Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another “Union” album? How far-fetched is that idea really?

Another “Union” album? How far-fetched is that idea really?

What if each camp produces an EP’s worth of new material...

Couldn’t some label come along, throw everything together,
    and simply release it as a new Union-style YES album?

The members of both camps would never have to inter-mingle,
    and this “album” would have alot more marketing power.

I could even envison Billy reaching across the aisle
    to put on some of the finishing touches.

Is this really far-fetched??
    There is certainly potential for more money to be made.

And jeez-
    if Bruford simply makes a guest appearance on a track,
    I’d bet the publicity goes up even another notch.

|
    | It's not that I want the world to revolve around me ... It just does.
    |

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Re: Another “Union” album? How far-fetched is that idea really?

^
    I wish this would happen
    Maybe this is the mystery period

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

That is never going to happen.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    That is never going to happen.
    It is going to happen in my collection, and It Can Happen in yours...

Quote Originally Posted by altaeria View Post
    and this “album” would have alot more marketing power.
    I'm not sure how you come to this opinion. Separate releases from each band might sell to certain fans but not others, but there will be a substantial overlap. The retail value of one album will likely be less than the combined value of two EPs, so overall I'd guess the album option is likely to gross less than two EPs. Then you'd have to agree how it's divided up.

Is this really far-fetched??

And jeez-
    if Bruford simply makes a guest appearance on a track
    Yes. Now you're in fantasy land.

If a record label thought this was going to be worthwhile, it would already have happened. With ARW having only enough material for an EP and with YESO unsure about worthy material, it woud have made sense however.

SR Mega Yesfan

I don't think it's a far-fetched idea. I suspect the idea has been floated. But, no, right now, it doesn't appear that it's going to happen. Both bands are going their own way.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

I'd like that.

Especially since both Yes and ARW seem to be short on new material. I'd rather have an album than EPs from each band.
    ---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Especially since both Yes and ARW seem to be short on new material. I'd rather have an album than EPs from each band.
    Are (continuity) Yes short on new material? They're taking their time about doing a new album, but I don't see any particular evidence that they lack material. There is nothing to suggest they'll release an EP instead of an album.

Henry

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

^
    Agreed

Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar

The suspense is killing people.

Felt I was being accused of being full of beans.

Finished eating the beans.

JR Yesfan

I keep seeing references to an ARW "EP." Do we know for certain an EP is in the cards and not an album? Are we making assumptions or was there an official announcement I seemed to have missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom Guy View Post
    I keep seeing references to an ARW "EP." Do we know for certain an EP is in the cards and not an album? Are we making assumptions or was there an official announcement I seemed to have missed?

In recent years Jon has sometimes voiced a preference for releasing tracks as and when they are ready rather than doing whole albums. But, of course, he has in fact released new albums both solo and in collaboration with others. Trevor comments on their web site that:

" ... it’s just taking a long time. Not because it’s not going well. It’s almost like when we started rehearsing for the tour. We ended up rehearsing stuff and we realised by the end of it that we had so many choices. The show was over three hours. We’re like, ‘Now, we’ve got to cut down pretty significantly on this,’ and we cut down obviously a lot.

It’s been a little bit like that recording the new music. There’s so many ideas which we’ve catalogued – ‘Oh, we’ve got to utilise that’ and then we’re excited. So, we didn’t finish through on something and we went to the next thing.” We have a ton of categorised pieces which we have together, and it’s just taking a long time to put it all together. But I think it’s going to result in something pretty special if we have the patience to get through it!”

So there seems to be no lack of material but anything could still happen with how and when that all comes to fruition.
    Universe University

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom Guy View Post
    They've said a number of things over the years, but a March interview had Wakeman say it would be an EP.

Henry

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't think it's a far-fetched idea. I suspect the idea has been floated. But, no, right now, it doesn't appear that it's going to happen. Both bands are going their own way.
    I'd call it a "blue sky" idea and I can understand the appeal but I don't believe Jon would countenance having any other singer on a Yes album other than himself.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I'd call it a "blue sky" idea and I can understand the appeal but I don't believe Jon would countenance having any other singer on a Yes album other than himself.
    True. That may be why ideas have not gone anywhere. Of course, he hasn't minded random session players replacing Yes's guitarist, bassist, drummer or keyboardist...

Henry

Is this some kind of sick joke? Tonto Goldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    True. That may be why ideas have not gone anywhere. Of course, he hasn't minded random session players replacing Yes's guitarist, bassist, drummer or keyboardist...

Henry
    Hmm, seems to be a pattern here, but I just can't put my finger on the common denominator. Any ideas? :-)
    Learn to love your enemies, because it really pisses them off. – Anon

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - - Mark Twain
    (let this be a warning to anyone who wants to get in an argument with me. :-)

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

"You can be replaced! But not me."

"If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto Goldstein View Post
    Hmm, seems to be a pattern here, but I just can't put my finger on the common denominator. Any ideas? :-)
    Easy does it Tonto, you asking for a dog pile or talking about a pile from a dog? Something stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    "You can be replaced! But not me."

It's just a back up band anyways

I can't see this happening with the current configurations of both bands. If each band keeping dithering around and not releasing any new material for a couple years and there is a certain combination of retirements or health issues and whatnot, and at least someone who has rights to some variation on the Yes name gets through and puts together a combination of guys who can stand each other enough to allow their songs on the same album as the other group's songs as long as they don't have to be in the room together, with one party responsible for piecing it all together, maybe.

I think there is no way Jon Anderson allows himself to be on a Yes album where Jon Davison is singing a lot of lead vocals, though, and I think continuity Yes should be reluctant to allow Jon Anderson to sing all the songs (Which he might be willing to do- singing both the Yes Featuring and the Yes Official written songs), because it'd totally undermine their viability and legitimacy as a continuing band without Anderson.

Both of these bands should be able to release several studio albums more as they stand now, independently.

Yes Official seems to have enough original material just based on what we've heard about originating with the Heaven and Earth holdover members- and Billy Sherwood could write entire albums virtually in his sleep if he wanted to to add to or supplant that. Yes Official could almost just start with saying "Okay, let's all work up songs together for the album and then have Billy writes the rest and we perform it to complete the album" and release a new album every two years *if they wanted to*. Heck, a band that really wanted to release a studio album but was short on new songs would have held over "Don't Take No for an Answer" to fill a spot on a new studio album instead of it being an added track to a re-release of Fly From Here with a different vocalist. But Steve Howe doesn't seem want to release new studio albums on a frequent basis if at all.

Yes Featuring seems in disarray. However, if Trevor Rabin were to say contribute that half a solo studio album that he claims to have started and shelved to the project with Jon on some vocals, added to some songs that start with essentially what would have otherwise been Wakeman's prolific solo piano things that he releases a lot with Anderson and Rabin's bits overtop of it, plus whatever they've worked up as a group, and maybe some unreleased Jon Anderson songs with Trevor Rabin and/or Rick Wakeman fixing them up, they could come up with something. In a real pinch, they could buy songs from outside writers and just perform and expand upon them and release those as part of an album. However, they really don't seem to want to get it done- whether it's just antipathy, perfectionism, disorganization, or some combination thereof, I don't know.

What I do know is that the more these bands don't seem to be active in creating new music under their band names, the more they just seem like bands touring the old Yes standards with a few actual real life former Yes members, and the less either seems like Yes itself, carried on, you know? Part of Yes was always creating new music.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 1 Week Ago at 06:57 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast