Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you only enjoy the band's 70s albums ...

If you only enjoy the band's 70s albums ...

I enjoy songs from all YES albums
    (yet I do acknowledge that there are many clunkers sprinkled in along the way).

So I find it peculiar when I read posts here from people who seemingly dismiss much of the band's output.

If all you truly enjoy is their "classic" stuff from 40 years ago,
    what compelled you to ever register/participate on this message board in the first place?

There are a few albums by THE WHO and RUSH that I really really like,
    but I never considered joining their fan forums since I tend to ignore alot of their material.

Just wondering.
    |
    | It's not that I want the world to revolve around me ... It just does.
    |

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Re: If you only enjoy the band's 70s albums ...

^
    70's YES is the best ,quite simply the best
    Who can not like
    TYA
    FRAGILE
    TALES
    CTTE
    RELAYER
    GFTO

Those were the golden years
    If the band(s) never played anything again other than off these albums i'd be happy

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    ^
    Who can not like
    TYA
    FRAGILE
    TALES
    CTTE
    RELAYER
    GFTO

If the band(s) never played anything again other than off these albums i'd be happy
    Of those, only CTTE and Relayer would appear in my top five and there are a couple that hover on or below mid-table. It certainly ain't consistently better than other periods in the bands history. Having said that, I actively enjoy a good 90% of the band's total output and even their worst album has a few decent tracks. The seventies as a whole are probably over-rated...
    Giddy up, giddy up

Quote Originally Posted by altaeria View Post

So I find it peculiar when I read posts here from people who seemingly dismiss much of the band's output.

what compelled you to ever register/participate on this message board in the first place?

but I never considered joining their fan forums since I tend to ignore alot of their material.

Just wondering.
    I find this funny, especially when you consider that when the band tours, they mostly play the music that they created from 1970 to 1980.

I have a question for you Altaeria, would this forum even exist if Yes didn’t create what they’d created from 1970 to 1980?

Super Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    ^
    Who can not like
    TYA
    FRAGILE
    TALES
    CTTE
    RELAYER
    GFTO

Agreed. As the '70s came to a fitful end, exacerbated by Punk & Disco, so did the best efforts by the post-Beatles "singer-songwriters" such as Sir Paul, Elton John, Carol King, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Joni Mitchel, Todd Rundgren & Paul Simon. (Does anyone even remember that Paul Simon once was a wicked finger-pickin' guitarist? WHAT HAPPENED?!) So also did many BritProg bands begin their own individual slow & torturous declines...Yes, from 1979 onward...Genesis, after Hackett's departure...Caravan...Floyd...ELP...Gentle Giant...Renaissance...Gong...Starcastle... Druid...even Queen.

I imagined...for an instant...that perhaps the newer "supergroups" like Asia, Mike & Mechanics, GTR would carry on, only to realize they were not even trying to be prog in any way, shape, or form. How could ANY band featuring BOTH Howe & Hackett produce such unlistenable sludge? I even saw Asia live...and not even when Greg Lake's vocals briefly replaced Wetton's could I tolerate their output.

Even before JonA left Yes I was underwhelmed by their latter day studio albums. (And certainly afterwards!) Frankly, I might have moved on, until JonA started the band back touring with their previous classical catalog, starting with ABWH (I didn't care much for their "new" music) and on into the early 21st Century. Thank goodness for the advent of the DVD to preserve many of these live concerts for posterity.

Otherwise, with the notable exception of Adrian Belew's noteworthy tenure with King Crimson (I never really cared for Fripp's earlier, rather sterile efforts, which I considered to be more experimental than prog...his work with Eno notwithstanding.) I really stopped following contemporary music at all after my university days, around 1980. On the other hand, following the demise of both AM & FM radio in the USA, "internet radio" enabled me to pick up on many of the neo-prog bands I would have otherwise never known about, like Ozric, Marillion, Flower Kings, Magenta, etc. Some nice music here & there, but not (m)any exceptional vocalists, IMHO.

Those are my opinions. I guess I joined this forum to read about the opinions of others, as much as to stay current on the comings & goings of Jon, Chris, Steve, Rick, and Alan. (If I ever wish to stay current on Buggles I'll join another forum.) jk

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

There are a few albums by THE WHO and RUSH that I really really like, but I never considered joining their fan forums since I tend to ignore alot of their material.
    I have this sort of philosophy myself, I suppose, in that I only become involved in a fandom if I consider myself a fairly die-hard fan. That said, there's a whole chunk of Yesstory I haven't really paid much attention to, musically-speaking, but I just don't involve myself in those discussions because why would I? But anyway, people like what they like - there's a demographic of Trevor fans who are really only fans of his career in the 1980s and I used to be rather mystified by that but it's fine. It's not something I have to worry about or be emotionally-invested in trying to get them to change their minds.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

While I like a range of Yes music, the 70s albums are the ones I love and still get most excited about, and experience more emotionally. (Just yesterday I got briefly scared listening to Gates of Delirium while walking through a park, so stopped to sit on a bench to recover. I don't normally scare easily, but Relayer sometimes achieves it.)

I came across Yesfans last year when searching online for any information about a likely setlist for ARW. When I followed the link to here, I discovered that Yesfans didn't actually seem to know, but were nevertheless arguing about it. That rather fascinated me. I guess it still does, because I'm still here!
    Last edited by Susanne; 1 Week Ago at 02:47 PM. Reason: wrong song title!

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Just wondering.
    Because the site isn't called "yesfansofspecificerasonly.com"

I'm sure discussion of "a few albums by THE WHO and RUSH" that you "really really like" would be neither unwelcome nor out of place on those band's respective forums.
    Same with here.
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Totally agree with the op. There are 3 or 4 albums by David Bowie I truly adore. But there are so many more I don't like or am not interested in. It wouldn't cross my mind to join a DB forum to say that there's nothing good beyond Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and Low.

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Of those, only CTTE and Relayer would appear in my top five and there are a couple that hover on or below mid-table. It certainly ain't consistently better than other periods in the bands history. Having said that, I actively enjoy a good 90% of the band's total output and even their worst album has a few decent tracks. The seventies as a whole are probably over-rated...
    I agree, great manifesto... the musical-nucleus of Yes, its DNA is something that goes beyond categories like prog or pop. It just picks itself musical costumes. My two favourite Albums are from the 70s but all in all agree, the 70s are overrated.

By the way, I find the lowest common denominator of Yes in Chris Squires bass and singing, other might have other experiences...

I only listen to live songs from the '70s and '80s now because the studio versions are too over familiar. And while I think the '70s and '80s albums are far and away the band's best work, I would rather listen and talk about the newer music. And some of the '70s Yes music is overrated IMO, Fragile especially.

And, gulp, Relayer. (although once upon a time, it was probably the most underrated Yes album)

70s Yes overrated? LOL! You guys crack me up!

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp on Attack View Post
    Totally agree with the op. There are 3 or 4 albums by David Bowie I truly adore. But there are so many more I don't like or am not interested in. It wouldn't cross my mind to join a DB forum to say that there's nothing good beyond Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and Low.
    I think Ziggy Stardust is vastly overrated, the songs are at least better than the uninspired Music. Aladin Sane is much better, But Bowies golden series IMHO goes from Young American over Station To Station, Low, Heroes and Lodger to Scary Monsters. After that The Buddha Of Suburbia and parts of Outside do reach that Niveau - oh and Yes a real musical witches-brew is Let's Dance, but the only the song.

I've managed to find a little something to like about every Yes album - although on occasion it's been a very little something.

I enjoy the entirety of all of the studio albums from The Yes Album though GFTO - for me, every note and every beat of every song is exactly what it's supposed to be, as though there is an unquestionable logic to the music. From Tormato forward (and on the first two albums), there is at least one song (and sometimes many) on each album that I don't really enjoy so much. Still a whole lot to love, but never the entire album as a whole, and sometimes only one or two songs.

That being said, I know that I want to be blown away by new albums, because of how much I look forward to new music from them each and every time - probably more than any other artist. These are some of my favourite musicians, after all.
    -Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Davey1727 View Post
    And some of the '70s Yes music is overrated IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey1727 View Post
    And, gulp, Relayer. (although once upon a time, it was probably the most underrated Yes album)
    I agree about Relayer being overrated. It's entirely subjective, but I would say that it was probably Yes' second worst album of the 70s in terms of my own personal enjoyment. It went off in a direction that wasn't all that appealing to me. I entirely acknowledge that some of those parts are technically difficult to play, and that it is a good showcase for Yes in the sense of them showing people what they could do. However, I rarely listen to the songs from the album. Technically accomplished or not, I prefer the tunes from a lot of other Yes albums. I think Relayer is generally rated like 16 out of 20 or something in my personal list when we do the rank the album threads.

I wouldn't be upset or run for a beer or something if they played it live and I were there, I like almost all Yes music, it just isn't one of my favorite Yes albums, personally.

As for the general topic of the thread, I enjoy Yes music from every era. I can find songs or parts of songs I enjoy on basically every album from 1969-2014 (2014 being their most recent studio album). I'd love to see more Yes studio albums in the years to come.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

the former Cosmicsurfer Ian Burdon's Avatar

There are 5 Yes albums by my desk that get played regularly. They are The Yes Album, Tales, Relayer, Progeny Highlights, and Fly From Here (original). The most played are Tales and Fly From Here.

Bite me.
    This individual's sentience has been removed due to a terms of use violation

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

The mysterious squirty orbs that possibly originated from one of the the strawberry bricks that was removed on a teakbois Tuesday... it could have something to do with Igor's history... and believe me, Brislin knows it all, but will not tell... when the day comes Rabin reveals his true favorite tone of yellow, some on this site might finally move on to another Yes related web site.

Fleas and bugs in Wakemans keyboards and Howe smelling curry during parts of the Ancient has nothing to do with being here, it's just part of the liquid into sun...

Knowing to much in the long run can get you kicked in the head... and if in the dark, things certainly can go south with the entire situation.
    Last edited by crotale2112; 1 Week Ago at 07:46 PM.

still undefined

Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Burdon View Post
    There are 5 Yes albums by my desk that get played regularly. They are The Yes Album, Tales, Relayer, Progeny Highlights, and Fly From Here (original). The most played are Tales and Fly From Here.

Bite me.
    Rather not, I still need dental work.
    Felt I was being accused of being full of beans.

Finished eating the beans.

It doesn't matter one iota to me which period of Yes one is a fan of, which albums one likes and which albums one dislikes, which lineups people like and don't like, this is an open forum and Yes fans in all sizes are welcome here as far as I'm concerned.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast