Thread: YES: July 24, Classic Amphitheater, Richmond, VA

Insane Yesfan

YES: July 24, Classic Amphitheater, Richmond, VA

#yes50
    #YES50

Yesfan

Re: YES: July 24, Classic Amphitheater, Richmond, VA

These supposedly go on sale today (20 April). Who will be selling them and when, does anyone know? Even the Classic Amphitheater doesn't list it as an upcoming show, much less a link to buying tickets.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mattboyd View Post
    These supposedly go on sale today (20 April). Who will be selling them and when, does anyone know? Even the Classic Amphitheater doesn't list it as an upcoming show, much less a link to buying tickets.

Thanks.
    Have you been to this venue? I clicked on links and found it listed at the Richmond Speedway and immediately thought of Spinal Tap.. Surely this is off site from the actual Speedway vs Yes playing in the middle of a race track..

Is this some kind of sick joke? Tonto Goldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Have you been to this venue? I clicked on links and found it listed at the Richmond Speedway and immediately thought of Spinal Tap.. Surely this is off site from the actual Speedway vs Yes playing in the middle of a race track..
    It's now called "Virginia Credit Union LIVE", pretty snappy using all caps on the "LIVE" bit. It's actually off to the side of the Speedway, and thankfully there's no race that night, so we'll be able to hear the intro to AYAI. Can't imagine how many people Steve would want to kick in the head if stock cars were drowning out all those cool harmonics. Hey at least they're not playing at the State Fair, that's always a sign you jumped the shark. :-)
    Learn to love your enemies, because it really pisses them off. – Anon

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - - Mark Twain
    (let this be a warning to anyone who wants to get in an argument with me. :-)

I just got back from Richmond show.. there were some magical moments this evening.. places where the band sounded as tight as any previous shows I've seen.. highlights for me were opening with CTTE Geoff was much improved on this song vs. when I saw him on the 3 albums tour several years ago.. he nailed everything this evening.. Perpetual Change had some real classic moments with Steve and Billy on fire... encore with Tony was special.. so glad I decided to see this incarnation of the band.. and in closing while Alan played fine throughout Awaken and encore set.. I suspect his days are numbered.. hopefully by his choice.. Jay was tremendous.. he would make a fine replacement.. tempo was where it should be.. perhaps in part due to Billy (who really impressed me this evening) or perhaps in large part due to Jay.. Can't say enough good stuff about this show... no train wrecks with any of the songs.. gotta hand it to the band..

Thanks for the swift review!
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Thanks for the swift review!
    Memory being what it is these days... I figured I better put the surface emotions in writing before I sleep on it and change my mind..haha One funny moment from Steve Howe early in the show he paused and look directly as someone in the front row and said.. "I don't mind you taking a few photos tonight but you don't have to film the whole show.. the light on your camera is very distracting".. Maybe one song later he grabbed a security guy and pointed to the guy in the front row.. didn't see whether the guy got a warning or asked to leave..

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto Goldstein View Post
    It's now called "Virginia Credit Union LIVE", pretty snappy using all caps on the "LIVE" bit. It's actually off to the side of the Speedway, and thankfully there's no race that night, so we'll be able to hear the intro to AYAI. Can't imagine how many people Steve would want to kick in the head if stock cars were drowning out all those cool harmonics. Hey at least they're not playing at the State Fair, that's always a sign you jumped the shark. :-)
    Are we going to get the official Tonto Goldstein review of the show? Did you bring your notebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Are we going to get the official Tonto Goldstein review of the show? Did you bring your notebook?
    Sorry my Brother, I had to earn my keep this morning. Anyway, the opinions expressed here are those of Tonto Goldstein and do not reflect those of our sponsors, Yesfans.com, or sentient human beings anywhere. I like to get the disclaimer out of the way early. I wish I could be as positive as the good and noble Happytheman, but while overall I thought the show was a blast I had some issues with the performances. Having said that, if you can go...GO!

The venue was at a Motor Speedway, so pardon my theme but it seems appropriate. :-)

The checkered flag definitely goes to Steve Howe. He lapped the field several times. He played brilliantly and was so energized and animated. Every stray conversation I heard was about how great his performance was. Anyone who claims that Steve has lost it and can't play some of the old songs (I'm looking at you Sound Chaser) is going to prompt me to run over in my yellow shirt, black shorts and knee high black socks and pull out my red bullsh!t card. That's it, you're done for the rest of the match. Steve is going strong, my prediction is he's got another good ten years in him. So, if you're not a fan of Continuity Yes led by the remarkable Mr. Howe, get a big crying towel, because you're gonna need it. It was really nothing but highlights from Steve, all the iconic guitar bits played wonderfully. My daughter leaned over after Second Initial and said she could listen to Steve play all night.

The unquestionable loser of the race, finishing 195 laps back in a 200 lap was race was "Sound Board Guy". What the hell SBG? Your job's really not that tough. My guess is you suffered a horrible industrial accident and lost the majority of your low end hearing ability...sad really, but get a new job, cuz you sucked! The bass was so dominant in the mix you really couldn't hear anything Jay and Geoff were playing. I was a couple of seats in front of and slightly to the right of the board, so I heard what he heard. The only time I heard Geoff was when Billy wasn't playing. ie: The iconic organ solo in CTTE, the reprise in Does it Really Happen, etc. In my mostly worthless opinion, Geoff's not really cut out for Symphonic Prog, there were never any moments when I went "Oh wow, that was special". It just sort of was, and that's ok, but I think Yes tunes need a little keyboard flair and that was missing.

I think Jay kicks ass, but I really can't say. I saw a lot of cymbals flapping, and sticks a whirring and visually it looked like he was kung fu-ing the bass but thanks to lame-a$$ SBG, I couldn't really hear much of it. And that brings me to Billy. Look man, I think Billy is just in an impossible position. It's a tough ask to have someone step into the big man's shoes. It actually made me kinda sad when they did the Parallels tribute to Chris. That's a tune I love, I've listened the YesShows version hundreds of times, and the version I heard last night was missing the special sauce. The tempo was all over the place (which happened on several other tunes), Steve and Billy seemed to disconnect at least once. But the thing that was most missing was just Chris's technique\ability to bend and shape notes and create that cold fusion between a liquid bass melody and a driving rhythm that is the skeletal structure of the song. Billy's playing technique is a lot more staccato and so there's really no opportunity to create any melodic feel. I think Billy would benefit most from new music, he could create songs that fit his style and not have to try to recreate those iconic sounds. I thought young Mr. Sherwood sounded best on tunes like Nine Voices, Sweet Dreams and Sad Night at the Airfield where there is less of a stylistic mountain to climb. But the iconic bits in Parallels, DIRH, HOTS, the Wurm just didn't work for me.

Going in, I thought I was really going to have to just endure the vocals. But man, Jon Davison has really grown on me. He's always had perfect pitch and a great range, but that timbre has left me wanting. Well last night I was made a believer. There was a little more richness to his tone, but the thing that sold me was his presence and vibe in a live setting. He seems like such an authentic dude, I don't think for one second he's trying to mimic Jon Anderson. He's clearly a fan of the music and he's owning those songs in his own style. I'm glad they have him.

I thought the first two thirds of the show were a mixed lot. HOTS was pretty darn good, I love the newer arrangement of Sweet Dreams, the acoustic Madrigal thing was kind of fun, Sad Night was good, Nine Voices was nice....but then magic happened. They brought out Alan, which was nice, and for whatever reason SBG woke the hell up and adjusted the mix (related to Alan's appearance??? I don't know) but they busted out Awaken and it was brilliant. I got goose bumps and my daughter just said "wow". That brought everyone to their feet and a hearty ask for an encore (that bit has always amused me...seeing the band kind of huddle off to the side of the stage knowing full well they're going to do the encore, but the fans screaming and clapping like so much depends upon it). But the band came out and just blistered the encore set. YIND, Roundabout, and Trooper were just incredible. The entire crowd stood and danced and swayed to the encore set. it was so much fun man. There were some 20-something hipsters in front of us just grooving, who clearly knew and loved the tunes. There was a dad with his 14 year old-ish son, and the youngster was just losing it to YIND, his air guitar was on FIRE! :-) The power of live music is amazing.

All in all it was a great night of music. I'm so glad I got to go and share it with my daughter. She thought it was great music and was amazed at how complex the tunes were in a live setting. (She played concert flute and piccolo in a very good youth orchestra, so she's got a good musical ear) Anyway, long live Continuity Yes!

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - - Mark Twain

Thanks for that elaborate review!
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Thanks for that elaborate review!
    Imagine if I had a better memory, it coulda been a novel. :-)

Sorry my Brother, I had to earn my keep this morning. Anyway, the opinions expressed here are those of Tonto Goldstein and do not reflect those of our sponsors, Yesfans.com, or sentient human beings anywhere. I like to get the disclaimer out of the way early. I wish I could be as positive as the good and noble Happytheman, but while overall I thought the show was a blast I had some issues with the performances. Having said that, if you can go...GO!

The venue was at a Motor Speedway, so pardon my theme but it seems appropriate. :-)

The checkered flag definitely goes to Steve Howe. He lapped the field several times. He played brilliantly and was so energized and animated. Every stray conversation I heard was about how great his performance was. Anyone who claims that Steve has lost it and can't play some of the old songs (I'm looking at you Sound Chaser) is going to prompt me to run over in my yellow shirt, black shorts and knee high black socks and pull out my red bullsh!t card. That's it, you're done for the rest of the match. Steve is going strong, my prediction is he's got another good ten years in him. So, if you're not a fan of Continuity Yes led by the remarkable Mr. Howe, get a big crying towel, because you're gonna need it. It was really nothing but highlights from Steve, all the iconic guitar bits played wonderfully. My daughter leaned over after Second Initial and said she could listen to Steve play all night.

The unquestionable loser of the race, finishing 195 laps back in a 200 lap was race was "Sound Board Guy". What the hell SBG? Your job's really not that tough. My guess is you suffered a horrible industrial accident and lost the majority of your low end hearing ability...sad really, but get a new job, cuz you sucked! The bass was so dominant in the mix you really couldn't hear anything Jay and Geoff were playing. I was a couple of seats in front of and slightly to the right of the board, so I heard what he heard. The only time I heard Geoff was when Billy wasn't playing. ie: The iconic organ solo in CTTE, the reprise in Does it Really Happen, etc. In my mostly worthless opinion, Geoff's not really cut out for Symphonic Prog, there were never any moments when I went "Oh wow, that was special". It just sort of was, and that's ok, but I think Yes tunes need a little keyboard flair and that was missing.

I think Jay kicks ass, but I really can't say. I saw a lot of cymbals flapping, and sticks a whirring and visually it looked like he was kung fu-ing the bass but thanks to lame-a$$ SBG, I couldn't really hear much of it. And that brings me to Billy. Look man, I think Billy is just in an impossible position. It's a tough ask to have someone step into the big man's shoes. It actually made me kinda sad when they did the Parallels tribute to Chris. That's a tune I love, I've listened the YesShows version hundreds of times, and the version I heard last night was missing the special sauce. The tempo was all over the place (which happened on several other tunes), Steve and Billy seemed to disconnect at least once. But the thing that was most missing was just Chris's technique\ability to bend and shape notes and create that cold fusion between a liquid bass melody and a driving rhythm that is the skeletal structure of the song. Billy's playing technique is a lot more staccato and so there's really no opportunity to create any melodic feel. I think Billy would benefit most from new music, he could create songs that fit his style and not have to try to recreate those iconic sounds. I thought young Mr. Sherwood sounded best on tunes like Nine Voices, Sweet Dreams and Sad Night at the Airfield where there is less of a stylistic mountain to climb. But the iconic bits in Parallels, DIRH, HOTS, the Wurm just didn't work for me.

Going in, I thought I was really going to have to just endure the vocals. But man, Jon Davison has really grown on me. He's always had perfect pitch and a great range, but that timbre has left me wanting. Well last night I was made a believer. There was a little more richness to his tone, but the thing that sold me was his presence and vibe in a live setting. He seems like such an authentic dude, I don't think for one second he's trying to mimic Jon Anderson. He's clearly a fan of the music and he's owning those songs in his own style. I'm glad they have him.

I thought the first two thirds of the show were a mixed lot. HOTS was pretty darn good, I love the newer arrangement of Sweet Dreams, the acoustic Madrigal thing was kind of fun, Sad Night was good, Nine Voices was nice....but then magic happened. They brought out Alan, which was nice, and for whatever reason SBG woke the hell up and adjusted the mix (related to Alan's appearance??? I don't know) but they busted out Awaken and it was brilliant. I got goose bumps and my daughter just said "wow". That brought everyone to their feet and a hearty ask for an encore (that bit has always amused me...seeing the band kind of huddle off to the side of the stage knowing full well they're going to do the encore, but the fans screaming and clapping like so much depends upon it). But the band came out and just blistered the encore set. YIND, Roundabout, and Trooper were just incredible. The entire crowd stood and danced and swayed to the encore set. it was so much fun man. There were some 20-something hipsters in front of us just grooving, who clearly knew and loved the tunes. There was a dad with his 14 year old-ish son, and the youngster was just losing it to YIND, his air guitar was on FIRE! :-) The power of live music is amazing.

All in all it was a great night of music. I'm so glad I got to go and share it with my daughter. She thought it was great music and was amazed at how complex the tunes were in a live setting. (She played concert flute and piccolo in a very good youth orchestra, so she's got a good musical ear) Anyway, long live Continuity Yes!
    I was directly behind the sound guy and for my ears.. he did a great job.. I guess I like a little bass..haha.. Billy was brilliant from where I stood.. but again these ears have some mileage on them..

Since seeing the band the night previous to you, I can say I'm with you on the above, for sure. :) Steve Howe is awesome and still on his game.

Just wanted to get that in before I politely disagree on some other stuff, with the caveat that your show may have been different than mine. :)

Yes is a bass guitar driven band. Has been at least since the production thing in The Yes Album where Eddie turned Chris' bass way up in the album mix, rumored to have been somewhat accidentally. That's part of the iconic sound we all love.

I would suggest that the bass *should* be up in the mix. When I see ARW clips online that emphasize it less, it's like "Okay, but where the F is the bass?" (With all due respect to Lee and the other guy they sometimes use instead, who presumably don't control the mix). In the 2015 shows when Billy first came back to official Yes, it was somewhat the same thing, but not to that extreme- his bass was too far down in the mix, his vocals were *way* too far down in the mix, etc..

Sherwood is a special player, and I think the best mixes are where it is him and Steve upfront on their guitars and Juano and Billy upfront vocally. I think their mixes have gotten better over the last few years about emphasizing the bass- maybe they've seen how great Billy is live, partly because he's just that good, and partly because he's gotten readjusted to life on the road, and their confidence in his playing has made them feel confident to push him up to closer to where he should be mix wise, especially instrumentally (Vocals could still be further up than they are).

Geoff does a good job playing the keyboard soundscapes to blend and emphasize others when the music doesn't explicitly call for him to take the lead. I think that's stylistic, and the mix to some degree is designed to enhance that effect by not overemphasizing him. He makes everyone sound better by making the "backing" music fuller.

One thing I noticed the other night was that the band seemed to rock more, which is a good thing, and I think perhaps partly driven by more emphasis on both guitars.

I think Jay kicks ass, but I really can't say. I saw a lot of cymbals flapping, and sticks a whirring and visually it looked like he was kung fu-ing the bass but thanks to lame-a$$ SBG, I couldn't really hear much of it.
    Yeah, the drums should have been further up in the mix at the concert I attended also, I agree there. Jay sounded way better in 2016 than in 2018, and I don't think it's that he's learned too much or gotten tired. :) I could see him back there banging and the sound just wasn't coming through the same way in the mix. I could hear him, he sounded good. It just was more like they decided the drums should be there and not dominate. I like my bass and drums, though- rhythm sections are cool. :) When Jon hit that side drum thing standing up, that came through loud and clear. :) I can't imagine Jay was treading more softly on the main kit, so he must have down in the mix a bit.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I was directly behind the sound guy and for my ears.. he did a great job.. I guess I like a little bass..haha.. Billy was brilliant from where I stood.. but again these ears have some mileage on them..
    Interesting. Could you hear Jay and Geoff from your seats? My daughter has way better hearing than I, and she agreed that keys\drums were hard to discern. I too like bass high in the mix, I'm a huge fan of YesShows and the bass is ridiculously high in the mix; yet you can hear keys and drums. Cheers! :-)

Great review Tonto! Sounds like an entertaining night, especially to enjoy it with your daughter. I agree with everything you said from when I saw them a few weeks ago. Only difference was, the mix came out of the gates perfect. Must have been the venue versus the raceway's acoustics? Because Geoff and Jay/Alan were mixed well the night I went. I agree about the bass, nuance, and also harmonies. Billy does have the biggest shoes to fill, and is almost as close as you can get (other than Miguelbass), but that hole is hard to ignore and fill. Volume isn't the answer... There really is no complete answer. But after seeing both bands, I prefer the power and rocking vibe of Jay/Alan and Billy over the ARW guys. But both bands just bring different strengths and weaknesses. Agree about JD too. He has grown on me and does have his own vibe while paying massive respect to the music. Also one heck of a guitar player. Sorry for my ramblings, but glad to hear you had such a good time :)

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    Great review Tonto! Sounds like an entertaining night, especially to enjoy it with your daughter. I agree with everything you said from when I saw them a few weeks ago. Only difference was, the mix came out of the gates perfect. Must have been the venue versus the raceway's acoustics? Because Geoff and Jay/Alan were mixed well the night I went. I agree about the bass, nuance, and also harmonies. Billy does have the biggest shoes to fill, and is almost as close as you can get (other than Miguelbass), but that hole is hard to ignore and fill. Volume isn't the answer... There really is no complete answer. But after seeing both bands, I prefer the power and rocking vibe of Jay/Alan and Billy over the ARW guys. But both bands just bring different strengths and weaknesses. Agree about JD too. He has grown on me and does have his own vibe while paying massive respect to the music. Also one heck of a guitar player. Sorry for my ramblings, but glad to hear you had such a good time :)
    Thanks E. On the mix, I guess you're right. The man of happy thought the mix was good last night too, but really I couldn't hear Jay or Geoff at all, although we were both near the board. Hmm. I really don't want to disparage or disrespect Billy, I just don't think his style fits those iconic bass lines created by a guy who perfected his own technique and was just a master of creating melodic lines with a rhythm instrument. Like those opening notes on HOTS, where one note just rolls and bends into the next. That's just not a vibe Billy can create with his style. Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but man it's a part of those songs I need. I really do think Billy can own the part if he's allowed to create a few tunes that fit the things he does best. I guess I didn't mention it, but his vocal harmonies were really nice...he was in good voice that night.

Yeah, YesO really rocked last night. Especially the encore set...man that was powerful stuff. I mean really, the venue was probably only half full but people were on their feet and feeling the music, and most of us were geezers like me. Thank God I wore my support insoles, or I couldn't have made it standing through all three tunes. :-)

Great review Tonto. It’s balanced, honest and articulate. No one can accuse you of being a fanboy but it is clear that you are a fan. Well done.

Imagine if I had a better memory, it coulda been a novel. :-)
    Nah...one DBAR is quite enough...

Yeah, YesO really rocked last night. Especially the encore set...man that was powerful stuff. I mean really, the venue was probably only half full but people were on their feet and feeling the music, and most of us were geezers like me.
    The venue capacity is 6000 so half full is a pretty good turnout if that was the case.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    The venue capacity is 6000 so half full is a pretty good turnout if that was the case.
    I thought so. Not bad for a mid-week show on a drizzly night. Also, I live 90 minutes from Richmond, in an area with about 1.7 million people (Hampton Roads Metro, VA) and there was zero promotion for the show. You have to be a diehard Yes fan to know there even was a show happening. I'm not sure if any Richmond area promotion happened. But I have to think better promotion might have almost filled the place. I would bet dollars to donuts if Yes came back to the area in the near future almost everyone at the show would be there. There were a lot of happy people leaving the venue.