Thread: 1968 - 1974

1968 - 1974

Mods, I realize this may not be the correct forum so I apologize. Move it if need be.

A six years stretch, where we went from a fledgling band who put out 'YES" to "Relayer".

In the span of six years what a leap of creativity and musical exploration. Hard to fathom now at 57 and being in an almost, musical "Dark Ages" comparatively that it took place.

GOD I loved the 70s.

Return to Forever, Zappa, Pink Floyd, etc.

Never again I fear.
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

Mega Insane Yesfan

Re: 1968 - 1974

They were certainly extraordinary times for popular music. I'm glad I was alive then. Less so now.

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

From love & flowers in there hair... to where the pen wont stay the demon's wings while pounding out the devils sermon...

yes, a lot in six years, a wild transition and a wonderful time in the first few chapters in the book of Yes... at that time who would have ever thought two Trevor's would invade the musical compound with giant round glasses and a obsession with the color yellow... and at the same time kids like Benoit and Brislin while playing with there toys would wind up on the stage with Yes.

maybe Jon knew all along from the beginning... walking the path of strawberry bricks might have given him special powers, after all " it is no lie, he can see deeply into the future"...

during the early days... it's well known Geoff enjoyed a lot of over breaded fish and chips while practicing to Yes albums... it would be interesting to hear his his take on tatar sauce and how it has affected his roll in yes, good and bad.

could be a good thing for touring back then for Geoff... knowing Wakeman, this amount would have seemed right for a standard tour.

damn..$59.99 for 50 gallons NOT BAD.

Yes it is true... the smell of fish and chips and lamb curry dominated the Yes compound for years, this could be why Steve is the way he is today.
    Last edited by crotale2112; 05-04-2018 at 10:47 AM.

still undefined

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeTheDesert View Post
    Mods, I realize this may not be the correct forum so I apologize. Move it if need be.

A six years stretch, where we went from a fledgling band who put out 'YES" to "Relayer".

In the span of six years what a leap of creativity and musical exploration. Hard to fathom now at 57 and being in an almost, musical "Dark Ages" comparatively that it took place.

GOD I loved the 70s.

Never again I fear.
    Punk killed all that and music never really recovered...

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    From love & flowers in there hair... to where the pen wont stay the demon's wings while pounding out the devils sermon...

yes, a lot in six years, a wild transition and a wonderful time in the first few chapters in the book of Yes... at that time who would have ever thought two Trevor's would invade the musical compound with giant round glasses and a obsession with the color yellow... and at the same time kids like Benoit and Brislin while playing with there toys would wind up on the stage with Yes.

maybe Jon knew all along from the beginning... walking the path of strawberry bricks might have given him special powers, after all " it is no lie, he can see deeply into the future"...

during the early days... it's well known Geoff enjoyed a lot of over breaded fish and chips while practicing to Yes albums... it would be interesting to hear his his take on tatar sauce and how it has affected his roll in yes, good and bad.

could be a good thing for touring back then for Geoff... knowing Wakeman, this amount would have seemed right for a standard tour.

damn..$59.99 for 50 gallons NOT BAD.

Yes it is true... the smell of fish and chips and lamb curry dominated the Yes compound for years, this could be why Steve is the way he is today.
    Dude, I really need some of whatever it is you are smokin'.

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    Fly, Eagles, Fly From Here
    What, me worry?

I’d really like to know what happened after Relayer, the offer for a Wakeman to come back, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeTheDesert View Post

GOD I loved the 70s.

Never again I fear.
    Irony upon irony most of the band in 68 was gone in 74 in some cases long gone
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    I’d really like to know what happened after Relayer, the offer for a Wakeman to come back, etc.
    I’ve searched through old threads trying to find info about that, but nothing.
    Maybe Henry knows more details...

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Before you were born, laddie, before you were born.

It was good times for music that's for sure. New and interesting music on the radio even. Hard to find on the radio now, but there are a lot of great bands out there now if you look on line.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    "Brian Lane"
    -----
    paul
    -----

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Irony upon irony most of the band in 2008 was gone after 2015 in some cases long gone. Such is Yes

Seeker

1968 was a time of exploration, reaching out, pushing the envelope. Apollo was taking humans to the Moon, '2001: A Odyssey' was probing the future of the human race, supersonic transports were being designed, the oceans were being explored from the inside, and optimism was rampant.

By 1974, we had turned our backs on space, Vietnam was a national disgrace for the U.S., Richard Nixon had proven that he was a crook, and the focus seemed to be on our differences, instead of what bound us together.
    When 'Yes' is the answer, anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Irony upon irony most of the band in 2008 was gone after 2015 in some cases long gone. Such is Yes
    And yet you say there can be no more changes post 2018
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Quote Originally Posted by scootwhoman View Post
    1968 was a time of exploration, reaching out, pushing the envelope. Apollo was taking humans to the Moon, '2001: A Odyssey' was probing the future of the human race, supersonic transports were being designed, the oceans were being explored from the inside, and optimism was rampant.

By 1974, we had turned our backs on space, Vietnam was a national disgrace for the U.S., Richard Nixon had proven that he was a crook, and the focus seemed to be on our differences, instead of what bound us together.
    A bit of revisionist history I'm afraid. I would argue the exact opposite (and neither of us is probably correct 100%).

1968 - continuation of riots, Vietnam saw the Tet offensive and I believe it worst casualty year. Civil Rights were still being fought for.

1974 - the country felt a new sense of power after ousting Nixon and prosecuting Watergate on TV.
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

And yet you say there can be no more changes post 2018
    White's departure will probably be the next one barring some sort of unlikely reunion with some members of YesF.

Some of my other favorite bands all produced "their best" (to my ears) music before the end of 1974, e.g. ELP, Elton John, Chicago, Led Zeppelin. I've often thought about why that year seems to have been such a line of demarcation. A few thoughts:

1. Many bands are most fruitful in their first 3-5 years, after which human nature kicks in and familiarity can often breed contempt, at worst... less tolerance for bandmates' quirks at best, leading to spending less time together > less time writing together > more desire to focus on solo projects. Yes took time off to do solo albums; ELP ended up with the solo-focused Works, Vol 1.

2. Artists are more creative when they are "hungry"; after achieving vast success and a lifestyle of comfort, they can lose the drive to create at the same intensity they had when still trying to prove themselves.

3. British tax law led many UK acts to take a year of exile in/around 1975: ELP, Yes, Zeppelin, others? Might the somewhat dormant time of tax-exile have contributed to a loss of energy from their 70-74 era?

4. Changes in the music biz. Earlier posters noted the influence of punk/disco. I don't have detailed info to back up this thought, but it seems 75 is around the time that music companies started taking more control back from their artists.

What do you all think?

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

I think that 1969 was an astounding year in released music.

Let’s talk, in no particular order, just SOME of the notable albums of 1969:

Abbey Road,
    In The Court Of the Crimson King
    Led Zeppelin
    Led Zeppelin II
    Tommy
    Hot Rats
    Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Green River
    (CCR)
    Bayou Country (CCR)
    Willy and the Poor Boys (CCR)
    Space Oddity
    Blind Faith
    Santana
    The Chicago Transit Authority
    Blood, Sweat & Tears
    Johnny Cash at San Quentin
    Stand Up
    Ummagumma
    More
    (Pink Floyd)
    To Our Children’s Children’s Children
    On the Threshold of a Dream
    Yellow Submarine
    Aoxomoxoa
    Goodbye
    (Cream)
    Beck-Ola
    Stand!
    (Sly & the Family Stone)
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young with Crazy Horse)
    The Band
    Let It Bleed
    It’s A Beautiful Day
    Clouds
    (Joni Mitchell)
    Hot Buttered Soul

And Prog Rock was just getting up on its tiny little feet, often by bands that didn’t even realize they were laying the foundation, like The Who with Tommy, or The Beatles with Abbey Road.
    KC,
    FZ,
    PF,
    The Moody Blues,
    The Mothers of Invention
    ’s Uncle Meat
    The Nice
    Vanilla Fudge

Spirit’s Clear
    Fairport Convention’s Renaissance

At the beginning of 1969 Yes was already playing their version of Every Little Thing, by the end they were playing No Opportunity Necessary, Eleanor Rigby, and Something’s Coming.

Here’s who they shared the bill with on December 5, 1969:

---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach