot of interest, but nothing until we internally have that feeling that we are growing the music together. We may put some time aside over the next 6 months to do a little more of that, it could be very productive. It has to be right, it has to feel right. We have to assemble an outer shell that helps us make the record. It could be exciting, but there are no actual plans or a date or anything like that.
    Last edited by xlink_nz; 06-03-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Re: “We are starting to share things and have some plans, but nothing official”

The title of the thread must have inexplicabley got cut short from the first sentence of Howe's answer.

"We are starting to share things and have some plans, but nothing official."

Howe's loves the conditional and subjunctive tenses as well as the words nothing and no.

We are starting to share things and have some plans, but nothing official. There is a lot of interest, but nothing until we internally have that feeling that we are growing the music together. We may put some time aside over the next 6 months to do a little more of that, it could be very productive. It has to be right, it has to feel right. We have to assemble an outer shell that helps us make the record. It could be exciting, but there are no actual plans or a date or anything like that.

Sigh well maybe by the time Howe is ready to go into the studio ARW will be ready to put out that album a year later
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Sigh well maybe by the time Howe is ready to go into the studio ARW will be ready to put out that album a year later
    As I said in my post on this earlier Howe did say they have put time aside over the 6 months to develop presumably new music so that is somewhat progress (and today we got 2 mins of new orginal music from ARW)

Fans just have to accept that both lineups are taking their time as is their prerogative
    Last edited by xlink_nz; 06-03-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xlink_nz View Post
    As I said in my post on this earlier Howe did say they have put time aside over the 6 months to develop presumably new music so that is somewhat progress
    He also stated elsewhere that they will likely be looking at recording *after* the #Yes50 tour. So later in the year meaning likely release 2019. Which of course would be perfect for the Relayer/New album tour.

And what about that "Mystery Period"?

Whoo!!!!!
    -----
    paul
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    He also stated elsewhere that they will likely be looking at recording *after* the #Yes50 tour. So later in the year meaning likely release 2019. Which of course would be perfect for the Relayer/New album tour.

Whoo!!!!!
    The Mystery Period ends at the start of the upcoming tour. Depending when the interview took place, it doesn’t appear it generated too much in the way of new music based on his answer.

Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post

Whoo!!!!!
    I like your optimism but developing material is a long way from recording and it would appear to me that unless the material is up to the bar Howe has set he won't record let alone release and I personally have no issue with that

To me Howe is taking one cautious step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    The Mystery Period ends at the start of the upcoming tour. Depending when the interview took place, it doesn’t appear it generated too much in the way of new music based on his answer.
    True that, although we don't know when that interview was conducted (it was published 02 June). So we're still in "the mystery period" for a day or so eh?

It is, of course, only our fan speculation that presumed that the mystery period had anything to do with writing. It could just as easily have been the individual preparation leading up to the pre-tour rehearsals. Especially if they plan to throw in something "radical" and/or really quite unexpected for this time out.
    -----
    paul
    -----

March 2014: Davision mentions a song that he says may be on the next album after Heaven and Earth
    May 2014: Downes describes a piece called "Horizons" and says it could be on the next album
    July 2014: Davison says the band are working on the piece and hope it will the centerpiece of a followup album
    March 2015: Squire, Davision, and possibly White meet in Squire's studio to discuss ideas for a new album
    December 2016: Jon Kirkman reports that Yes are "possibly considering an album"
    July 2017: Howe mentions that they are working on material and "have plans"
    June 2018: See original post

Is Jon Anderson secretly involved with this project?

The funny thing is, for all their public and private differences, the "two Yes'" sure seem to have a similar approach to giving a casual reader the illusion that they are making progress towards a new album until you look into it and realize that they have been at the same stage for 5-10 years with no true signs of progress or change.

This isn't rocket science. If you want to make an album, make an album. If you don't want to make an album, maybe say so instead of leading people on, however unintentially. Heck, if Steve really isn't going to do this, maybe the other guys would be freed up to use their existing material intended for Yes on other projects and to more solidly focus on original material for those projects. We might get a couple new Circa: and Asia albums, plus a new Davison project out of the ashes of Yes as a creative entity.

But, really, I think it sucks that Howe or whomever isn't allowing the Yes name to be used on more albums. Its either so far on the back burner or being scrutinized to such standards of perfectionism that most of Yes' catelog would not exist if they'd been approached the same way. Didn't Yes finish its first 6 albums in about the time they've been talking about this one? Or maybe about the time thry've been talking about this one plus a year? And back then no one in the band owned a studio or had studios in their homes.

It might be time for the guys in the band who really want to make this album to have a conversation without Steve and then present a united front and tell him "Here's when we go into the studio and here's the release date. We're announcing it publicly. Be there or we'll do it without you. Or you can fire us and really turn the band into Steve Howe and four random guys.".

This is very frustrating.

It certainly wasn't Chris Squire's vison for the band. That may be part of the problem, no one left has both the desire and clout to get the album made the way Chris probably used to be able to do. Starting as early as 1991, really, Steve seemed to always be the guy who didn't want to get into the studio and make new music- most notably Union and Open Your Eyes where he just wasn't there for most of the recording (Billy called him three times begging him at length to show up, and eventually recorded most of the lead guitar parts himself on OYE), but I would guess that he was probably the voice of "Why are we doing this so soon?" on almost everything from Union on (With the possible exception of FFH). Its just that before, people could override his wishes. Now it seems to be his band and his decision.

Still, I wonder what would happen if the other guys tried to force the issue with him.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 06-04-2018 at 01:40 AM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Was this interview translated from another language?
    From Hovian.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

A year from now we’ll be laughing at just how frustrated we were...

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    March 2014: Davision mentions a song that he says may be on the next album after Heaven and Earth
    May 2014: Downes describes a piece called "Horizons" and says it could be on the next album
    July 2014: Davison says the band are working on the piece and hope it will the centerpiece of a followup album
    March 2015: Squire, Davision, and possibly White meet in Squire's studio to discuss ideas for a new album
    December 2016: Jon Kirkman reports that Yes are "possibly considering an album"
    July 2017: Howe mentions that they are working on material and "have plans"
    June 2018: See original post

Is Jon Anderson secretly involved with this project?

The funny thing is, for all their public and private differences, the "two Yes'" sure seem to have a similar approach to giving a casual reader the illusion that they are making progress towards a new album until you look into it and realize that they have been at the same stage for 5-10 years with no true signs of progress or change.

This isn't rocket science. If you want to make an album, make an album. If you don't want to make an album, maybe say so instead of leading people on, however unintentially. Heck, if Steve really isn't going to do this, maybe the other guys would be freed up to use their existing material intended for Yes on other projects and to more solidly focus on original material for those projects. We might get a couple new Circa: and Asia albums, plus a new Davison project out of the ashes of Yes as a creative entity.

But, really, I think it sucks that Howe or whomever isn't allowing the Yes name to be used on more albums. Its either so far on the back burner or being scrutinized to such standards of perfectionism that most of Yes' catelog would not exist if they'd been approached the same way. Didn't Yes finish its first 6 albums in about the time they've been talking about this one? Or maybe about the time thry've been talking about this one plus a year? And back then no one in the band owned a studio or had studios in their homes.

It might be time for the guys in the band who really want to make this album to have a conversation without Steve and then present a united front and tell him "Here's when we go into the studio and here's the release date. We're announcing it publicly. Be there or we'll do it without you. Or you can fire us and really turn the band into Steve Howe and four random guys.".

This is very frustrating.

It certainly wasn't Chris Squire's vison for the band. That may be part of the problem, no one left has both the desire and clout to get the album made the way Chris probably used to be able to do. Starting as early as 1991, really, Steve seemed to always be the guy who didn't want to get into the studio and make new music- most notably Union and Open Your Eyes where he just wasn't there for most of the recording (Billy called him three times begging him at length to show up, and eventually recorded most of the lead guitar parts himself on OYE), but I would guess that he was probably the voice of "Why are we doing this so soon?" on almost everything from Union on (With the possible exception of FFH). Its just that before, people could override his wishes. Now it seems to be his band and his decision.

Still, I wonder what would happen if the other guys tried to force the issue with him.
    Thanks for pointing out the timeline. Yes and YesF are both equals when talking about new music for years and not delivering.

SR Mega Yesfan

It's not rocket science, no. Rocket science is fairly straightforward. It obeys the laws of physics. Creating art is much more difficult! ;-)

You're dumping the work on the band, demanding a yes/no answer. Is it really that difficult for you to accept that the answer is a bit more complicated than that? I take Howe at face value: they're interested in doing a new album, but they want to see how it goes; and, more broadly, as a band, they have various activities and have to prioritise between them. While not a definitive answer either way, it seems to me an understandable answer.

I don't agree with your notion that they are "leading people on". This isn't a relationship where you're going to move in together with the band and you want to know whether to come off contraception and try for a baby. Most people thinking about buying tickets for the upcoming tour aren't making their decision based on whether or when the band will release a new album. You might call it "leading people on" if you talk about making changes to your set list, people buy tickets for the show and then you don't make any changes (*cough* ARW *cough*), but Yes aren't requiring any commitment or money around this new album, so no-one's being duped. Howe was asked a question and he's given an honest answer.

Henry

SR Mega Yesfan

Heck, if Steve really isn't going to do this, maybe the other guys would be freed up to use their existing material intended for Yes on other projects and to more solidly focus on original material for those projects. We might get a couple new Circa: and Asia albums, plus a new Davison project out of the ashes of Yes as a creative entity.

But, really, I think it sucks that Howe or whomever isn't allowing the Yes name to be used on more albums.
    While it is Howe who talks the most cautiously, I'm not completely convinced by your characterisation of this as Howe holding back the others' well of creativity. If you read the #YES50 tour programme, all five sound as if they are singing from the same hymn sheet. They want to do something, but they want to do it right. Downes and Davison have both previously described the same timescale, i.e. after the 50th anniversary tour. I don't know what they say to each other in private, but maybe they're all equally happy with the current approach.

Meanwhile, Downes and Sherwood are happily doing other projects. I don't see any evidence that ideas being in a holding pattern for a new Yes album is stopping them from moving forward with solo albums, DBA, CIRCA:, Asia etc. (It's simply being busy with touring that seems to have slowed Sherwood down compared to previous years, but that's a different issue.)

Its either so far on the back burner or being scrutinized to such standards of perfectionism that most of Yes' catelog would not exist if they'd been approached the same way. Didn't Yes finish its first 6 albums in about the time they've been talking about this one? Or maybe about the time thry've been talking about this one plus a year? And back then no one in the band owned a studio or had studios in their homes.
    Given how good Yes's albums were through to, say, 90125, it's entirely possible that the band were using a very high standard before allowing a release. The difference from then to now may not be in their standards but their abilities.

Heaven & Earth was released July 2014. So you could say the clock started ticking as soon as it was out. For comparison, ARW as an idea can be dated back to at least Jan 2010, although quite when they started (whatever that means) is less clear... but they definitely had started writing by Apr 2011.

Time since H&E: 3 years 11 months
    Time since ARW definitely had started writing: 7 years 2 months
    Time since ARW born: 8 years 5 months

Yes began Aug 1968 (although they emerged out of Mabel Greer's Toyshop so it's more complicated than that). 3 years and 11 months later would be Jul 1972, the month Alan White joined. So they had released by then Yes, Time and a Word, The Yes Album and Fragile, with Close to the Edge recorded but not yet out.

So, no, Yes had not finished 6 albums in the same time. They had, however, released 4 and finished a 5th.

In the same time + 1 year, they had released 5 studio albums, but had only just begun the Tales sessions, so, they had released 5 studio albums + 1 live album. So they had finished 6 albums by then, if you're including live albums, but only 5 if you're not.

If we take the lower ARW figure, 7 years 2 months, that would go from Yes's formation until Oct 1975. By then, Yes had released Relayer and the first of the solo albums (Beginnings) was coming out. So they had released 7 studio + 1 live album by then.

It might be time for you to drop this fantasy. Where's the evidence that anything like this will ever happen or that it has any resemblance to how anyone feels about the situation? I don't see that the others are that desperate to speed up the process or that they disagree that much with Howe. And, however they feel, I suspect they would never dream of this approach anyway because of Howe's centrality in their being Yes. Whatever the others feel about when to do a new album, I doubt there's much enthusiasm to try without Howe. (You might be fine with the idea of Yes moving on to a new generation of musicians, but I don't think either the market or the current band are.)

I wonder what would have happened if the band had listened to Howe and not released Union or Open Your Eyes, or not released them until significantly more work had been done on them. I suspect Yes would have a better reputation today.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    From Hovian.

Henry
    There’s always that Henry but it appears that no one proof read this one, grammatical errors all over the place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast